[1.9] Instancing problems, D3D9 and OGL

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
Casm
Gnoblar

[1.9] Instancing problems, D3D9 and OGL

Post by Casm »

Hello.

I tried to use Instancing in simple application based on BaseApplication.h/BaseApplication.cpp.
I got Ogre 1.9 from Mercurial, built it, ran SampleBrowser - instancing worked great.

Created a small application then
ogreinst.cpp
(8.07 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
It shows a triangle. When I use Ogre::SceneNode::attachObject - everything works good.
Then I tried to use instancing. Copied buildInstancedMaterial and setupInstancedMaterialToEntity and most of locateResources from Samples, applied them.
Tried instancing - no go.
Log shows a lot of shader problems (Cg mostly) and of course "Pass 0: Vertex program Instancing cannot be used - not supported." - the reason why instancing does not work.
But why shaders don't work - I don't understand. There're no tutorials about shaders, wiki says about shaders themselves only, not about "how to enable them in Ogre".
- FIXED
The log is attached
Ogre.log
(78.91 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

Moreover, it does not start with OpenGL renderer - says "OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource DualQuaternion.cg in resource group Popular or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at .\src\OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 756)". - FIXED

Please help me with instancing.

Thank you.
Casm
Gnoblar

Re: [1.9] Instancing problems, D3D9 and OGL

Post by Casm »

I found the way - it is crucial to call setPosition for each InstancedObject of each InstancedGeometry::BatchInstance because otherwise TransformMatrix is not calculated, and the default TransformMatrix is not IDENTITY but ZERO.

But there's one more problem. Material has red ambient colour but resulted image is white. Probably it should work with textures only.
Attachments
ogreinst.cpp
(8.53 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

In Ogre 1.9, we strongly recommend to use the new instancing system (see NewInstancing sample) and not the old one. The old one had a lot of problems.
Casm
Gnoblar

Post by Casm »

Thank you, new instancing is working rather good, not without limitations of course.
Attachments
ogreinst.cpp
(6.49 KiB) Downloaded 19 times