app crashes when using shadows

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
abo0ody26
Gnoblar

app crashes when using shadows

Post by abo0ody26 »

I have been going through the basic tutorials, and everything was working fine. Until I got to the shadows part of Basic tutorial 2. the app crashes, and I think it has something to do with the shadows. here is the log file
Ogre.log
The crash log
(39.07 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
I have also tried to run the samples and every sample that has shadows rendered in it also crashes.
tod
Troll

Re: app crashes when using shadows

Post by tod »

It seems some shaders fail to compile. it's not clear if this is the reason for the crash, though. You may try other drivers.

Code: Select all

13:05:10: Error: Examples/ShowUV_pCg_sm4's syntax is not supported
13:05:10: Error: Examples/ShowUVdir3D_pCg_sm4's syntax is not supported
13:05:10: Error: Examples/ShowTangents_vCg_sm4's syntax is not supported
13:05:10: Error: Examples/ShowNormals_vCg_sm4's syntax is not supported
13:05:10: Parsing script Dither.material
13:05:10: Parsing script InstancingMisc.material
13:05:10: Error: Ogre/Instancing/Misc_cg_vs's syntax is not supported
abo0ody26
Gnoblar

Post by abo0ody26 »

It seems some shaders fail to compile. it's not clear if this is the reason for the crash, though. You may try other drivers.
yeah that might be a problem as well.. but the first errors were

Code: Select all

(0) : error C6007: Constant register limit exceeded; more than 96 constant registers needed to compiled program
(0) : error C6007: Constant register limit exceeded; more than 96 constant registers needed to compiled program
so the problem could be also caused by my hardware.
I have windows installed on the same machine (I'm using ubuntu now) so I'll install ogre there and try the same code, to make sure it's not caused by the low number of registers or something else related to the hardware. If it produces the same output I think the problem would be my hardware :( .
anyhow I will post the outcome as soon as it downloads and compiles :|.
tod
Troll

Post by tod »

It's probably not the hardware, but the driver. If the driver is bad, and on Linux they frequently are, it will not implement or correctly report what the hardware supports.