Virtual Reality Library

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
mitstudent
Gnoblar

Virtual Reality Library

Post by mitstudent »

We would love to hear your feedback about our project which is a Virtual Reality Library that integrates the Microsoft Kinect and a Head Mounted Display to enable programmers to easily develop Virtual Reality-targeted Applications. For graphics rendering, the library interfaces Ogre. Being in its very early moments, It only implements basic rendering functions.

The main featuers of the library are:
  • *Simplicity:
    • *The system is a complete interface for OGRE and OpenNI, i.e. No knowledge of either is needed. Of course we only interface for a tiny bit of Ogre, but it is the basic part: Mesh and Camera loading, scaling, and transformation, and a mainloop function.
      *Uses OgreAssimp to help load majority of mesh types
      *Like OGRE, our Library is Object Oriented
    *Automatic Avateering:
    • *Avateering is basically specifying a rigged model in the scene to mimic the movements of the player in front of Kinect (see video below)
      *Current avateering systems available with Either Microsoft SDK or OpenNI are model-dependent.
      *What we added, is the ability to avateer any model provided that it is hierarchically rigged and its orientation is the standard (height along the y-axis, width along the x-axis, depth along the z-axis).
      *Multi-player avateering under construction
      *We used the OgreSinbad as a basis for our implementation
    *Head Mounted Display-independent. We implemented a class for the Vuzix 920 VR HMD, but the user can use any HMD of his choice, by inhereting from Goggles class and defining functions for *initiating the HMD and retrieving Head position.

* Gesture-detection system:
    • * Easily define theoretically infinite gestures by inheriting from Gesture class.
      * Given joints positions for all joints, user will override detection and action functions.
Two of our very first demos:
[youtube]y032jFLU8J4[/youtube]
[youtube]yfVBrNXu8JQ[/youtube]

(both of them are basically a couple of lines of coding)
To install the program go to https://sourceforge.net/projects/dreamonvrs/ . It is still in the very early phases so let us know what you think.

We are way back behind on documentation and we really apologize for that - our foremost desire from this post would love to hear your opinions before we decide on our next step.
TheSHEEEP
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Re: Virtual Reality Library

Post by TheSHEEEP »

Haven't worked myself with Kinect or any player tracking yet (I'm pretty oldschool when it comes to controls), but this definitely looks useful.

As you are going to make this publicly available, the project is probably going to raise or fall with its samples, usability and documentation, so I'd focus on that if I was you, at least as soon as all the functionality you want in is done.
My site! - Have a look :)
Also on Twitter - extra fluffy
AshMcConnell
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by AshMcConnell »

Cool stuff there :)
cybereality
Hobgoblin

Post by cybereality »