Glu4D

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
DrMothra
Gnoblar

Glu4D

Post by DrMothra »

Hi all, thought I would share the details of our latest project - Glu4D.
Glu4D is an audio-video communication tool that allows distributed users to communicate and share resources. All the virtual environments have been rendered using Ogre.

Glu4D is different from other communication systems in that you are all embedded in a shared virtual world and the system is designed to be "always on" so that you can have spontaneous interactions and it doesn't have to be formal, unlike video conferencing or Skype, etc.

It also allows users to interact with shared resources at the same time, for example you can all view a webpage together regardless of your physical location.

More details are available on the website. http://www.glu4d.com

A few screenshots:-

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.
areay
Bugbear

Re: Glu4D

Post by areay »

This is a good idea! How are you rendering the web pages within Ogre? How do users bring in new pages or manipulate existing ones?
Last edited by areay on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

That does look interesting. Is it a peer-to-peer or client-server type setup?
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
runfrodorun
Gremlin

Post by runfrodorun »

I really like this; it's new and interesting. I like to see things that are innovative and original; I'm really interested! I'll check it out!
Sass not tolerated
LAY DOWN THE LAW!
When I don't understand a problem, I punch it in the face and try again.
DrMothra
Gnoblar

Post by DrMothra »

Hi, all the webpage rendering is via Berkelium, it's actually pretty straight forward to do. Users move over to the webpage and click on it. Then a different interface pops up and they can then interact with the pages directly, move between pages via relevant buttons or type in new url's.

The architecture is designed to be adaptable - it's possible to switch between peer-to-peer or client-server but for the most part we use a client-server architecture. We can lessen the bandwidth to a degree by not streaming video if no-one can see you or vice versa.

Thanks for the comments, glad you like it!!
DrMothra
Gnoblar

Post by DrMothra »

Yes, this type of communication in 3D can be very different from more conventional forms. It's a bit of a paradigm shift from other applications that do a similar thing. We are still investigating all the possible distribution routes.

Thanks for your comments.