Debian Gnu/Linux Tutorial

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
jabba
Kobold

Post by jabba »

Only the plugins get installed in /usr/local/lib/OGRE, but you don't have to move these if you have the following line in your plugins.cfg

PluginFolder=/usr/local/lib/OGRE
I'm using fedora core3 and the sample can't find the plugins. I did a search for a file called plugins.cfg but nothing turned up. Does anyone know where that file is?
_mental_
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by _mental_ »

The plugins.cfg for the Samples is in Samples/Common/bin which is where you should be running the samples from.
jabba
Kobold

Post by jabba »

Oh. Thanks much.
fog
Greenskin

ogre-plugins-cgmanager available

Post by fog »

Hi *,

new Ogre Debian packages are available, this time including the new ogre-plugins-cgmanager (should it be cgPROGRAMmanager?) "contrib" package. ogre-plugins-cgmanager requires the nvidia-cg-toolkit package, provided separately. I am also planning to package some other plugins in the future, all following the ogre-plugins-XXX naming scheme. but pyogre and CEGUI come first. :D

While waiting for the Debian ftp admins to allow Ogre packages in, I made all the debs available from

http://people.debian.org/~fog/

Have fun,
federico
fog
Greenskin

Debian packages for CEGUI 0.1.0

Post by fog »

Preliminary Debian packages for CEGUI 0.1.0 can be downloaded from:

http://people.debian.org/~fog/cegui/

Currently I have no way to test the packages because there are no Samples included in the release (and I am tinkering with ogre in my non-deb free time). Also the -doc package does not include any documentation; this will be fixed in the next release.

Ogre update: ogre packages are still sitting in the NEW queue. Updated packages (with a non-bugged update-ogre-plugins) will be available later today from my personal Debian page (see above). I am ready to package other plugins, just call your vote.. :D
fog
Greenskin

New ogre packages

Post by fog »

Tah-dah! New Debian ogre packages:
  • 1. Added -dbg package including all debugging symbols in external libraryies located in /usr/lib/debug (gdb will automatically load the symbols from there while normal runs will use the optimized libraries from /usr/lib).
    2. Switched platform and GL support from SDL to GLX (I will probably build multiple packages in the future.)
As always, packages available from http://people.debian.org/~fog/ogre/.

Important note: Debian libdevil1 is giving some problems to Ogre (Shadows example crashes for example), while a cleanly compiled DevIL works well. The problem is being investigated by me and the DevIL package maintainer and will hopefully be solved soon.
fog
Greenskin

Ogre accepted in Debian

Post by fog »

This is the last message about Debian Ogre packages:
Accepted:
blender-ogrexml_0.15.1-8_all.deb
to pool/main/o/ogre/blender-ogrexml_0.15.1-8_all.deb
libogre-dev_0.15.1-8_i386.deb
to pool/main/o/ogre/libogre-dev_0.15.1-8_i386.deb
libogre4-dbg_0.15.1-8_i386.deb
to pool/main/o/ogre/libogre4-dbg_0.15.1-8_i386.deb
libogre4_0.15.1-8_i386.deb
to pool/main/o/ogre/libogre4_0.15.1-8_i386.deb
ogre-doc_0.15.1-8_all.deb
to pool/main/o/ogre/ogre-doc_0.15.1-8_all.deb
ogre-tools_0.15.1-8_i386.deb
to pool/main/o/ogre/ogre-tools_0.15.1-8_i386.deb
ogre_0.15.1-8.diff.gz
to pool/main/o/ogre/ogre_0.15.1-8.diff.gz
ogre_0.15.1-8.dsc
to pool/main/o/ogre/ogre_0.15.1-8.dsc
Announcing to debian-devel-changes@lists.debian.org
I.e., Ogre package are officially in Debian unstable/main and can be apt-get'ted from there. There won't be any other postings about Ogre packages on this thread, just track the packages using your favourite Debian tools. (But I'll probably post updates about other ogre-related packages if the forum admins don't ask me otherwise.)

Important note: The nvidia-cg-toolkit is not yet in debian, so you'll need to grab it from my personal Debian page to install ogre-plugins-cgprogrammanager. nvidia-cg-toolkit has been submitted and will hopefully be included in Debian in a few days (weeks?)
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Woohoo, thanks fog!

Do you intend to continue updating the Debian packages aswe release new versions, or is that handled by the Debian maintainers now?
fog
Greenskin

Post by fog »

sinbad wrote:Do you intend to continue updating the Debian packages aswe release new versions, or is that handled by the Debian maintainers now?
I am the official Debian maintainer for Ogre packages and I will continue to update them. I will probably also maintain other ogre-related packages like CEGUI (already packaged but not yet included in Debian) and some of the Ogre add-ons (like pyogre).

As a side note I didn't know anything about 3D before packaging Ogre (I started working on the packages because a friend asked me) but Ogre clear design and features really hooked me up. I am starting to dedicate quite some of my free hacking time to 3D and Ogre.

Thank you Sinbad and all other Ogre developers.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Oops, sorry, I didn't realise you were all official like ;) Good news, thanks.

Given that you're new to Ogre it's great you jumped in and helped with this so quickly, thanks for your contribution.
frea
Gnoblar

Post by frea »

i've got problem with installing DevIL, when running ./configure i get :
'onfigure: line 15: syntax error near unexpected token `in
'onfigure: line 15: ` case X$UNAME in
(such errors are probably in whole file, but it is ~ 10k lines long ;p)
I've got the newest Devil source afaik - 1.6.7.

the code :
if test "{X$PATH_SEPARATOR=set}" != Xset; then
UNAME=${UNAME-'uname 2>/dev/null'}
case X$UNAME in //15'th line
*-DOS) lt_cv_sys_path_separator=';' ;;
etc..
fog
Greenskin

Post by fog »

frea wrote:i've got problem with installing DevIL, when running ./configure i get :
Is this on Debian? If yes, make sure you're using the .tar.gz distribution of DevIL and not the .zip one. I had problems myself with DevIL-1.6.7.zip. Also try to regenrate configure using the "autoconf" command. Or even the whole autotools chain (./bootstrap.sh from DevIL top-level dir).
alextreme
Gnoblar

nvidia-cg-toolkit

Post by alextreme »

Thanks fog for the packaging effort!

Just wanted to let you know your nvidia-cg-toolkit package doesn't seem to work anymore, as Nvidia updated the version and didn't leave the old one online. Installing it manually worked as expected.
Emmeran
Goblin

Post by Emmeran »

Great tutorials! Why don't u implement these into the ogre wiki?
lgoss007
Halfling

Post by lgoss007 »

alextreme, how did you install this manually? I'm a little new to this debian stuff. Or did you mean you just untarred and copied the files?
fog
Greenskin

Debian packages for 1.0.0

Post by fog »

The Debian packages for the Ogre 1.0.0 release are available from my personal page and can be apt-getted by using the following source line:

deb http://people.debian.org/~fog/ogre unstable main

Basic ogre libraries (including the new EXR plugin), tools, documentation, the CgProgramManager plugin and the nvidia Cg tools are all available from there (i.e., apt-get install libogre-dev ogre-tools ogre-doc blender-ogrexml ogre-plugins-cgprogrammanager nvidia-cg-toolkit will setup a complete ogre development environment)

I also uploaded the packages to the Debian archive but the soname change (libogre4->libogre5) will require some time to be processed.

CEGUI 0.2 and OgreODE (packaged by Pablo Barbáchano) will be available in 48h and I'll start working on PyOgre packages next week.

Have fun,
federico
Fredz
Greenskin

Post by Fredz »

Many thanks fog, can't wait to test that 1.0.0 version. Thank you too Pablo :)
makob
Kobold

Post by makob »

Yihaar! Excellent news, Federico! :D

And nice job setting up your own repository! It helps a lot when you just can't
wait for the ftp-masters to do their thing :P

Cheers,
Jakob
6 times 7 equals 42.
LordMyth
Gremlin

Post by LordMyth »

What's the address of the debian unstable server? I'm using Ubuntu, and their repositiories don't include DevIL and all all those others...
Have a kiss from me!
Gentoo Linux on AMD64 3200+
NForce4 Chipset
Dual Channel DDR 2x512MB
PCX 16 GeForce 6600 256MB
fog
Greenskin

Post by fog »

LordMyth wrote:What's the address of the debian unstable server? I'm using Ubuntu, and their repositiories don't include DevIL and all all those others...
Just use:

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main

or any other country mirror by replacing "us" with your country two-letter code.
lgoss007
Halfling

Post by lgoss007 »

Another Ubuntu user :D

Actually Ubuntu does have DevIL and a few others (not the OGRE packages fog made though). You can get them if you add universe to your repositories.
LordMyth
Gremlin

Post by LordMyth »

Good, managed to install them... where are the samples, media, doc folders?
Last edited by LordMyth on Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a kiss from me!
NForce4 Chipset
Dual Channel DDR 2x512MB
monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by monster »

<offtopic>
@ LordMyth
What's embarassing about running GNOME?
LordMyth
Gremlin

Post by LordMyth »

<offtopic.@monster>
I don't like it because eh... it crashes too much on my installation and I allways manage to mess up the whole thing... I like the simpler windowmanagers/desktops much more. I'm now using XFce4, so I'll change my signature.
Have a kiss from me!
NForce4 Chipset
Dual Channel DDR 2x512MB
fog
Greenskin

New packages available

Post by fog »

New Ogre 1.0.0 and CEGUI 0.2.0 packages are available from my homepage; just add

Code: Select all

deb http://people.debian.org/~fog/ogre unstable main
to your sources.list and then apt-get the packages.

The new Ogre packages (1.0.0-3) include the CEGUI renderer. I compiled all the samples on a clean machine (i.e., with Ogre and CEGUI installed from debs only) and everything worked ok.

Note 1. If you get devil from Ubuntu universal make sure their package does not suffer of the same problems we had in Debian until 1 month ago when I fixed it (some Ogre samples would just crash.)

Note 2. Docs can be found in the ogre-doc package. Samples are not packages because of licensing problems. I sent a pretty long analisys of the licenses to wumpus some months ago (by email) and got no answer. I understand very well why: just checking all the licenses took me 2 full days. Replacing all the problematic models and material would require a lot of work. Maybe the right solution would be to make sure new samples are completely free and place them in a NewSamples folder. Older samples can be ported over time. Oh, well. Just download ogre sources and compile the samples yourself. I do that every time I release just to check the package is not broken..