D

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
dragonblood
Halfling

D

Post by dragonblood »

Last edited by dragonblood on Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
insider
Orc

Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Forgotten Realms

Post by insider »

Kudos, That's a lot of work, keep it up :)
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Looks like you're off to a good start.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
dragonblood
Halfling

Post by dragonblood »

Equipment Sheet

Character Sheet

A Black Dragon

dragonblood
Halfling

Post by dragonblood »

Some creatures

dragonblood
Halfling

Post by dragonblood »

Gelatinous Cube

A Wolf

INFERNO SPIDER

Forest Troll

(Under Maya)

(Under Ogre 3D)

Giant Hill

(Under Maya)

* An ORC

* An Horse

Under Maya

Under Ogre 3d

Last edited by dragonblood on Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N0vember
Gremlin

Post by N0vember »

Wow, that's a looot of work. You do everything by yourself including the 3D modelling ?
It looks actually cool. Kind of old-school feeling.
Congratulations. How many years you working on it ?

I actually started programming my game from scratch after I was so annoyed at how difficult it was to mod Neverwinter Nights, so I empathize completely with your project :)
First we had this mod project with some friends and one day I decided it would be easier to actually code the whole game. (And then at least we could officially distribute it)

Special mention for Planescape and Thief II in my mind :)

(J'ai bien remarqué que tout est écrit en Français d'ailleurs :))
dragonblood
Halfling

Post by dragonblood »

Hi, thanks
It looks actually cool. Kind of old-school feeling.
I didn"t want a AAA game, I think that Unity 3d look alike with each other, game i would like a game with a retro look 2000's years
You do everything by yourself including the 3D modelling ?
Yes, I use Maya for modeling, 3D coat for texturing and Motion Builder or Maya directly for animations.
How many years you working on it ?
I started this project 10 years ago on Irrlicht but i abondoned /restart /abandoned... I restarted in 2015 and i upgraded 3d graphics and 2D interface.

This is a screenshot of my game 10 years ago when i started
Special mention for Planescape and Thief II in my mind :)
I've forgotten Dungeon Master, Eyes of the beholder, Drakan, Land of lore, Betrayal at Krondor & return to Krondor, Quest for glory...

I'm french, sorry for my english...
Last edited by dragonblood on Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
dragonblood
Halfling

Post by dragonblood »

nevarim
Gnoll

Post by nevarim »

a great idea, this kind of game is disappear from videogames planet (game where you have to use brain ^^)

Nevarim
i'm a noob until proven otherwise :D
used in my project ;) and thanks to everyone :D
Ogre 3d
Mygui
Skyx
Hydrax
MOC
CCS
EricB
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by EricB »

I'd hate to be the guy who poo poos on an Idea, but do make sure your game is easily modable into your own IP.

Dungeons & Dragons is owned by Wizards of the Coast, which is a part of Hasbro. The video game rights for Forgotten Realms based D&D games is owned by BioWare. You don't have permission to use their settings, characters, and trademarks. To get permissions would cost millions of dollars (assuming BioWare doesn't hold exclusive rights.) In short, what your doing is in violation of intellectual property laws and trademark laws. This certainly means that when Hasbro, Wizards of the Coast, or Bioware get wind of your game, they will hit you with a Cease and Desist letter. If you don't comply with that, you will be sued. And you will lose.

Typically they'll wait till your game is nearly finished before doing this. To minimize their chance of getting negative press if your product is vaporware. This means you'll be stuck between losing everything you own if you continue working on the game, and starting over and redoing pretty much everything but the engine and gameplay rules.

Thus why I said, make sure your game is easily moddable, and be prepared to lose most of your assets/story work.

And before you go off on "fair use", "non-commercial", "Open Source", etc.... It doesn't matter. The moment someone else downloads a copy of your work, you're violating the three party's above rights. Not to mention just calling it Dungeons & Dragons breaks trademark laws. Which even I can sue you for! Because you're tricking me into thinking this is an official Dungeons and Dragons product. (Brings in the whole question of counter fit goods as well.)

The exceptions to all this is if you live in a third world country. Somalia, North Korean, etc. You might be able to avoid a lawsuit. (Should note, My Little Pony, another Hasbro product, didn't launch C&D letters for IP violations when Pryrite made his MLP racing game in Ogre. However this is rare exception where the IP holders didn't target violators because the viral meme growth of MLP online. I do not believe for a second Wizard will be so kind.)
dragonblood
Halfling

Post by dragonblood »

I will change the name of the game

The rules of D&D 3.5 are on OGL license.
EricB
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by EricB »

dragonblood wrote:I will change the name of the game
The rules of D&D 3.5 are on OGL license.
Rules are not copyrightable, thus it doesn't matter if you copy of the rules of any game verbatim. You can make your game exactly 1:1 D&D with every single rule copied. You're fine there.

IP (laymen terms, story, characters, artwork, settings) is copyrighted. If you call a city Neverwinter. You're violating IP. If you name a god Bane or Talos, you're violating copyright. You add Drows to the game, you open your self up to copyright violations (D&D was originally sued for IP violations by Tolken for using the words Hobbits. This is why they were renamed to Halflings.) You copy artwork too closely you get close to violating IP. If any of the characters from the settings are used in your game... You're violating IP.

So it's not just the name.

Now, if you use one or two things and they're not attached to the Forgotten Realms exclusively (Like Drows) or they're pretty generic like a dwarf named Bronze Beard, you're probably fine. But when you start copying entire story, characters, settings, artwork, etc you're leaving your self with some pretty big headaches and disappointments in the future. Changing the name and not basing it on Forgotten Realms is your best course of action. Let ~your~ game be inspired by Forgotten Realms. Use D&D! Just make sure all the content in your game is original or licensed to you.
dragonblood
Halfling

Post by dragonblood »

IP (laymen terms, story, characters, artwork, settings) is copyrighted. If you call a city Neverwinter. You're violating IP. If you name a god Bane or Talos, you're violating copyright. You add Drows to the game, you open your self up to copyright violations (D&D was originally sued for IP violations by Tolken for using the words Hobbits. This is why they were renamed to Halflings.) You copy artwork too closely you get close to violating IP. If any of the characters from the settings are used in your game... You're violating IP.

So it's not just the name.
What I would say is: if I change the name and delete D&D & Forgotten Realms reference in my posts, wizard of the coast doesn't get wind of my game like you said.
EricB
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by EricB »

dragonblood wrote: What I would say is: if I change the name and delete D&D & Forgotten Realms reference in my posts, wizard of the coast doesn't get wind of my game like you said.
Don't forget to avoid using Forgotten Realm characters, stories, cities, etc. Otherwise it's all for not.
nevarim
Gnoll

Post by nevarim »

rules that you have to see are D20 that are open source and free
maps, special name and sheets are copyrighted
Ogre 3d
Mygui
Skyx
Hydrax
MOC
CCS
dragonblood
Halfling

Post by dragonblood »

nevarim wrote:rules that you have to see are D20 that are open source and free
maps, special name and sheets are copyrighted
sheets is mine !
nevarim
Gnoll

Post by nevarim »

sorry :)
Ogre 3d
Mygui
Skyx
Hydrax
MOC
CCS
dragonblood
Halfling

Post by dragonblood »

some maps

insider
Orc

Post by insider »

You may want to keep the poly count in check, it's a little on the higher side :)