[Particle Effects] HellHeavenFX Ogre Plugin

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
slemh
Gnoblar

Re: [Particle Effects] HellHeavenFX Ogre Plugin

Post by slemh »

HHVFx wrote:Problem fixed, renamed the directory in Packs/SampleParticlesOgre, the code was correct, wrong folder packaged.
The archive has been updated in-place, same download URL :)
Thanks for reporting this !
The Pack name is wrong. You have an issue that you're unable to rename the Packs folder. the "Packs/SampleParticlesOgre" pack must have been created as "Packs/SampleParticlesEditor" because that will work in your SDK. If the pack folder is named "Packs/SampleParticlesOgre" the texture paths become incorrect and the textures are all Black in the particle effects.
HHVFx
Gnoblar

Post by HHVFx »

damned, sorry about that.
The pack name is meant to be "SampleParticlesOgre" now, the problem was coming from the batch file that generates the ogre resources.cfg file as a post-build event....
fixed (for good now).
slemh
Gnoblar

Post by slemh »

No worries. The dialog is great! I've tried the SDK and also integrated the new version in our project. It's working.
noorus
Halfling

Post by noorus »

You should mention on the front page that unless everyone wants to create their own solution and project files (I don't), this only supports VS 2010+.
Creator of Nice Input Library, for your advanced input needs.
adi
Gnoblar

Post by adi »

hello all,

I downloaded the hellheaven editor to create a particle effect. I have brought over the particle effect created by me

from the location --------- > \Persistant Studios\HH-Fx Projects\Packs\SampleParticlesEditor\HBO\Entities\Particles
to the Ogre Integrated sdk location ------> HHFx-Redist_OgrePublic_2012-10-03_18-53_ndbg_x32\HHFxSDK_OgrePublic\release\application\Packs\SampleParticlesOgre\HBO\Entities\Particles

I can see the name of the new particle effect i created in the Ogresample correctly , However i dont see the effect when i choose the effect.
Question
1> What are the other files apart from the .hfx file that i need to bring over to the Ogresample to see the effect?????? plz help

2> How do i find the other files assosiated with the effect that i created in the editor (in my case i havent introduced any new files to create the effect, just basic )
HHVFx
Gnoblar

Post by HHVFx »

Hi adi !

Sorry for the late reply,
thanks for trying out the editor (a new version is coming up soon by the way, with lots of fixes)

the .hfx only contains the effect definition. If you're using some textures or meshes that are not in the ogre sample already, you'll have to copy them too.

typically from \Persistant Studios\HH-Fx Projects\Packs\SampleParticlesEditor\Textures\...
to HHFx-Redist_OgrePublic_2012-10-03_18-53_ndbg_x32\HHFxSDK_OgrePublic\release\application\Packs\SampleParticlesOgre\Textures\...

The editor wasn't originally designed to be able to pull-out specific effects from a pack, so unfortunately there isn't any way at the moment to detect and extract an effect's dependencies.

However, we already had a few discussions about this internally, and are considering adding a system like in Unity, where you can select a list of resources to "extract" from the current project, the editor makes you a single archived file containing everything, that you can then extract in the target project.
nickG
Greenskin

Post by nickG »

HHVFx,please make build in vc9sp1 for ogre1.8.0 with TBB,or please make publication only plugin source code with needed HHFX API
suny2000
Halfling

Post by suny2000 »

And an 1.9.0 version would be great too :)

S.
http://bulostudio.com: website and devlog of a small indie studio working on SHMUP CREATOR
https://twitter.com/bulostudio : follow me on twitter!
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

suny2000 wrote:And an 1.9.0 version would be great too :)

S.
they won't do that until ogre 1.9.0 is released in sdk form they mention this in the post somewhere
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
Mind Calamity
Ogre Magi

Post by Mind Calamity »

Hey, guys I haven't looked too deeply into this, as I'm just getting started... I was wondering if the OGRE plugin/runtime supports mesh/texture sampling ?

On a side note, it would be helpful if you could list what features are/aren't supported by the free runtime.
BitBucket username changed to iboshkov (from MindCalamity)
Do you need help? What have you tried?
- xavier
---------------------
HkOgre - a Havok Integration for OGRE | Simple SSAO | My Blog | My YouTube | My DeviantArt
smallB
Halfling

Post by smallB »

Have to say, it looks awsome!
Thoran
Halfling

Post by Thoran »

I had a look at the SDK today. What I recognized first is that you only provide vs2010 solutions. A vs2008 solution set would be nice too. Even though vs2008 is getting old by now and there are the express editions, for example I have all my projects set-up in vs2008 ATM. I might switch to vs2012 someday in the future, but currently there is no neccisity for me to do that. So either I recreate all your solutions in vs2008 by hand or decide to exclude HellHeavenFX from the candidate list of engine extensions I am going to integrate into my engine. Alternatively you might want to check out buildsystems like cmake or premake, to easy the pain generating different versions of IDE solutions by hand.
Henukka
Gnoblar

Post by Henukka »

Hey,

I'm messing around with the sample in the SDK and can't seem to find a way to end particle effecs.
(Asside from clearing all particle effects.)

Destroying the SceneNode and MovableObject associated with the effect does nothing.
The only thing I found that seems to be intended for it is IHHFX::StopFX(), but when I try to use it I just get an unhandled exception.

"Unhandled exception at 0x776315de in IntegrationOgre_v1-8-1_Sample_d.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xfeeeff16."

Is there something I'm missing? Whats the correct way to kill particle effects ?
HHVFx
Gnoblar

Post by HHVFx »

Hi guys,

Sorry for not replying since a few weeks. We were preparing GDC and you may have notice our name has changed, HellHeavenFx is now PopcornFX !

So we are currently in San Francisco attending GDC. We do not have a booth but if by any chance you are in SF too, we can arrange a meeting in a lobby. Just drop us a message !

Best
Kissy
Gnoblar

Post by Kissy »

Hello,

how was the GDC 2013 ?

first of all thanks for this plugin, it's really great !
Does the popcornFX editor will work with the hellheavenFX ogre plugin ?

Would it be possible to have a Visual Studio 2012 version of the plugin too ?

Regards
fibriZo
Gnoblar

Post by fibriZo »

I'm messing around with the sample in the SDK and can't seem to find a way to end particle effecs.
(Asside from clearing all particle effects.)

Destroying the SceneNode and MovableObject associated with the effect does nothing.
The only thing I found that seems to be intended for it is IHHFX::StopFX(), but when I try to use it I just get an unhandled exception.

"Unhandled exception at 0x776315de in IntegrationOgre_v1-8-1_Sample_d.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xfeeeff16."
We have exactly the same problem :roll: . For instance, if we needed to light and turn off a torch, how could we implement it?

Thanks for the help and for such a great plugin :)
cycloverid
Greenskin

Post by cycloverid »

Does anyone have this compiled for Ogre 1.9? Does it work?
HHVFx
Gnoblar

Post by HHVFx »

Hello everyone!

We just released the new version of our Ogre plugin and as you probably expected, Ogre 1.9.0 is now supported :)
We also fixed some bugs (IHHFX::StopFX).

HHFxSDK_Ogre_1-9-0

122 Mb download, contains Ogre 1.7.4, 1.8.0, 1.8.1 and 1.9.0 versions.
suny2000
Halfling

Post by suny2000 »

Thanks a lot for the new version !

I'm testing the last ogre plug-in, and I still can't seem to be able to stop FXs.
I tried the IHHFX::StopFX, but it does nothing.
By the way, the demo from the sdk seems to suffer from the same problem : when we press K, the demo should clear the last spawned effect, and it doesn''t work :

Code: Select all

// manually kill the effects
	case OIS::KC_K:
		if (m_lastSpawnedFx != NULL)
		{
			// directly unlink the Fx's Ogre Node
			m_lastSpawnedFx->StopFX();
		}
		break;
Does nothing.

S.
http://bulostudio.com: website and devlog of a small indie studio working on SHMUP CREATOR
HHVFx
Gnoblar

Post by HHVFx »

Hi suny2000,

We are very glad you checked out the Popcorn plugin and your feedback matter a lot to us. :)
We double-checked our last release, and realized that this comment: "// manually kill the effects" might be confusing.

Just to clarify things, the IHHFX::StopFX doesn't literally destroy particles, it just stops the particle spawner.
So if you test it with one of the explosion effect, as the spawner is instantaneous, you won't see anything.
However, testing it with the smoke columns, rain, or whatever effect that keeps spawning particles continuously, you should see the spawning stop.
but the particles will remain in the world for the rest of their normal life.
Is this indeed the case?

We remain at your disposal should you have any other questions.
hydexon
Gremlin

Post by hydexon »

Will be available an Linux version?, will be very helpfully for us!, thanks. your particle middleware is great!
oiram
Halfling

Post by oiram »

wonderful!
suny2000
Halfling

Post by suny2000 »

Thanks a lot for your answer !

I understand better how stopfx works :
Just to clarify things, the IHHFX::StopFX doesn't literally destroy particles, it just stops the particle spawner.
What I wanted to do was to stop an effect and destroy it, in order to remove all the already spawned particles. Is it possible ?

I have some other questions, if you don't mind :
-Each time I start the editor, it re-creates the two defaults projects : SampleParticlesEditor and TutorialParticles. I tried to remove the project using the little trashes, and to physically delete the directories, but they are re-created each time. What I am missing here ?

-I would like to modify by code some FX variables, like the spawn rate of an emitter, for example to control the emission rate of smoke attached to an object depending of it's speed. Is it possible and how ?

Thanks again for your hard work !
S.
HHVFx
Gnoblar

Post by HHVFx »

suny2000>
yes, it is possible with the full popcorn C++ SDK. we'll consider adding this feature in the popcorn ogre plugin.
-Each time I start the editor, it re-creates the two defaults projects : SampleParticlesEditor and TutorialParticles. I tried to remove the project using the little trashes, and to physically delete the directories, but they are re-created each time. What I am missing here ?
Yes this is a known problem, we refactored some things in the editor project-management and workflow for v1.5.4, so hopefully you won't see this problem anymore.
-I would like to modify by code some FX variables, like the spawn rate of an emitter, for example to control the emission rate of smoke attached to an object depending of it's speed. Is it possible and how ?
You can use particle attributes to control the spawn-rate of an emitter : http://www.popcornfx.com/wiki/index.php ... Expression

Attributes can also be used inside any particle spawn-script.
accessing them in evolve scripts isn't yet possible (planned for popcorn 1.5.5, scheduled around february 2014)
you can instead create a custom particle field, copy the attribute to that field in the spawn-script, and use the field in an evolve script.
Of course, if you change the attribute's value, the particles already spawned won't get updated, only the new ones.

You can set attributes in the Ogre popcorn plugin by using the IHHFXOgre::SetAttribute method.

for example, if you declared an attribute named "MyEffectControls" of type float3, you'd do:

Ogre::Vector3 value = ...

fxInstance->SetAttribute("MyEffectControls", value);

oiram> cool ! glad you like it :D

hydexon> the popcorn runtime builds and runs on linux & mac as well, so it could be done. we will keep you updated in this thread if we release a linux version.

Thanks for your interest guys :)
suny2000
Halfling

Post by suny2000 »

One again, thanks a lot for your answers !
So if you test it with one of the explosion effect, as the spawner is instantaneous, you won't see anything.
However, testing it with the smoke columns, rain, or whatever effect that keeps spawning particles continuously, you should see the spawning stop.
but the particles will remain in the world for the rest of their normal life.
Is this indeed the case?
Actually, I still have difficulties stopping and starting effects.
I'm using an infinite smoke :
hhfx->StopFX(); doesn't do anything if I use it just after creating an fx. If I use it later, the fx stop, but I can't start it again using hhfx->RunFX();
I tried creating the fx using params["run"] = "no"; but hhfx->RunFX(); doesn't start the effect at all.
I tried everything, what am I missing here ?

I'm experiencing something else : I'm using a flipbook for an explosion fx, and in debug mode only the last frame stay in my viewport.

S.