SdkTray TextBox not showing text nor caption

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
Cheaterman
Gnoblar

SdkTray TextBox not showing text nor caption

Post by Cheaterman »

Hi,

I'm simply using the Advanced Ogre Framework demo code (see http://www.spacegaier.de/Ogre/AdvancedOgreFramework.rar - GameState.cpp, lines 353 to 356, copypasted below: )

Code: Select all

Ogre::String infoText = "[TAB] - Switch input mode\n\n[W] - Forward / Mode up\n[S] - Backwards/ Mode down\n[A] - Left\n";
    infoText.append("[D] - Right\n\nPress [SHIFT] to move faster\n\n[O] - Toggle FPS / logo\n");
    infoText.append("[Print] - Take screenshot\n\n[ESC] - Exit");
    OgreFramework::getSingletonPtr()->m_pTrayMgr->createTextBox(OgreBites::TL_RIGHT, "InfoPanel", infoText, 300, 220);
Which in my case (since after trying to solve it I noticed the above code is passing a HUGE caption argument to the TextBox without giving it any actual text) translates to:

Ogre::DisplayString title = "Help";
    Ogre::DisplayString helpText = "Welcome player, here is the help:\n\n";
    helpText.append("Blah blah blah\n\n");
    helpText.append("More help\n\n");
    helpText.append("\n\nYou kinda got it");
    OgreBites::TextBox* helpBox = OgreFramework::getSingletonPtr()->m_pTrayMgr->createTextBox(OgreBites::TL_RIGHT, "HelpBox", title, 200, 150);
    helpBox->setText(helpText);
    helpBox->setPadding(0);
The result is first that my TextBox doesn't show any text (no title either) until I either scroll (which shows only text) or toggle FrameStats (shows both text and caption), and second that the refreshed TextBox has a very weird text alignment - much like if for some reason there were lots of padding on the right, which is why I (tried to) remove padding, but it didn't fix anything.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Cheaterman on Wed May 18, 2011 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheaterman
Gnoblar

Re: SdkTray TextBox not showing text nor caption

Post by Cheaterman »

Bumped, as I didn't work this out so far (spent 4 hours on this today). I will do my best tomorrow to find out where the problem comes from, but as I'm not familiar to Ogre overlays yet I didn't dig too much into SdkTrays.h itself - especially since I'm probably doing it wrong somewhere anyway.

Here are a few screenshots:

(initial state)

(used "o" - triggered TrayMgr->hideFrameStats();)

(clicked the scrolling button and moved the mouse of at least 1px)

Thanks in advance to anyone trying to help me.
Cheaterman
Gnoblar

Post by Cheaterman »

Please, don't hesitate to tell me if any information you need to troubleshoot this is missing. You could also point me to some documentation, since the doc I'm using (http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/SdkTrays) might be incomplete for some reason.

Also note that I've been trying to adjustTrays() and many other fixes suggested on this forum, to no avail.
Cheaterman
Gnoblar

Post by Cheaterman »

Tagada pwet pwet, I'd really like to get some help here, since I've been able to fix all the other problems I was experiencing with AOF except this one...
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

That's not more to do but flip visibility (IIRC) - it's a bug, and it looks like it's not going to be fixed anytime soon, if ever.
Sadly.
That said, I haven't filed a bug or sent in a patch either - so I shouldn't complain. :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Cheaterman
Gnoblar

Post by Cheaterman »

First, thank you very much for your answer!

But I actually don't know how to flip tray visibility, could you tell me how to do so please?
andrewc
Gnoblar

Post by andrewc »

In case anybody else is stuck on this four years later: I've just had the same problem with wrapped text in a TextBox only using about half the available width. I tracked this down to the fact that Ogre::Font::getGlyphAspectRatio was returning 1.0 for every glyph in the font I was using, and solved it by forcing an immediate load of the font well in advance of creating the widget, using the following code:

Ogre::FontManager& fm = Ogre::FontManager::getSingleton();
	Ogre::FontPtr valueFontPtr = fm.getByName("SdkTrays/Value");
	if (!valueFontPtr.isNull()) {
		valueFontPtr.getPointer()->load();
	}
Andrew