GUI for IOS and Android

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
sabotage3d
Gnoblar

GUI for IOS and Android

Post by sabotage3d »

Hi ,

Can you recommend any good IOS or Android compatible GUI's that will work with Ogre. I have fiddled for a bit with librocket but I couldn't get it to work.
I looked into CEGUI and MyGUI but I couldn't find an easy way of porting them to IOS or Android. I would be interested to hear your experience with GUI's on Mobile.

Thanks in advance,

Alex
Spekoda
Halfling

Re: GUI for IOS and Android

Post by Spekoda »

Hei!
You should definitely check out Gorilla http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/Gorilla. Gorilla's panels can be used in both 2d and 3d space. It's very easy to integrate just one header & source file and resource folder.
On Android I'm using combination of Gorilla and the standard android.view.* on the java side. I'm using the droid views for 2d stuff and gorilla for 3d, mostly. Since I have plenty of reasons to have the java side on my application, why not use the the standard gui. For a more complex 2d gui I might go gorilla only.
Also if you only use gorilla for 3d, only one font size is needed. This will reduce the long long time it takes to initialize gorilla resources, 6-8 seconds on a hw device in background thread.
I think it's mostly due to parsing the 3 glyph sizes.
sabotage3d
Gnoblar

Post by sabotage3d »

Thanks a lot looks cool. Do you have any sample widgets with Gorilla ? Is there an event system like button clicked ?
Spekoda
Halfling

Post by Spekoda »

Unfortunately you have to implement widgets and logic (and possibly screen orientation switch) yourself. Here is a quick tutorial: http://tomkoole.com/blog.php?id=31.