OgreXMLConverter Mac

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
ashleyrose
Gnoblar

OgreXMLConverter Mac

Post by ashleyrose »

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and new to the 3D creation world as well, and I'm having a few issues that I just either cannot find the answer to or am unable to understand the entire process of working it out. I am attempting to use the OgreXmlConverter to change an .xml file into something that I can open through Blender. I cannot find an addon that will allow me to do this, and all of the website I've found that give directions on how to use the converter are either written for Windows users (I'm on a Mac), or it's explained using binary codes, or I'm just not on a level where I can understand. I attempted to open the program with textedit to change the name values that I'm assuming should have made it work, but nothing I do works. I cannot drag and drop the file onto the .exe and anytime I run it, nothing changes. I've also seen something about it needing to be in a bin folder, but I can't find that on my mac even when I search for it; it was also a post from 5 years ago. I'm completely confused, yet extremely determined to work through this, so absolutely any help with resolving the problem would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: OgreXMLConverter Mac

Post by dark_sylinc »

The process is usually the other way: Exporting from Blender to an XML file that OgreXMLConverter will convert to a .mesh file.

Doing the reverse, OgreXMLConverter will let you convert a .mesh file back to an XML file. However I am not aware of an importer that will let you open the xml in Blender. Maybe some other user knows of such tool.

For non-animated meshes the XML file is quite simple and writing a Python script for Blender that can parse it shouldn't be too hard.

You may want to try ASSIMP instead to convert the .mesh file into some other format that Blender can open.
ashleyrose
Gnoblar

Post by ashleyrose »

For anyone else maybe having this problem, I did find a solution. The SLAV addon allows .xml files to upload into Blender without problem on a WINDOWS computer, running the 32bit version of Blender. I've yet to discover anything that'll allow it on my Mac, though.

And thank you dark_sylinc for the quick response, but I have no idea how to write scripts and I'm not sure it's something I'll find myself doing any time soon. For now, I'll just work from my desktop! :)
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

From what I can see, the SLAV addon for blender is a Second Life avatar importer.
Second Life's xml files are not compatible with Ogre's xml, completely different format.