My Flight Simulator

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
alberts
Gremlin

My Flight Simulator

Post by alberts »

After some years of (discontinuous) work, I’m ready to announce the first public release of my first complete application in Ogre.

MyFlightSimulator (Myfs) is a free radio controlled airplanes simulator. Although I plan to incorporate powered models later, it focuses solely on gliders by now. It can be downloaded from http://myfs.agsh.net.

It is free but closed source, although I have released some of its components as standalone open source projects (Camera Control System and Input Control System). I will probably open source other components when polished.

It is currently in its early development stages and failures may occur, although I think the public release is stable enough.

It uses: Below are the mandatory screenshots and a video preview of the first public version I release soon.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by alberts on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
drwbns
Orc Shaman

Re: My Flight Simulator

Post by drwbns »

Looks good, maybe you can add some game modes to it if you haven't started that already. Nice job :)
alberts
Gremlin

Post by alberts »

Thanks Drwbns. And yes, it has :wink: :
  • Fixed axis distance: how far can you go in a predefined direction?
  • Maintenance: stay in the air as much time as possible.
  • Max altitude: how high can you climb?
  • Open distance: how far can you go?
  • Precision: land as close to the target as possible.
  • Speed: get to the finish as quick as possible.
PhilipLB
Google Summer of Code Student
Google Summer of Code Student

Post by PhilipLB »

Looks cool! :)
I wonder, how you simulate the planes? Do you use a physics engine or something home baked?
Google Summer of Code 2012 Student
Topic: "Volume Rendering with LOD aimed at terrain"
Project links: Project thread, WIKI page, Code fork for the project
Mentor: Mattan Furst

Volume GFX, accepting donations.
bstone
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by bstone »

Nice job!
alberts
Gremlin

Post by alberts »

Thx
PhilipLB wrote:I wonder, how you simulate the planes? Do you use a physics engine or something home baked?
I use OgretNewt (Newton Game Dynamics). That was (is) a tricky part. I read a lot of books about how to simulate airplanes but I don’t like how most people do it. Usually, airplanes are physically simulated as a unique rigid body and forces are applied assuming the airplane shape (two wings, a rudder...). I tried something different: the airplanes are built by linking physic objects with joints. Each object has its own physic characteristics, such as mass, drag, lift... No shape is assumed in the engine so it is possible to simulate not so typical airplanes (delta wings, paragliders, hanggliders...).

This method also has its disadvantages: joint simulation is costly and in certain situations some instability may appear.

I’ve added a screenshot of the model editor.
areay
Bugbear

Post by areay »

Nice one alberts
alberts
Gremlin

Post by alberts »

Thanks arey.

I've just released the web and the first public version. It can be downloaded from http://myfs.agsh.net.
NotCamelCase
Greenskin

Post by NotCamelCase »

Heyy everyone, first post here :) I liked the game really even if it's in early stage. One bug : plane parts got separated easily like crazy due to the mouse sensitivity as I moved it left-right. I'm also thinking to choose such game genre to implement for my graduation project but now i'm scared :D
alberts
Gremlin

Post by alberts »

Thanks NotCamelCase.
NotCamelCase wrote:One bug : plane parts got separated easily like crazy due to the mouse sensitivity as I moved it left-right.
This is probably due to the instability problems I mention in the first post. Does this happens in "normal" flight conditions (around 25 Kmh) or in high speed maneuvers? How much FPS do you get? You will need about 40-50 FPS to get it working correctly (disable trees to increase the FPS).
NotCamelCase wrote:I'm also thinking to choose such game genre to implement for my graduation project but now i'm scared
Not so difficult if you simulate the planes as usual (one rigid body) and do not parametrize everything, as I do. Contact me if you need some help.
NotCamelCase
Greenskin

Post by NotCamelCase »

alberts wrote:Thanks NotCamelCase.
NotCamelCase wrote:One bug : plane parts got separated easily like crazy due to the mouse sensitivity as I moved it left-right.
This is probably due to the instability problems I mention in the first post. Does this happens in "normal" flight conditions (around 25 Kmh) or in high speed maneuvers? How much FPS do you get? You will need about 40-50 FPS to get it working correctly (disable trees to increase the FPS).
NotCamelCase wrote:I'm also thinking to choose such game genre to implement for my graduation project but now i'm scared
Not so difficult if you simulate the planes as usual (one rigid body) and do not parametrize everything, as I do. Contact me if you need some help.
Yeah it was flying at high speed. That's why then. FPS was around 45. Handling the plane parts' actions separetely to simulate the whole flight better is pretty good and challenging idea.

Hope it goes well.
alberts
Gremlin

Post by alberts »

Increase "Desired FPS" option to 120 and restart. That should help.
alexiusnexus
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Post by alexiusnexus »

bstone wrote:I tried something different: the airplanes are built by linking physic objects with joints. Each object has its own physic characteristics, such as mass, drag, lift..
I like your idea ;)
Etty
Kobold

Post by Etty »

Nice work, it would be very interesting to add real terrains to the maps. I'm also using terrain paging and pagedGeometry I'm happy to see another use of it.
alberts
Gremlin

Post by alberts »

Thanks alexiusnexus and Etty.
Etty wrote:it would be very interesting to add real terrains to the maps.
Once you find a solution to the seams between pages I'll work on this :wink: .