Damned - A Randomized Online Horror Game

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
aymar_fisherman
Gnoblar

Damned - A Randomized Online Horror Game

Post by aymar_fisherman »

Damned is a randomized online horror game for up to 5 players (4 survivors and 1 monster).

Here's a brief video explaining the project:
[youtube]D6xqDVAkdzA[/youtube]

Please, visit Damned Greenlight Page to see some more videos and images, and if you like the project, vote for us there, you'd be giving us an enormous help, each vote is really important to us!

Also, I want to invite you to drop any thoughts or suggestions in our Suggestions Discussion on Greenlight, we're building a very active community there to help us design a better game.

Thanks for taking some of your precious time to check our project, hope you guys liked the game concept and idea!

P.S.: If you see any Ogre-y stuff and you'd like to know how we did it, please, feel free to ask, we can show some specific parts of our code or help anyone achieve good results with Ogre3D!
Last edited by aymar_fisherman on Wed May 29, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scrawl
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Re: Damned - A Randomized Online Competitive/Cooper

Post by scrawl »

I like this idea, and looks great so far!
What libraries did you use apart from Ogre3D?
Is there going to be a linux release?
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

The basic concept is very interesting (and I like horror games - not gore games).

What I'd like to see is how the non-monster players can collaborate or trap each other to escape.
For example, if the monster take time to kill one player, maybe the other player can trap one player as a bait for the monster.
Also, if several players try to get out together, they should be able to interract enough with the world so that they can help each other, even if it doesn't handicap the monster.

Good luck!
aymar_fisherman
Gnoblar

What libraries did you use apart from Ogre3D?
Is there going to be a linux release?
We're using bullet physics, audiere (this will probably change), boost, some Ogre Plugins, and MyGUI :)
What I'd like to see is how the non-monster players can collaborate or trap each other to escape.
For example, if the monster take time to kill one player, maybe the other player can trap one player as a bait for the monster.
Also, if several players try to get out together, they should be able to interract enough with the world so that they can help each other, even if it doesn't handicap the monster.
Great suggestions, I believe they will be able to use one player as bait, the survivors will be able to hold doors closed, so they'll be able to trap other humans. We may think of ways to value cooperation ingame, and encourage playing together as a team.

Thanks.
holocronweaver
Google Summer of Code Student

Post by holocronweaver »

This game design idea is so awesome I wish I had thought of it. Will definitely be chipping in my bit to help your Indiegogo campaign.

Adding elements that encourage both competitive and cooperative gameplay would maximize fun for all kinds of players. Randomization should keep gameplay fresh and interesting.

I really hope this project is well funded. :)
areay
Bugbear

Re: Damned - A Randomized Online Horror Game

Post by areay »

Looks, and sounds, great.

Will there be multiple ways to escape the hotel? In the video the player opens a drawer and finds a key, if that key is essential and if that player isn't working with the other survivors, or the player dies, does the game become un-winnable for the other survivors?

Great idea on having the monster not being able to see the players while not in physical form. Is this a mechanism to avoid the game being a high-speed, rushing, affair?

Floripa? E isso ai :D
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Jabberwocky »

Awesome horror ambience + cool gameplay ideas.
Upvoted on greenlight.
Nice work, guys!
aymar_fisherman
Gnoblar

Will there be multiple ways to escape the hotel? In the video the player opens a drawer and finds a key, if that key is essential and if that player isn't working with the other survivors, or the player dies, does the game become un-winnable for the other survivors?

Great idea on having the monster not being able to see the players while not in physical form. Is this a mechanism to avoid the game being a high-speed, rushing, affair?
Yes, there'll be multiple ways to escape the hotel, although not at the same play through, each one will randomize a way to escape!
When a survivor dies, another survivor has to find his body and collect all the items that player had when he died, that way they'll be able to keep playing, it will never be "un-winnable".
And yes, the monster not being able to see them while ghost is mainly to: avoid rushing the game; avoid overpowering the monster; add more "randomization" to the game (neither the monster or the survivors will know how close is the monster when he becomes physical).

Thanks everybody for the support!
aymar_fisherman
Gnoblar

Hey,

Damned alpha got released on Desura!

We need more suggestions and feedback, so if you enjoyed our project, please, get it on Desura, play it and test it, and drop your thoughts on Steam Greenlight Discussions or on our Forum on Desura, we're reading each one, and some of them are already being featured in this alpha version. We need this kind of help, we want you guys to get involved and contribute to each step on Damned development cycle. So, buying the alpha will allow you to play the game early, test it, help decide what we do next and have fun discovering its flaws, bugs and glitches ;)

Here is the link to Desura again, just in case: Damned alpha

P.S.: Remember to let the application pass through Windows firewall for Public Networks, otherwise the game won't work properly...
holocronweaver

Post by holocronweaver »

I know alphas can be tough guys, but there is no need for cursing...

:wink:
tod
Troll

Post by tod »

Looks great!
Now all I need is 4 suc..friends to ki..play with! Who's with me? :twisted:
aymar_fisherman
Gnoblar

I see what you did there holocronweaver :)

tod, we (the devs) will be online playing (and looking for bugs and stuff) today (July, 10th) at 4:00 PM (EST). You're invited to join us...

Thanks guys.