SmartBody - a character animation system for Ogre

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
arishapiro
Halfling

Re: SmartBody - a character animation system for Ogre

Post by arishapiro »

All,

I have released a new SmartBody SDK for Windows (r5919) which includes an Ogre integration example.

You can download it here http://smartbody.ict.usc.edu/download.

Update 12/11/14: Updated linux version (r5924) is now available.

Update 12/15/14: Updated OSX version (r5931) is now available.

Regards,

Ari Shapiro
arishapiro
Halfling

Post by arishapiro »

This summer I have an intern working on porting SmartBody to Javascript using Emscripten, in order to web-enable the code base.
We have successfully built SmartBody using Emscripten (except for the Python bindings which allow Python scripting of the system) and are working on a lightweight rendering infrastructure. If anyone is interested in this, our codebase is here:

svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/smartbody/code/branches/javascript

I noticed that there is an Emscripten port of Ogre which we should be able to leverage once we are satisfied with our framework port.This combination would enable an Ogre/SmartBody version on the web.

Regards,

Ari Shapiro
Xplodwild
Goblin

Post by Xplodwild »

Glad to see this is still being worked on :) Keep up the good work!

I'm trying to build/run SmartBody on Android. Besides the fact that there's a bunch of errors in the latest SVN trunk (that can be easily fixed, some OpenGL stuff for occlusion), I can't get the APK to run. The Android_INSTALL.txt readme file mentions copying a bunch of files to the internal storage.
Problem is, the paths in the .txt are wrong. After figuring out that the Ogre resources needs to be in both /sdcard/SbmOgre and /sdcard/sbogreappdir (resources are from the first dir, config files in the second...), I can't figure out what to put where for initPython() to work. This is mentioned nowhere, and as I'm not quite experienced with Python, I'm kind of stuck here. It seems like there should be a /sdcard/python folder (though I'm not sure of the path), and I'm not sure what to put inside.

I hope you can help :)
Thanks!
arishapiro
Halfling

Post by arishapiro »

Ok; we've just checked in fixes for the sbjniapp project under Android/sbjniapp so that it builds properly.

You should be able to build it with running ndk-build in the android/sbjniapp directory.
Does that build for you? We're using version r83 of the Android NDK.

Ari
arishapiro
Halfling

Post by arishapiro »

I have released a new version of the SmartBody SDK for Windows here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/smartb ... e/download

Changes include:
* Support for blend shapes, able to simultaneously blend geometry and textures with skinning information, see example here: [youtube]MsyuERhwRoo[/youtube]
* Easy switching between custom and Ogre rendering engines.
* Support for script-based control of mouse and keyboard via Python scripts
* Some support for loading .fbx files via assimp library.
* Bug fixes
* More documentation in SmartBody manual.

Regards,
Ari Shapiro
arishapiro
Halfling

Post by arishapiro »

All,

We've posted a version of the web-enabled SmartBody (codebase compiled to Javascript with Emscripten) here:

http://smartbody.ict.usc.edu/Javascript/smartbodyJS/

Please feel free to experiment with this as you wish. We are still looking at ways to optimize asset size, download speed and so forth. Performance is real time with a few characters.
Regards,

Ari Shapiro
arishapiro
Halfling

Post by arishapiro »

All,

We've just released our autorigging and reshaping tool for 3D scans here:

http://smartbody.ict.usc.edu/autoriggerandreshaper

This will automatically rig and skin a 3D model obtained from a Microsoft Kinect, Intel RealSense, Occipital Structure Sensor or 3D model from a scanning cage and allow an export to COLLADA (dae).

[youtube]e1kCK3DKrNA[/youtube]

Regards,

Ari Shapiro
Transporter
Minaton

Post by Transporter »

SmartBody looks very good. The examples are interesting, but I can't use it. I'm not able to get it working with VS2013/VS2015.
Sloopy
Gnoblar

Post by Sloopy »

I know this an old thread, but did anyone get the SmartBody reach animation to work? This is to reach for an object, grasp it and move it somewhere.

I´ve been trying this with the latest version and there are bugs, the arms snaps back and up before descending to the reach position.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks
Last edited by Sloopy on Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.