SkyX 0.4 [0.4 version released - Over-cloud rendering!]

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Re: SkyX 0.4 [0.4 version released - Over-cloud rendering!]

Post by Zonder »

TheSHEEEP wrote:
Thoran wrote:Another question on Hydrax would be if Hydrax can generally be used to render rivers instead of ocean?
Would be interested in that, too.
I would think lakes would be another natural one for it to do :)
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

I have a short question concerning the SkyX system. Is it correct to assume that cloud layers are an alternative to using the volume clouds of SkyX? So I only need to setup the cloud layers or only the volume cloud manager and its VCloud data structure, right? There is no sense in combining them both simultaneously?
Yes, you're right: both are different clouds arternatives but can be used at the same time. In some situations you could want to combine them: imagine that you set the VClouds humidity to ~10-40% and there are only a few clouds on the sky, then the subtle layered clouds could look good.
Edit: Another question on Hydrax would be if Hydrax can generally be used to render rivers instead of ocean?
If these rivers are always at the same height, then yes (using the projected grid, like a regular ocean...), but for more realistic rivers, with different heights and waterfalls, no. In the future I'll work on a plugin for rivers, but that will have to wait 1 year, at least.
I would think lakes would be another natural one for it to do
For lakes, you can use the radial grid or the simple grid, but only one lake at the same time.

Remember that Hydrax is a solution for ocean/big water areas rendering, simplier things like multiple lakes or rivers don't require that high level of realism, specially on the simulation part, so Hydrax could be not a good choice here.

Xavier
Thoran
Halfling

Post by Thoran »

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, you're right: both are different clouds arternatives but can be used at the same time. In some situations you could want to combine them: imagine that you set the VClouds humidity to ~10-40% and there are only a few clouds on the sky, then the subtle layered clouds could look good.
So this means, as soon as I want to have more than one cloud layer, e.g. a low cloud layer and a high cloud layer, I need to combine the two, as volume clouds are always only one volumetric cloud layer?
Remember that Hydrax is a solution for ocean/big water areas rendering, simplier things like multiple lakes or rivers don't require that high level of realism, specially on the simulation part, so Hydrax could be not a good choice here.
My personal opinion is that the quality of the water surface rendering and the effect when you look into the water would be perfect for a river, even though I see the problem for waterfalls at the moment.
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

So this means, as soon as I want to have more than one cloud layer, e.g. a low cloud layer and a high cloud layer, I need to combine the two, as volume clouds are always only one volumetric cloud layer?
Yes, exactly.
My personal opinion is that the quality of the water surface rendering and the effect when you look into the water would be perfect for a river, even though I see the problem for waterfalls at the moment.
Yes, the rendering is perfect for any kind of agitated water surface, but the simulation and geometry are far from being a good solution for river rendering. This is why I'll work on a proper river plugin in the future.

Xavier
ahmadi
Gnome

SkyX background color function dont work

Post by ahmadi »

Hi.
How can i get/calculate fog color!?
I want set my fog color to SkyX background color.
There is no function to retrieve fog color from SkyX atmosphere! or even getting ambient or background color.
i tried to use mSkyX->getAtmosphereManager()->getColorAt() but that don't work correctly!
Somebody reported the function bug but in wrong forum
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75854

Thank you for any help.

Ahmadi
panzhiyi3
Halfling

Post by panzhiyi3 »

Thanks for your GREAT WORK!
I have some problem is using SkyX in Ogre Deferred Shading,I put the codes together,but the sky sometimes will disappear,and sometimes sky color mixed with the wall,It's strange :D
panzhiyi3
Halfling

Post by panzhiyi3 »

In deferred shading sample,SkyX looks like this
SkyX.jpg
SkyX.jpg (65.66 KiB) Viewed 7429 times
Xplodwild
Goblin

Post by Xplodwild »

panzhiyi3 wrote:In deferred shading sample,SkyX looks like this
I use SkyX in my deferred pipeline and it works just fine.
panzhiyi3
Halfling

Post by panzhiyi3 »

Xplodwild wrote:
panzhiyi3 wrote:In deferred shading sample,SkyX looks like this
I use SkyX in my deferred pipeline and it works just fine.
I've got it work now.because in my project I used a 8bits depth map,after changing to 16bits depth and change the clip() value in the Ambient_ps(clip(a2.r-0.00001)),problem solved.
Lagger90
Gnoblar

Post by Lagger90 »

hello.

I'm kind of an OGRE newbie and i wanted to add skyx to my project cause well, it would look much better than my current skybox.
Sadly, there is no tutorial and the samples aren't much help in figuring out what i should use and what i shouldn't.

Is there any tutorial out there to show me how to do a day/night cycle?

Also, i did try something but apparently i have a linker problem. Where is the SkyX.lib file? i've been looking for almost an hour, still haven't found it :S
Xplodwild
Goblin

Post by Xplodwild »

Lagger90 wrote:hello.

I'm kind of an OGRE newbie and i wanted to add skyx to my project cause well, it would look much better than my current skybox.
Sadly, there is no tutorial and the samples aren't much help in figuring out what i should use and what i shouldn't.

Is there any tutorial out there to show me how to do a day/night cycle?

Also, i did try something but apparently i have a linker problem. Where is the SkyX.lib file? i've been looking for almost an hour, still haven't found it :S
The .lib is obtained after compiling SkyX. As for the demos... Well they cannot be any simpler I think, they were fairly easy from what I remember.
Mind Calamity
Ogre Magi

Post by Mind Calamity »

[s]Your downloads page is down/404, you should fix that as soon as possible :)[/s]

EDIT: It's not the download page referenced on the OGRE forums, it's the one on your website here. You should still fix that, since it's the one Google decided to index.
BitBucket username changed to iboshkov (from MindCalamity)
Do you need help? What have you tried?
- xavier
---------------------
HkOgre - a Havok Integration for OGRE | Simple SSAO | My Blog | My YouTube | My DeviantArt
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

Thanks for the info Mind Calamity, I've fixed the link problem but I've detected that some other ones are broken around the website.

I haven't fixed them since in less than two months the a completely new website will be available :)

Xavier
Transporter
Minaton

Post by Transporter »

See patch-thread in my signature. I have a patch to use SkyX with Ogre 1.9.0.
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

Thanks Transporter,

I'll be updating SkyX to 1.9 in some months, not much after the first public release of Paradise Sandbox targeted for September since I'll be adding volumetric terrain support via the 1.9 Volume component before the end of the year.

Xavier
Mind Calamity
Ogre Magi

Post by Mind Calamity »

Too bad I hadn't seen that patch before, I patched it myself last night. :D

In any case, good luck with the Paradise Engine. :) I really wanna play around with it once it's released.
BitBucket username changed to iboshkov (from MindCalamity)
Do you need help? What have you tried?
- xavier
---------------------
HkOgre - a Havok Integration for OGRE | Simple SSAO | My Blog | My YouTube | My DeviantArt
Transporter
Minaton

Post by Transporter »

Mind Calamity wrote:Too bad I hadn't seen that patch before, I patched it myself last night. :D
Feel free to add your solution to the Topic. Btw, I also updated the CMake files of SkyX.
scratchyrice
Gnome

Post by scratchyrice »

Hi Xavyiy,

I am eagerly awaiting the commercial/new version of HydraX - you mentioned it would be 60 euro for ogre users per person? Do you have any time frame for this?

Thanks

Scratchy

Intel i7 4790k, Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce 3080 10GB, 16GB DDR3

Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

Hi scratchyrice,

I'm planning to release Hydrax 2.0 (commercial, ~60€ for hobbyist) at the end of the year.

Xavier
nevarim
Gnoll

Post by nevarim »

Hi Xavy

so hydrax for free production si stopped? :(

thanks for your great work §:)

Neva
i'm a noob until proven otherwise :D
used in my project ;) and thanks to everyone :D
Ogre 3d
Mygui
Skyx
Hydrax
MOC
CCS
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

nevarim wrote:Hi Xavy

so hydrax for free production si stopped? :(

thanks for your great work §:)

Neva
The guy has to pay his bills.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
nevarim
Gnoll

Post by nevarim »

eheh

beh was great his work until now :)
i'm a noob until proven otherwise :D
used in my project ;) and thanks to everyone :D
Ogre 3d
Mygui
Skyx
Hydrax
MOC
CCS
scratchyrice
Gnome

Post by scratchyrice »

Hi Xavyiy,

Thanks for the reply - Really looking forward to it. Fantastic work so far!

Cheers

Scratchy

Intel i7 4790k, Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce 3080 10GB, 16GB DDR3

danduk82
Gnoblar

Post by danduk82 »

Hello Xavyiy,
I'm a programmer for the community-based game "Hearts of Oak" , which is currently at very early stage of development by the PiratesAhoy community (a modding community for sailing/pirates games).

We are having a lot of discussion about the engine. Initially we were thinking about UDK, but it really does not fit the scope of the project, especially for the open-world we plan to create. Some developpers are thinking about Cryengine, but I would like to build a small "proof of concept" engine based on Ogre3D, because I would definitely prefer an fully open-source project.

I have seen your plugins, skyx and hydrax, and I wonder if there is an "offical" GIT or mercurial repository. I've found the unofficial GIT repository for Hydrax.0.5.4 (what do you think about it?), but nothing for skyx.0.4. Do you release it only on a "download-the-archive" base?

Moreover, I think you are right with the price you plan to ask for hydrax2.0, but how would it be released? opensource or not? If we plan to use it in our project, how should we pay it? Could we distribute it with the sources of the game?

Thanks for you great work.
Cheers