RealmZero

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
namwenio
Halfling

RealmZero

Post by namwenio »

Blog: http://realmzero.com/blog

Realm Zero – MMO Game

Realm Zero
is an independently developed sandbox MMO game that I started earlier this year. I originally attempted to create this project using C#, but was unhappy with many of the class wrappers for 3D engines. That’s when I decided to bite the bullet and create this project in C++ and enhance my skill set at the same time. Creating an online game has always been a dream of mine, but until now I’ve lacked the resources and knowledge to make that dream a reality.

So what is this game about?
This projects main focus is to get away from the traditional MMO style gameplay which many people have become accustomed to over the years. Players have been spoiled with tab targeted combat, bored by repetitive tasks and consumed by endless hours of level grinding. So the goal is to make a game that both casual and extreme gamers can enjoy without feeling like it’s a life commitment.

Combat System
The combat system will consist of FPS (first person shooter) gameplay with spells, archery, throwing and hand to hand combat. Depending on the players stats & skills determines the effectiveness of weapons or spells. Players will have the option to switch between first and third person camera views.

Full Loot
This game will have full loot rules, meaning if you die all of your items will remain on your grave. This allows anyone to obtain your items and vise-versa, in the event of your death. So make sure and reclaim them before someone else does!

Skill System
The skill system will be composed of several categories that will help define your character. Some players may choose to create a harmless blacksmith, while others will choose to create a powerful mage. The skills system will let you pick and choose exactly what you want, with no permanent commitment. You will be issued a skill cap and can assign the desired skills you wish to learn or forget.

Crafting
The crafting system will be one of the most unique features. The items physical appearance and statistics will depend heavily on the items used for its construction. Magical elements can also help enhance or change the properties of certain items.

For Example: If you create a wooden sword that is composed of a wooden blade and hilt, don’t expect it to do much damage or last very long.

Town / Guard Zones
With the exception of a few towns, towns will have guard zones. Guard zones are not 100% safe, it simply means if someone is caught doing something unjust/illegal guards may be called forth to deal with the situation. This will play the biggest role with the (thievery) skill.

Player Housing
Yes there will be player housing and it will not be instanced! There will be no predefined locations for housing, just rules that govern the placement of housing.

For Example: Houses may not be placed within a certain distance to a monster spawn & must be placed on relatively flat terrain outside of a guarded zone.

Where can I download this game?
This game is currently in development and updates will be posted to this blog as progress is made. The current early ALPHA release is scheduled for 12/20/2013. When it gets a little closer to that time, I will create a submission form for ALPHA testers.
areay
Bugbear

Re: RealmZero

Post by areay »

How's about some screenshots?
drwbns
Orc Shaman

Post by drwbns »

Nice to hear about your network coding. Are you going to release this as open source?
nevarim
Gnoll

Post by nevarim »

it sounds as great :)

waiting screenshpt ;)
i'm a noob until proven otherwise :D
used in my project ;) and thanks to everyone :D
Ogre 3d
Mygui
Skyx
Hydrax
MOC
CCS
namwenio
Halfling

Post by namwenio »

The project is further along than my current blog posts.
I'm trying to publish a new post once a week, currently back logged 8 or 9 blog posts.

The blog is located at,
realmzero.com

Sorry, since this is a game I do plan to publish(run) once finished it won't be an open source project.

Here is a brief fraps video I published to YouTube last month. It demonstrates basic movement, collision, projectiles and collision with duration and distance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MTehi-t0V4

I'm currently still neck deep in trying to finalize the network components before I get back to the fun, 3D code.
Skeleton is pretty much done, just have to finish building out the classes/structures to handle the data & compression.