Vector Racer in 8 weeks

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
Trioxin
Halfling

Vector Racer in 8 weeks

Post by Trioxin »

Hi forum :D
As part of my university degree I was tasked with creating "Vector Racer", a pen and paper game, as a computer game.

I decided to use Ogre along with CEGUI to get some much needed practice with the tools while working towards this project.
Total creation time is 8 weeks for the entire project. I've got about 2 weeks left.

While it's not the most spectacular of projects due to the time scale along with some size requirements, I felt the need to show it off so far anyway, since it's essentially my first "finished" project that uses Ogre. :)

Please excuse the terrible JPEG compression on some of the images.

If for some reason you feel the overwhelming urge to play it, there's a release build I quickly threw together in dropbox here built under MSVC 2008:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jer2fx6fq3zvx ... rRacer.zip
Code can't yet be posted due to it being university stuff that isn't yet graded, but I'm cool with posting it all once everything's over. (April 18th)
If you do play it, I should point out that the breadth first AI will not work due to being a terrible algorithm for this size of graph. It's there for "demonstration reasons".

Since I'm posting it here anyway, if you play it could you do me a huge favour and fill out the feedback form?
Negative feedback is encouraged as much as accepted.
http://freeonlinesurveys.com/s.asp?sid= ... f5jf218091

No worries if you don't feel like running windows executables from a stranger though, this isn't my primary source for feedback. Just figured I might be able to grab a few extra responses while I'm here ;)

areay
Bugbear

Re: Vector Racer in 8 weeks

Post by areay »

Good stuff! Lol at your 'racing line' in the 2nd screenshot
Trioxin
Halfling

Re: Vector Racer in 8 weeks

Post by Trioxin »

areay wrote:Good stuff! Lol at your 'racing line' in the 2nd screenshot
Cheers :D
I figured doing a manualobject of lines was a nice simple way to get it done. Could be better though. Ideally I'd have a glow post processing effect on it, but using a CG shader for the terrain is already pushing my luck as far as graphical complexity goes, given how the uni demonstration will be done on my laptop.

Also, thanks for the feedback I've gotten, a few have come from Ogre so far and some useful observations are showing me things I never considered. Like the game doesn't make it inherently clear how to activate AI players, which is done by clicking on their list box item in the new game menu, so I've since updated the new game menu to specifically mention that in the title.