Salvation Prophecy: A Space Epic

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
Mind Calamity
Ogre Magi

Re: Salvation Prophecy: A Space Epic

Post by Mind Calamity »

Oh damn... :shock:

If I were you I'd be so proud of myself right about now. :D

That game looks absolutely polished and professional!

The narration fits with the video pretty nicely, I think it's composed and arranged very nicely.

Good luck getting a good distribution/publishing deal!
BitBucket username changed to iboshkov (from MindCalamity)
Do you need help? What have you tried?
- xavier
---------------------
HkOgre - a Havok Integration for OGRE | Simple SSAO | My Blog | My YouTube | My DeviantArt
duststorm
Minaton

Post by duststorm »

I agree it looks very good.
You certainly didn't make it easy on yourself by choosing for close combat battles on planet grouds.

If it's out, I'm buying :)
Developer @ MakeHuman.org
chaosavy
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by chaosavy »

as always looks great :)

I don't know if I mentioned it before but vimeo in the past turned off some video game vids because they weren't artistic enough so hopefuly you have a backup on youtube. Here's some info: http://kotaku.com/5853665/vimeo-vs-indi ... developers

Also one small note on gameplay: when the planet side characters run then stop they appear to stop instantly, if they slowed down for a sec (or whatever non 0 time period) that would give them more weight.
Visit http://www.VoidDestroyer.com to check out my space sim project - Void Destroyer
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

Bravo! Deep respect!
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

Looking really good! Best of luck!
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Jabberwocky »

Thanks folks!
Mind Calamity wrote:If I were you I'd be so proud of myself right about now. :D
My emotions are more "concern" and "stress", but maybe there'll be time for pride somewhere down the road. ;)
chaosavy wrote:but vimeo in the past turned off some video game vids because they weren't artistic enough
Yeah, I've heard about some issues like that.
I have the original videos, but you're right I probably should back up on youtube in case I ever need to switch things over really quick.
chaosavy wrote:when the planet side characters run then stop they appear to stop instantly, if they slowed down for a sec (or whatever non 0 time period) that would give them more weight.
Good eye. I agree.
I'm starting to lock down the code for non-critical bugs or crashes, but if it's an easy change I might slip it in for release. Thanks.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Looks great. Very polished. I don't know much about the process, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a distribution deal through steam or the like.

I think if you could find a way to replace the concept art in the video with actual screenshots, that'd look better. Even if they were still frames that you panned around on, then cut to the live action. It's not that they don't look good, just that real screens are more convincing of the game quality than concept art. But regardless, the game looks awesome.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Jabberwocky »

Heya mkultra333,

Thanks for the encouragement!

The concept artwork is actually used in the intro for the game. I went with digital paintings, since I can't afford anything near the amazing cg a lot of AAA games use in ther intro videos. But I still needed something to convey the backstory for the game.

I see your point about using in-game screenshots. I flip-flopped between that myself for a long time. I chose the artwork instead, because I like the play-off between the stylized artwork and the live footage, and also I didn't have the proper in-game artwork for some of the shots, like at the beginning with the character overlooking the burning city.
jammer
Gnoblar

Post by jammer »

Awesome work here, the graphics look brilliant well done.
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Jabberwocky »

Salvation Prophecy has a new website: http://www.salvationprophecy.com

I got some major help with the tech stuff from Jacmoe. He's got some sick web skills. A huge thanks for that!

It looks like the site is helping already - the game got a nice preview write-up on Rock Paper Shotgun, which is a major heavyweight in the PC games scene: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04 ... -prophecy/
Mind Calamity
Ogre Magi

Post by Mind Calamity »

Great stuff, and you already got tons of positive comments just on that site, I don't know how, Salvation Prophecy definitely deserves more hype ;)

When/if I can, I will definitely buy this.

Also, kudos for the site ! It looks very awesome, the female in front looks like a mix of Asari and Drell (Mass Effect), while the robot in front reminds me of the Geth (also Mass Effect).
- xavier
---------------------
HkOgre - a Havok Integration for OGRE | Simple SSAO | My Blog | My YouTube | My DeviantArt
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Wow, pro-looking site. Excellent.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
duststorm
Minaton

Post by duststorm »

Really nice looking.
I will see if I can pitch this here and there, it really deserves the attention.

And of course, if it's out, I'm buying. ;)
Developer @ MakeHuman.org
chaosavy
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by chaosavy »

Site looks so great!

Congratulations on RPS write up. Looking forward to the release.
Visit http://www.VoidDestroyer.com to check out my space sim project - Void Destroyer
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Jabberwocky »

I recorded a narrated playthrough video, starting at the beginning of the game. I play the Drone Unity character, and talk about:
  • character selection
  • the tutorial
  • and the first planet invasion mission
There isn’t much space ship stuff in this first video, because you don’t earn a fighter ship until rank 2. I’m planning to put up a series of these narrated videos, so I’ll get to the space ship stuff soon.

I'm also making progress towards a distribution deal, but I'm not quite ready to officially announce the details yet.

[youtube]jU-9Ipi7ias[/youtube]
DavlexDesign
Orc

Post by DavlexDesign »

G'day Jabberwocky,

Well, that's a really nice polished looking game there, Kudos to you once again.
Can't wait to try it out when your deal comes through for publishing it.

Alex
areay
Bugbear

Post by areay »

Dude, that was frickin' cool, you've made a real pro vid there.

It's been said before but that GUI is badass; is every menu and overlay effect done in CEGUI? If so, then you've definitely got the best showcase for CEGUI that I've seen. Are you also using CEGUI windows in those scenes in the space station where there's those interactive panels?

I also liked those officer voices, "Injection is mandatory" made me lol.

I see you're loving those Particle Universe effects; I think I saw that teleporter effect used in at least 3 different places :D

About the combat, is there friendly-fire? A couple of times on the planet all your NPC teammates had got themselves into a line and were firing through each other to get at the enemies, I also saw you abort a rocket attack when all your teammates rushed into a crowd of enemies..

Are you happy with the way melee attacks work? You were trying it quite a bit and made it look a little difficult (your NPCs seemed to pwn with it though), are you still tuning that or are you just noob at your own game :D

Bloody nice, can't wait for the next vid.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

areay wrote:Dude, that was frickin' cool, you've made a real pro vid there.
Yeah - Areay is right. :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Mind Calamity
Ogre Magi

Post by Mind Calamity »

I want to play that. NAO! :D

Seriously good stuff there!

The GUI (as mentioned above) is really nice and smooth, and generally good-looking, the graphics are decent, combat too, although the close combat seems a bit clunky, also the space combat - flying around shooting and stuff looked like it felt really well. I loved the voice acting and the general feel of the universe.

2 Questions:

1. What shadow technique are you using ?
2. Are joysticks/gamepads supported for input ?
- xavier
---------------------
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Very nice, really professional and looks like a lot of fun. Player has lots of options in how the approach the game, with the different races and missions, and different types of combat. Great stuff.
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Jabberwocky »

Thanks DavelexDesign, it's been more than a treat watching your work as well.

areay wrote:It's been said before but that GUI is badass; is every menu and overlay effect done in CEGUI? If so, then you've definitely got the best showcase for CEGUI that I've seen. Are you also using CEGUI windows in those scenes in the space station where there's those interactive panels?
Yep, everything is CEGUI except those 3D panels in the station, which is gorilla.
Thanks - it's pretty cool being told your GUI is badass!
areay wrote:I see you're loving those Particle Universe effects; I think I saw that teleporter effect used in at least 3 different places :D
I customized a bunch of the particles, but the Particle Universe media pack has some excellent stuff that i used right out of the box. I totally dig those teleport particles. Everytime I make something appear, I'm like, "Yes! I can use teleport particles!" :lol:
areay wrote:About the combat, is there friendly-fire? A couple of times on the planet all your NPC teammates had got themselves into a line and were firing through each other to get at the enemies, I also saw you abort a rocket attack when all your teammates rushed into a crowd of enemies..
Good eye on the rocket thing. There's friendly fire on everything except the melee attacks. Firing that rocket into a mixed friendly/enemy crowd would not have been a good move.
areay wrote:Are you happy with the way melee attacks work? You were trying it quite a bit and made it look a little difficult (your NPCs seemed to pwn with it though), are you still tuning that or are you just noob at your own game :D
I think it was just sort of a fluke that my friendly troops kept taking out my enemy target just before I got my melee attack off. Either that, or I'm a total noob, and just trying to cover up for it. ;)

I'm "happy-ish" with the melee stuff. I don't think I'll do any more work there pre-release. I fully accept any crits on the melee stuff though, it wasn't something I spent a ton of time on. I've got to learn to make smaller games. :P

For really good melee, you need a lot of animation tweaks. I don't have a full-time animator on board. So I kept melee very simple - play the animation, do a detect query, and slam some damage on any enemy in range. I wasted much of my youth playing Street Fighter 2, so in the future I'd love to work more closely with an animator on a good fighting game.
Mind Calamity wrote:1. What shadow technique are you using ?
PSSM. I also use static pre-generated lightmaps in the space station.
Mind Calamity wrote:2. Are joysticks/gamepads supported for input ?
Gamepads are fully supported, and work really well.
I also support joysticks, but you need to do a little work in the control map UI to set it up the way you want. I tried to make the mappings really flexible, but there's a few things I don't support, like devices that use multiple ports.
mkultra333 wrote:Very nice, really professional and looks like a lot of fun. Player has lots of options in how the approach the game, with the different races and missions, and different types of combat. Great stuff.
Thanks mkultra333.
I like where the game's at. But there's a lot I'd keep on improving if I had more time. It is a risky move combining so many genres, rather than focusing on one and totally nailing it. My hope is that people like the trade-offs of playing a wider reaching game, rather than say a pure space sim. But we'll see!
chaosavy
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by chaosavy »

Speaking of risk (genre mixing etc) - I always consider that it is risky not to be risky - for indies - because (and of course this doesn't apply to everyone) there is basically have nothing to lose (since there is nothing - yet) so taking risks at the start of the project is the only way to go, and if you end up with a space sim/fps/tactics game - well then that's not a bad decision those years back :)
Slappy
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by Slappy »

Video is great!
My opinion: colors are a little dark, I suppose it may be difficult to play for several hours.
And I think this is not an "indie" game - this much more!!!
Cool looking Graphical Installers in NSIS and Inno Setup: http://www.graphical-installer.com - FREE for Ogre projects
I offer NSIS/Inno Setup scripting, C/C++/C#/Delphi programming: http://www.unsigned.sk
Develop NSIS/Inno Setup projects directly in Visual Studio 2005-2015: http://www.visual-installer.com/
or RAD Studio 2009-XE8: http://www.rad-installer.com/