OgreXMLConverter yeilds "bounds not defined" error

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
stiefelss
Gnoblar

OgreXMLConverter yeilds "bounds not defined" error

Post by stiefelss »

I am trying to convert a xml file into a mesh file. I got the latest version of the converter. There are mesh xml's for an entire program, and all of them have the same result. Please note that I have not made any changes to them before converting.

This is the error message:

Code: Select all

[12:37:05: Creating resource group General
12:37:05: Creating resource group Internal
12:37:05: Creating resource group Autodetect
12:37:05: Registering ResourceManager for type Mesh
12:37:05: Registering ResourceManager for type Material
12:37:05: Registering ResourceManager for type Skeleton
12:37:05: XMLMeshSerializer reading mesh data from C:\Users\Michael\Desktop\ogre\Tools\XMLConverter\Trooper0.xml...
12:37:05: XMLMeshSerializer import successful.
12:37:05: Reorganising vertex buffers to automatic layout..
12:37:05: MeshSerializer writing mesh data to C:\Users\Michael\Desktop\ogre\Tools\XMLConverter\Trooper0...
12:37:05: OGRE EXCEPTION(2:InvalidParametersException): The Mesh you have supplied does not have its bounds completely defined. Define them first before exporting. in MeshSerializerImpl::exportMesh at ..\..\..\..\OgreMain\src\OgreMeshSerializerImpl.cpp (line 84)
12:37:05: Unregistering ResourceManager for type Skeleton
12:37:05: Unregistering ResourceManager for type Material
12:37:05: Unregistering ResourceManager for type Mesh
/code]

This is the xml that I'm trying to convert:
http://pastebin.com/GpYq43jp

I used the exporter and converter to turn a simple cube in Blender into a xml, so I know that the applications are woking. There must be something wrong with the xml. Can you see the problem?
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Re: OgreXMLConverter yeilds "bounds not defined" error

Post by Kojack »

That's not an ogre *.mesh.xml file, it's the wrong format.
There are numerous 3d formats that use xml but are very different internally. There's even several programs that have a format called .mesh but are nothing like ogre (such as some TombRaider games).

Whichever exporter you used is either a generic xml exporter to no particular engine, or an exporter for a different engine that uses xml. You need an ogre exporter, such as this one (for blender): http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=61485
stiefelss
Gnoblar

Post by stiefelss »

Kojack wrote:That's not an ogre *.mesh.xml file, it's the wrong format.
There are numerous 3d formats that use xml but are very different internally. There's even several programs that have a format called .mesh but are nothing like ogre (such as some TombRaider games).

Whichever exporter you used is either a generic xml exporter to no particular engine, or an exporter for a different engine that uses xml. You need an ogre exporter, such as this one (for blender): http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=61485
For the life of me, I can't find any program that will import/export these 3d xml's. Are there any out there?
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

What exporter did you use and which engine is it targeted at?

XML isn't like zip or jpg or mp3 where everything can load it, XML is just a way of storing arbitrary data, only the program the data is intended for can understand it.
stiefelss
Gnoblar

Post by stiefelss »

It's based on a custom engine from the company Slitherine for a game called Pandora: First Contact. I'm guessing this means that I have to wait until the devs release a modding tool for those xml's. That's a shame because there were some meshes from other games that I wanted to port in there. :cry:
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

The xml syntax they used doesn't look that difficult, making an exporter would be pretty simple.