Ogre Mascot?

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
toglia
Gnome

Re: Ogre Mascot?

Post by toglia »

Very Cool, it will be a great patner for the ninja!

Have you thought of doing a normal and specular map to add fine details to model?

Look at Batman's "Killer Croc" maybe you could get some ideas for the skin...
toglia
Gnome

Post by toglia »

This skin seems to be more ogre like:
omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by omniter »

Hey toglia,
No, sorry, that doesn't seem like a good idea. Normal maps accompany an already-detailed diffuse texture, to add depth and detail. Since this is a cartoony character, there isn't enough detail on the textures to begin with, so a normal map would look terrible. I favored style over realism when creating Sinbad. You can try it out yourself if you don't believe me. :)
toglia
Gnome

Post by toglia »

Oh, ok. Yeah, cartony is awesome. I wasn't thinking to stick any normal map though, I had in mind maybe detaling stuff a little too. Anyway your right, modern games are so focused in photo-realism these days they sometimes forget to make it fun and stylish...
Skiriki
Gnoblar

Post by Skiriki »

This is a really cool Character and contribution to Ogre and I felt inspired to use it for an assignment:

(I made the pommel golden by accident and left it that way because I thought it worked better for the overall picture (composition wise))
Last edited by Skiriki on Thu May 20, 2010 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by omniter »

Very nice, Skiriki. :D
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Beauty »

I like our Ogre masacot.
So I created an own wiki page for Sinbad after one year without a public home.
(I don't know why, but I needed more than one our for adding just a piece bit of text, a few links and a picture. But I like to spend my free time for Ogre.)

Here it is:
http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/Sinbad+Model

I'm not shure, if the page name "Sinbad Model" is fine.
Maybe I should rename it to "Ogre Mascot", just "Sinbad" or an other name?

Unfortunately I can't embedd the video form VIMEO.
Currently it's only possible to embedd Youtube videos and SWF file for which we know the full URL.
Maybe jacmoe can add the possebility to add VIMEO videos to the forum?

Nice would be if someone adds the direct download URL of the Sinbad model. (I suppose it's a zip package with the mesh and material file.)
It's somewhere in the Ogre repository.

Additionally it could be useful to add a code snippet which shows how to add the model to a SceneNode and enable an animation.
This is easy knowledge for many Ogre users, but would be good for newcomers who wants to come in touch with Ogre. I think this nice model is a good toy for playing with Ogre. :lol:
Alternatively there could be published a tutorial page for this purpose.

If there are mistakes or additions needed, just edit the wiki page.
Help to add information to the wiki. Also tiny edits will let it grow ... :idea:
Add your country to your profile ... it's interesting to know from where of the world you are.
omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by omniter »

Cool, Beauty. :lol:

I'll clean up the page and add a few snippets, sometime in the next few days.
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Beauty »

What in hell ... the time doesn't like me.
I spent the whole evening for this wiki page.
Well, omniter did spend much more time to create the model. So it's like a appreciation to his great work.

I added re-wrote and exteded the text and added pictures of the development.
Even I merged 2 similar Blender pictures in Photoshop into one, because both contained interesting subpictures.

In the wiki I wrote some animations are combinable, because I read something like this. But I'm not shure.
So, omniter, improve this note in the wiki, please.

jacmoe, it it's not possible to add the feature for embedding VIMEO videos, please tell it.
Then we could use the alternative to re-upload it to Youtube, which we can embedd to the wiki.
I want to embedd the video. It's so important and impressive. The tiny video link is too much hidden.
Help to add information to the wiki. Also tiny edits will let it grow ... :idea:
Add your country to your profile ... it's interesting to know from where of the world you are.
omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by omniter »

Okay, I cleaned up the page, added a bit of code, some YouTube links, and found a hacky way to embed the Vimeo video. :lol:
Check it out and tell me if it's missing anything.
koirat
Orc

Post by koirat »

Is there somewhere stand alone ogre mascot, or i have to download full SDK ?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

It's at the mercurial repository:

https://bitbucket.org/sinbad/ogre/src/7 ... dia/packs/ (sinbad.zip)
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Beauty »

omniter wrote:Okay, I cleaned up the page, added a bit of code, some YouTube links, and found a hacky way to embed the Vimeo video. :lol:
Check it out and tell me if it's missing anything.
Wow, you changed many things.
(Well, some parts of my "text creation" was replaced, but your new text is also a good one, maybe even better. )
I like to see that my wiki work gave you inspiration and motivation to improve the Sinbad page.

What I miss? The links which I added.
At least the direct download location of Sinbad.zip should be added:
https://bitbucket.org/sinbad/ogre/src/7 ... dia/packs/
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

You should put a picture of Sinbad's Trophy on there.
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Beauty »

good idea - job is done :D
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

I think we should have a suit made of him, so it can be worn at game developer conferences to promote Ogre.

I volunteer Jacmoe to wear it, sign autographs and have pictures taken of with people. I envision Jacmoe being a dwarf, so if he can dress up as one like his avatar underneath the Ogre costume, it will be extra terrifying; Dwarfs dressed up as Ogres. ;)
koirat
Orc

Post by koirat »

betajaen wrote:It's at the mercurial repository:

https://bitbucket.org/sinbad/ogre/src/7 ... dia/packs/ (sinbad.zip)
I did download this sinbad.zip but it was written that it's 1.8 Mb after downloading it was about 5.5 Mb and the zip file was broken and unable to unzip.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
NaMeLeS
Gnoblar

Post by NaMeLeS »

Sorry to semi-necro this but I do have a small question...
Firstly I would like to congratulate you on this project, it looks amazing!

Secondly and to the point, in the SDK under the readme you have a link to this http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/.

On that page it says you are free to make commercial use of the work. I know this perhaps is not what you intended so is the model free for commercial use or is it not?

Regards,
NaMeLeS
Mind Calamity
Ogre Magi

Post by Mind Calamity »

Yeah, the license seems confusing to me too, by confusing I mean it first says:
You are free:

to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
to Remix — to adapt the work
to make commercial use of the work
But then it contradicts itself with:
Under the following conditions:

Attribution — You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
Share Alike — If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.
BitBucket username changed to iboshkov (from MindCalamity)
Do you need help? What have you tried?
- xavier
---------------------
HkOgre - a Havok Integration for OGRE | Simple SSAO | My Blog | My YouTube | My DeviantArt
LiMuBei
Goblin

Post by LiMuBei »

Not that contradicting. To me that reads like: commercial use is okay in general. If you alter the model or create something new on the basis of it though, you need to make that work available under the same license. Aside from that you have to attribute the author in all cases. I might be wrong, but that is how I understand that.
Last edited by LiMuBei on Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

On that page it says you are free to make commercial use of the work. I know this perhaps is not what you intended so is the model free for commercial use or is it not?
As the license says, you can use the model commercially, as long as you attribute the file in the way omniter requests and you don't change the license.
In the readme omniter says he doesn't need credit, but it would be appreciated. So the attribution clause is satisfied even if you don't credit him.
The share alike bit isn't contradicting the commercial use bit. It means if you modify sinbad to have a different head then release him as part of a commercial game, you can't change the license to stop other people modifying your version and releasing in their own commercial games.
Mind Calamity
Ogre Magi

Post by Mind Calamity »

Ah, thanks for the clarification.
BitBucket username changed to iboshkov (from MindCalamity)
Do you need help? What have you tried?
- xavier
---------------------
HkOgre - a Havok Integration for OGRE | Simple SSAO | My Blog | My YouTube | My DeviantArt