Ogre Build Error ( can't find freetype )

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
c6burns
Beholder

Re: Ogre Build Error ( can't find freetype )

Post by c6burns »

Everyone has to start somewhere. No one is born a rockstar. Glad you got this working.
Transporter
Minaton

Post by Transporter »

c6burns wrote:Everyone has to start somewhere. No one is born a rockstar. Glad you got this working.
That's right. Building Ogre from source as your first project is the ultimate suffering :lol:
runizgozilla wrote:You strike an interesting balance of rude and helpful. You're not wrong though, in fact you are absolutely right. I have little to no experience with these tools. That's exactly why I'm in the help section: because I need help. An error that appears obvious to you, with a knowledge of ogre's dependencies and how they've changed from version to version, does not appear obvious to me at all, because I had not considered the fact that the dependencies might have changed.

EDIT: Used precompiled dependencies, I'm shown a series of options now when I hit configure in cmake. I have no configuration errors. So, thank you Transporter for being painfully frank, and everyone else for helping. I'm sorry to expose you to such n00bery, but I guess it happens.
I'm sorry to be so rude. I agree, you could not know about the version conflicts of the dependencies. I was wondering about you last screenshot with "Could not locate DirectX" - which is a clear message in my opinion. Let me give you a few tips for your future work with cmake.

Read the output complete! Any sentence like "Could not locate DirectX" gives a point where you can start searching the error. You can find the dependency part in the file ogre/CMake/Dependencies.cmake. Also there is a subdirectory ogre/CMake/Packages/ where you can find the scripts to locate the different parts (for example FindDirectX.cmake). If you have a look at the Find file you can find the following block:

Code: Select all

# Get path, convert backslashes as ${ENV_DXSDK_DIR}
  getenv_path(DXSDK_DIR)
  getenv_path(DIRECTX_HOME)
  getenv_path(DIRECTX_ROOT)
  getenv_path(DIRECTX_BASE)

# construct search paths
  set(DirectX_PREFIX_PATH 
    "${DXSDK_DIR}" "${ENV_DXSDK_DIR}"
    "${DIRECTX_HOME}" "${ENV_DIRECTX_HOME}"
    "${DIRECTX_ROOT}" "${ENV_DIRECTX_ROOT}"
    "${DIRECTX_BASE}" "${ENV_DIRECTX_BASE}"
    "C:/apps_x86/Microsoft DirectX SDK*"
    "C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft DirectX SDK*"
    "C:/apps/Microsoft DirectX SDK*"
    "C:/Program Files/Microsoft DirectX SDK*"
	"$ENV{ProgramFiles}/Microsoft DirectX SDK*"
  )
This code collects a few folders to search for the DirectX SDK. getenv_path is a function to search for an environment variable. So you have to look if there is such a variable with the location to the SDK on your system. Of course you don't have to use environment variables, you can set all CMake variables by hand, too. Or you can use temporary environment variables by controling CMake from the command line. Anyway - if something could not be located: Have a look at the file if the files are located in the search path. And also check if the version is correct (for example FindFreetype.cmake):

Code: Select all

set(FREETYPE_LIBRARY_NAMES freetype2411 freetype2410 freetype249 freetype248 freetype246 freetype2311 freetype239 freetype238 freetype235 freetype219 freetype)
The current freetype version 2.5.1 is missing (freetype251) so CMake could not find my prebuild dependencies. You can modify the CMake files to get working with your system and configuration.

Btw, think about a change to Ogre 1.9 (source code: https://bitbucket.org/sinbad/ogre) because 1.8 is an old version and I don't think somebody would update the version stuff in this version. Also read http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-ind ... lding+Ogre where you can find tutorials and a list of what you need to build Ogre from source.
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

Transporter wrote:
c6burns wrote:Everyone has to start somewhere. No one is born a rockstar. Glad you got this working.
That's right. Building Ogre from source as your first project is the ultimate suffering :lol:
:lol:
RigoCL
Greenskin

Post by RigoCL »

You masters always laughing on us the rookies..... :lol:

Nah! just kidding, there's always someone ready to help, though for some people around patience is not a strong gift, but that's real life anyway, isn't it?

We all rookies learn from other rookies who dare to ask everything... the best way to learn is far the Help forum section.
Integrated: Ogre3D + dotScene (Blender loader) + MyGUI (UI) + RakNet (Client/Server) + Leap Motion (The future is here!) + StereoManager (3D Anaglyph red-cyan)
WIP: StereoManager (Real 3D) + CCS (Camera Control System) + Sound, experimenting with Android.