Failing to build from source Ubuntu 14.04 and Ogre 1.8.1

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
Shaan
Gnoblar

Failing to build from source Ubuntu 14.04 and Ogre 1.8.1

Post by Shaan »

I downloaded all the Ogre 1.8.1 source from the bitbucket repository and I installed the dependencies as per the wiki. Afterwards when I ran cmake in the build directory, it did not work. The error message says that the library "FreeType" could not be found. However I remember having installed it. And when I ran the command, "sudo apt-get install libfreetype6-dev". It says that the library is already at it's maximum version. The entire error log is as follows:-

Code: Select all

nirvasit@ShaanDev:~/Desktop/Ogre/ogre_src_v1-8-1/build$ cmake ..
-- Configuring OGRE 1.8.1
-- Detected g++ 4.8

-- Enabling GCC visibility flags
-- Search path: /home/nirvasit/Desktop/Ogre/ogre_src_v1-8-1/build/Dependencies;/home/nirvasit/Desktop/Ogre/ogre_src_v1-8-1/Dependencies;/home/nirvasit/Desktop/Ogre/ogre_src_v1-8-1/build/../Dependencies;/home/nirvasit/Desktop/Ogre/ogre_src_v1-8-1/../Dependencies
-- Looking for ZLIB...
-- Found ZLIB: optimized;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so;debug;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so
-- Looking for ZZip...
-- Found ZZip: optimized;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libzzip.so;debug;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libzzip.so
-- Looking for FreeImage...
-- checking for module 'freeimage'
--   package 'freeimage' not found
-- Found FreeImage: optimized;/usr/lib/libfreeimage.so;debug;/usr/lib/libfreeimage.so
-- Looking for FREETYPE...
-- CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH: /home/nirvasit/Desktop/Ogre/ogre_src_v1-8-1/build/Dependencies;/home/nirvasit/Desktop/Ogre/ogre_src_v1-8-1/Dependencies;/home/nirvasit/Desktop/Ogre/ogre_src_v1-8-1/build/../Dependencies;/home/nirvasit/Desktop/Ogre/ogre_src_v1-8-1/../Dependencies;/usr/local;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
-- CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH: /home/nirvasit/Desktop/Ogre/ogre_src_v1-8-1/build/Dependencies;/home/nirvasit/Desktop/Ogre/ogre_src_v1-8-1/Dependencies;/home/nirvasit/Desktop/Ogre/ogre_src_v1-8-1/build/../Dependencies;/home/nirvasit/Desktop/Ogre/ogre_src_v1-8-1/../Dependencies;/usr/local;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
-- Could not locate FREETYPE
-- Looking for Cg...
-- checking for module 'Cg'
--   package 'Cg' not found
-- Found Cg: optimized;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libCg.so;debug;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libCg.so
-- Looking for POCO...
-- checking for module 'POCO'
--   package 'POCO' not found
-- Could not locate POCO
-- Looking for TBB...
-- Could not locate TBB
-- Looking for GLSL_Optimizer...
-- checking for module 'GLSL_Optimizer'
--   package 'GLSL_Optimizer' not found
-- Could not locate GLSL_Optimizer
-- Looking for HLSL2GLSL...
-- checking for module 'HLSL2GLSL'
--   package 'HLSL2GLSL' not found
-- Could not locate HLSL2GLSL
-- Looking for OIS...
-- Found OIS: optimized;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libOIS.so;debug;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libOIS.so
-- Looking for Softimage...
-- Could not locate Softimage
-- Looking for CppUnit...
-- Found CppUnit: optimized;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcppunit.so;debug;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcppunit.so
CMake Error at CMake/Utils/MacroLogFeature.cmake:100 (MESSAGE):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- The following REQUIRED packages could NOT be located on your system.

-- Please install them before continuing this software installation.

-- If you are in Windows, try passing -DOGRE_DEPENDENCIES_DIR=<path to
  dependencies>

+ freetype: Portable font engine <http://www.freetype.org>

Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMake/Dependencies.cmake:234 (MACRO_DISPLAY_FEATURE_LOG)
  CMakeLists.txt:194 (include)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/nirvasit/Desktop/Ogre/ogre_src_v1-8-1/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/home/nirvasit/Desktop/Ogre/ogre_src_v1-8-1/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
In your opinion, what could be the problem here?
I am just trying to get a development environment set up with Ogre on my PC. So all help is welcome! :)
c6burns
Beholder

Re: Failing to build from source Ubuntu 14.04 and Ogre 1.8.1

Post by c6burns »

It's been a while since I used 1.8.1. Unless you have a specific dependency on 1.8.1 I recommend moving up to 1.9 as it's the current release, although I do not believe that will fix the issue ... it's just my recommendation :)

Also, I didn't know the wiki recommended installing dependencies from distro packages. I just checked and that surprised me. I always assumed the ogredeps repo (https://bitbucket.org/cabalistic/ogredeps) was maintained because it was advisable to use these dependencies, and that in some cases the projects have been modified. Perhaps someone can correct me on that point?
Herb
Orc

Post by Herb »

I've been running Ogre for a long time on Ubuntu (since 1.7) and have always used the distro packages (apt-get) for all dependencies. I'd agree with c6burns though, pull the ogre repo and sync the latest revision of the 1.9 branch. A lot of fixes have gone in since the 1.9 RC tag. I know I had no issues with version 1.8.x with Ubuntu 12.04 and 13.10, but don't think I've tried 1.8.x with 14.04 Ubuntu. I do have the 1.9 branch working fine on Ubuntu 14.04.
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

The thing I find about ubuntu (especially as a hardcore debian user) is that they push newer versions of software in very quickly. This can easily cause problems with dependencies while building C/C++ projects from source.
Shaan
Gnoblar

Post by Shaan »

I installed the Ogre 1.7.4 SDK in my Ubuntu 12.04. Well All I really did was

sudo apt-get install libogre-dev. But when I go to the path /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ there is no OGRE-1.7.4 file or folder to be found. Any help with this please? Shouldn't my OGRE SDK be present here? I need it to compile "Summoning Wars" Please do help and let me know what's going on if you can.

My PC is 64 bit for the information.
Shaan
Gnoblar

Post by Shaan »

Now I built my Ogre-1.7.4 on my system. I used the Sample Browser perfectly fine. Then I executed the sudo make install command also. But according to the cmake files, OGRE should have been installed in /usr/local/ but I can't find any OGRE folder there. I need the OGRE folder to reference in the CMAKE file for building Summoning Wars. Any pointers on what could be happening here?
Shaan
Gnoblar

Post by Shaan »

Managed to get the thing done. Thanks for trying folks.
uotbw
Gnoblar

Post by uotbw »

I experience the same problems, could you shortly describe, how you solved it, thanks!

Urs of the backwoods
conx
Kobold

Post by conx »

apt-cache search libfreetype dev
libfreetype6 - FreeType 2 font engine, shared library files
libfreetype6-dev - FreeType 2 font engine, development files
libcoin80 - high-level 3D graphics kit implementing the Open Inventor API
Try purge and install freetype-dev again.
If no change, execute sudo ldconfig

Cheers