The Ogre Steam Group thread

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

stoneCold wrote:I've got admin rights on [url=steam://connect/194.169.211.15:27080]194.169.211.15:27080[/url]
Although it's (just) a 16 slot server, since it was originally thought for CS:Source.
Brilliant!. I think 16 people will be more than enough.

Now we just need a time.
danharibo
Minaton

Post by danharibo »

I'm at "Work" at the moment so i can't play :(
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

Not on a Sunday though? This is a scheduled game remember.

If we all play at 17:00 GMT, then it's about noon for our American friends. Our Australian friends may have a problem though; it would be 3 in the morning.
danharibo
Minaton

Post by danharibo »

betajaen wrote:Not on a Sunday though? This is a scheduled game remember.

If we all play at 17:00 GMT, then it's about noon for our American friends. Our Australian friends may have a problem though; it would be 3 in the morning.
Well, You can't please everybody :lol:
It could be a rolling match (People join and leave throught the day/evning) might get a bit empty once america and UK go to sleep though
HexiDave
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by HexiDave »

Should be around 1pm my time, so I'm sure to be there. I'll see if I can repair my mic so I can give valuable advice and commentary (shout profanities).

I'll have to fix my spray - the current one is all blurry :(
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Around 8 PM here (Qatar). Will be fine, I have vacations. :)

So what maps are on? I hope Goldrush is there. Is it just Ogre guys only?
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

I only played TF2 during the two weeks when it came out. Played it so much infact my sister wanted a copy for herself so we could play matches together. We both like the TwoFort map, so I hope someone can put that into the rotation.

I'll try and fish out my microphone as well, so you guys can hear my non-Welsh accent.

I would like it to be Ogre people only, but if we are short of numbers; We can our best friends to join.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

betajaen wrote:We both like the TwoFort map, so I hope someone can put that into the rotation.
Heh. I hate 2fort. :roll:

But its fun for sniper wars.
HexiDave
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by HexiDave »

betajaen wrote:I only played TF2 during the two weeks when it came out. Played it so much infact my sister wanted a copy for herself so we could play matches together. We both like the TwoFort map, so I hope someone can put that into the rotation.

I'll try and fish out my microphone as well, so you guys can hear my non-Welsh accent.

I would like it to be Ogre people only, but if we are short of numbers; We can our best friends to join.

The beauty of this game is that just about anyone can play without needing training from NASA to keep from losing it mid-game like the FPS games of old. And, after you take a break, you can come right back and feel at home.

I think the best part about this is going to be how we mispronounce each other's names.

Edit: Oh, I'll make sure to clear out some hard drive space and record some of our (mis)adventures.
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

HexiDave wrote:I think the best part about this is going to be how we mispronounce each other's names.
Well with yours; You can hope someone who has an accent that pronounces their H's as S's. :D

I'm expecting at least 5-6 different pronunciations of mine.
danharibo
Minaton

Post by danharibo »

betajaen wrote:
HexiDave wrote:I think the best part about this is going to be how we mispronounce each other's names.
Well with yours; You can hope someone who has an accent that pronounces their H's as S's. :D

I'm expecting at least 5-6 different pronunciations of mine.
I'm welsh, so i don't think anyone except you will beable to understand a word I say :P
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

I can translate then. Just don't expect me to understand you speaking in Welsh, it's a complete mystery to me.
neocryptek
Gnome

Post by neocryptek »

betajaen wrote:On another note: Does anyone have a copy of the Ogre logo? The face part, I mean. I have a better Steam Group avatar planned but the ones I've found are too small.
How about the SVG one here?
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

Okay. I'm going to put my foot down and set the time at 17:00 GMT, Sunday 13th July.

I just need a server; StoneCold offered one and I think we should take him up on the offer.

@neocryptek

I've been looking for that for ages. Thanks!

[Edit]

New Steam group logo, I'm sure everyone will like. ;)

nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Oh come on... Just a rotate and a few Photoshop filters. Anyone can do that, showoff!

Heh, just joking. Nice work, I sure like it. :)
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

Hey. I made that from scratch using Deluxe Paint III. Photoshop is for nerds who can't paint. :P
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

Okay chaps. Server is running, and HexiDave and I are already in there.

Code: Select all

194.169.211.15:27080
nullsquared
Old One

Post by nullsquared »

I saw the announcement when I was playing CS 1.6. Then I realized I had TF2 on my other account :oops:. My brother uses my other account to play things like GMod while I'm playing CS 1.6, and that's also the account where I installed the Orange Box along with TF2.
Raketenmann
Kobold

Post by Raketenmann »

Too bad i didn't had the time to join yesterday. I wouldn't have been helpfull anyway cause im a n00b i guess :P. However, could someone give a brief report of the event? How many crazy coders joined and who pwned whom? Motivate me to cancel all dates for the next event! :D

Ubercharge ready: Raketenmann
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
HexiDave
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by HexiDave »

Well, I was there with betajaen for a bit (helped him with Pyro achievements for a bit while we waited) and we played a while until Nikki showed up. Poor Nikki kept getting booted due to a ping limit on the server, so it was back to me and betajaen in a game with a bunch of random people.

And, as far as I know, that was it for the Ogre group. I stayed for a while but started getting really weird issues with TF 2 (I didn't get a good screenshot, but we had a Spy-cloaked Pyro on our team and I also got shot by an invisible turret), so I went and did my own thing for a while.

I came back later and played with Nikki (he was on the other team, sappin' our sentries), but my team sucked and I quit in disgust. I got a bit of a laugh at his expense when I fired a rocket at a team mate to check for enemy Spies and inadvertently hit Nikki mid-field with a critical hit from a rocket. Whoops! I also killed half their team during a rocket jump, so it wasn't all bad.

Hopefully, next time we'll get a better turn out. If we get enough people, we can form one side and pull stunts like all-engineers or something.
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

I think it was partially down to those who said they may turn up that they forgot. Perhaps next time, I could get a list of those who want to play and I can contact them directly to join the game.

However; I'm up for another match. But I think we need to password the server next time. The players were good, but they wasn't Ogre players, and didn't know we were just messing around and didn't play to win.

All-engineers sound awesome though; 8 sentries camped around the flag. :)
HexiDave
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by HexiDave »

betajaen wrote:All-engineers sound awesome though; 8 sentries camped around the flag. :)
If I were on the other team I think I'd cry.
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

If you was on Two-fort, you could almost block the two coridors going into the intelligence with them; with the 8 engineers constantly holding back the forces and fixing them up, providing they all work like clock-work - it could be like a fortress.

[Edit]

On a map with a bigger player count; You could organize a secret strike team of heavy, medic, pyro and a solider to capture the intelligence.
HexiDave
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by HexiDave »

I prefer strike teams of gimmicks. Nothing scarier than a team of Heavies coming at you only to go invisible, sap your sentry and then ventilate your spine. A team of Medics surrounding a Heavy or Pyro coming into your base would sure get a lot of interesting responses. A team of marching Snipers comes at you and then the front row kneels down and they all open fire at once like the armies of old - maybe get a Demoman behind them to simulate cannon fire.
stoneCold
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by stoneCold »

Sadly, I wasn't able to participate as well, although I didn't forget about it, but my ISP suddenly decided to have routing problems to/from the USA.
Therefore I was (and still am) unable to login to steam. :evil: :evil:
Maybe the 13th was a bad omen for a first TF2 meeting.
However ... Tomorrow my change to another (more competent) ISP will be finished, and I'll be 100% ready for the next TF2 match.
betajaen wrote:...but they wasn't Ogre players, and didn't know we were just messing around and didn't play to win.
*huh* Seriously, if I play TF2 I'm always trying to win with my team.
Isn't that the main point after all, if you play against/with real people?
Even if I'm sometimes not keen on fighting on the front, then I play engi and am chilling near my sentry (so I at least defend my team / pose a threat) :wink:

HexiDave wrote:
betajaen wrote:All-engineers sound awesome though; 8 sentries camped around the flag. :)
If I were on the other team I think I'd cry.
That's definately fun for a while, BUT ... 2 good demos, paired with 2-3 good spies, the rest medics'n'scouts and the intel will belong to the other team before you can say: "the engi is a spy" :D

So, when would the league of extraordinary TF2 players like to get together next time ?
(I'm really looking forward, since I'm quite sad that I wasn't able to participate because of my ISP probs :| )