Worldforge Ember

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
Azatoth
Gnome

Worldforge Ember

Post by Azatoth »

This year Worldforgewill also participate in the Summer of Code. The focus is on the Ember client, which uses Ogre. So if you're interested in getting paid to work with Ogre in an established project this might be of interest.

Ember has been using Ogre for quite some time. It also uses a lot of the common libraries withing the Ogre eco system such as CEGUI, Caelum and PLSM2. We are however not experts on 3d and shaders so we would love to see how someone more knowledgeable in the field might spruce it up. All ideas are welcome. On our main SoC site page we provide a couple of suggested projects; these are all however quite detached from Ogre so we would be delighted to see some more Ogre centric project suggestions.
Information on how to best contact us and get started can be found in the links below.

Main page for the SoC at Worldforge here.
Information on Ember.
Development blog.
Ember, GPL virtual world client.
Development blog
Assaf Raman
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Assaf Raman »

It is good to see that OGRE is used with your project. I am also happy for the students this summer – if they like to learn and do hardcore real-time 3D computer graphics – they can do an OGRE project, but if OGRE is too hardcore they can go one level up - use OGRE in your project and still be in the field of 3D gaming. I love it.

Regarding the problem you have of a missing shader export – I suggest you will open up a new thread in the general forum and raise the ideas you need consulting with – all of us on the OGRE side of the world will be happy to try to help you if we can.
Watch out for my OGRE related tweets here.
Azatoth
Gnome

Post by Azatoth »

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to see what the students will come up with.
I think that you however misread "experts" for "exports".
Development blog
Assaf Raman
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Assaf Raman »

No - Just a typo.
Azatoth
Gnome

Post by Azatoth »

I meant that I said that we aren't "experts on Ogre and shaders" instead of that we haven't got "exports for Ogre and shaders". Just a simple misunderstanding. :)
Development blog
Azatoth
Gnome

Re: Worldforge Ember

Post by Azatoth »

Worldforge Ember is participating in the SoC this year also. We had a very successful run last year, with three student's who all contributed code that is now part of the client.
As before, Ember uses Ogre for its rendering, which provides ample of opportunity for a student to work with Ogre in a real application. What's said in the initial post pretty much applies this year too.
My development blog contains some more up to date movies of Ember in action (also available here).
Development blog
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Good to hear you're back again this year!
Azatoth
Gnome

Post by Azatoth »

Sorry to hear that you weren't accepted this year. I had a great time meeting up with Assaf and Brian during the last two years' Mentor Summit meetings.
Worldforge did get accepted this year also though. If there are any students who are interested in working on a project which uses Ogre they might be interested in checking us out. The links in the first post still apply.
Development blog
Assaf Raman
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Assaf Raman »

It was great meeting you the last two years. I guess we will need to meet this year in a different place.
Azatoth
Gnome

Post by Azatoth »

Worldforge will participate in the Summer of Code 2012 too.
As previously this presents a good chance for someone who wants to work with Ogre in an application setting.
More information can be found at https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org ... worldforge
Development blog
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Congrats! :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.