skeleton.xml file

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
dcy
Gnoblar

skeleton.xml file

Post by dcy »

hi, all . I look for the file format fo skeleton.xml. (It's a man's animation xml)
I have some confusion, hope anybody can explain for me

There are three part of skeleton.xml.

first is bones, it's describe the bone imformation, and the second is bonehierarchy, I thought the 'position' of every bone waw the originally postion, but when I draw the coordinate postion by hand in paper, found it was strange, not a human skeleton , so I want to ask the the 'postion' 'rotation' mean in bone part

the third part is animations ,in one animation, in one keyframe, is the 'translate' means this bone relative it's fathdr postion at this time , and what 's the rotate angle and axis mean, in my xml file the 'translate' value were all zero , is that right? or it's mean there was no translate of the child to father node, just according the axis in local coordinate to rotate, to get the child's postion in this keyframe

I know that fool, but hope you can help me ,thank you
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

Bone positions in the first section are in parent space, meaning: They are relative to the parent bone's position. If a bone does not have a parent, then the position is in object space. Same goes for the rotation.

In animation keyframes the translation and all other transforms are in parent space too, but relative to the binding position, which is the position in the first bones section of the skeleton xml file.

It is perfectly normal that most translate-values are zero, animations are mostly rotations. Look at your own joints when you turn your forearm it does not move away from the elbow joint, it only rotates.
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht
dcy
Gnoblar

Post by dcy »

thanks, haffax

Yes, I got what you said. in bone session
the 'postion' relative to the parent bone's position, I want to know if the 'rotation' decide the parent's coordinate, the same in the animation part , there are angle, axis<x,y,z> , I guess that there is a vector<x,y,z> in parent world, then the child rotat an angle anticlockwise to it's new postion, but how to get a bone's local coordinate.

thanks a lot :)