[Q] Question to developers

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
DagothVemyn
Gnoblar

[Q] Question to developers

Post by DagothVemyn »

Hello developers.
I try to send email, but comeback error.

I want ask about some stuff.
1. We planned create game engine with ogre. Its can be? Or better use irrlicht?

2. After ogre 2.1 you planned continue develop?

3. What minimum android version need for ogre? My phone 2.2, OpenGl 2.0, armv6. Can i run on my phone, and if yes, pliss send example application.

4. Modern OS like Windows 8/8.1/10 support ogre?

5 Ogre planned support dx12 and pbr materials/render?

6 Can ogre work with network (like mmo games) or some other stuff?

7 Lightsmap tools in ogre generate AO, or just shadowmap and lightsmap?

Waiting for answer. Thank you and good luck

-D.V.
c6burns
Beholder

Re: [Q] Question to developers

Post by c6burns »

DagothVemyn wrote:Hello developers.
3. What minimum android version need for ogre? My phone 2.2, OpenGl 2.0, armv6. Can i run on my phone, and if yes, pliss send example application.
Yes I believe you can target < API 9 (2.3) but you cannot use a NativeActivity. Native access to the android lifecycle didn't exist until API 9 or 2.3. Also no, make your own application :lol: Why would someone else build you a sample app for your ancient ass of a phone?
xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by xrgo »

Hello! welcome!

1. I tried irrlicht a few years ago and I preferred Ogre (1.8 at that time), I don't know if they have modernized it, but now Ogre 2.1 is way better than 1.X, so if they didn't modernized it, I guess Ogre 2.1 would kick its arse.
2. Ogre has a bright future as long as dark_sylinc is here :P
3. Ogre 2.1 don't support Android yet, about Android version, I am not sure but if you have android 2.2... man thats old :P, try flashing a new rom anyways :)
4. yes!
5. yes! dx12 is planned, pbr already on the house with 2.1
6. Ogre is a Rendering Engine, you have to deal with that yourself. Its definitely possible, maybe using some lib like raknet?
7. no "Ogre tool" but you can achieve that using blender or similar
DagothVemyn
Gnoblar

Post by DagothVemyn »

Thank for answer :-) . Its very help. I 3d modeller. But want learn cpp, create little game engine. Etc. Pbr its cool, like unreal engine. But mo freedom :) And can I ask some question in future when do this engine ?

If android don't support its bad. But I can port ogre game to droid use graphics library like Libgdx. Just use one map loader, one image/mesh format
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

Honestly I think from your questions so far, Ogre is not the right choice for you. This is just my opinion, but you should be using a middleware game engine not a C++ rendering library.

There is no GLES2 support in 2.1 branch for now. There will be eventually, but there isn't now. There is definitely Android support in the other branches because I use that. But be aware that your stated target of a pre-API 9 device is a seriously fucking bad target to be working against. You should target API 9+ when developing Android unless you have a spectacular reason to do otherwise. Even some of the oldest and simplest 3d games out there have dropped pre-2.3.3 support.

Or ... you should just use middleware that figures all of this junk out for you, because you are an artist. Why not spend your time making art and coding game logic in a scripting language rather than assembling a game engine from scratch? Honestly I'm a C dev for almost 20 years now, with linux kernel experience, and I have regrets about making my own engine from scratch lol. I did it as a learning experience, so if you are not a professional coder expect a long, long road ahead should you choose Ogre over a middleware package.

That's my warning to you. Take it or leave it :)
DagothVemyn
Gnoblar

Post by DagothVemyn »

Thank. Big thank. You right :-) . I am artist 4 years. And better learn cg stuff. But coding my also like too. I use your warning.
I just little skilled only java libGDX programming.

For my better use unreal engine 4. Its easy royalty free. But main problem its editor supports only x64 pc. My pc 64 yes, but not in my friend (32bit) with one we planned create game. I don't know alternative. Unity by license must use only one man. No team. My friend, programmer can't coding and I can't build levels. If we do this - get serious trouble.

Next we want write engine. Search for libs, my friend found irrlicht, my better like ogre. For friend ogre hard, irrlicht with cpp hard. How he try to use irrlicht wrapper for freebasic. Butta fps drop I think. However irrlicht dead.
Don't know where find solution...
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

Hmmm I'm not sure what you are saying about Unity is 100% correct. Just as a disclaimer, I am using Ogre in a game which is releasing this year (Win/Mac/Android/iOS). I am also using Unity in a game project which is beginning this year. I am certain the Unity Personal license *does* allow you to work in collaboration with other Unity Personal licensees. What you cannot do is combine work from a Unity Personal license and a Unity Pro license ... they add that clause so that organizations (like mine, for example) can't just buy a single Pro license and have everyone else working on Personal licenses. Some of the team collaboration features found in Pro are disabled in Personal, but they are no big deal. What you will be missing is the asset server, which can share out new assets to team members on the fly. I've never used it and do not consider it a big deal unless you have MANY artists and other teams waiting to use that art, or receive on-the-fly updates to any changes in art.

Anyway my personal opinion is that Unity is absolutely fucking awesome. Unless you are really on a quest to understand lower level graphics, or how a game engine is assembled, or you have some requirements that preclude a middleware package, then I would strongly recommend Unity. Again this is just my opinion. Other developers may feel differently than I do :)
DagothVemyn
Gnoblar

Post by DagothVemyn »

Like for me UE4 mo better that unity. Yes. Unity easy. But license... Unity < 5 in free version don't have hdr. For me hdr and ssao main effect in any engine. Its part of realistic lighting. In version > 5 - can't be developers team. I don't have 1500$. Unity can remote explore my pc. WTF! He must go to ass with this licences. Unreal developers stream any changes and new future in youtube. Engine free.
CryEngine complete don't like.
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

No one should be using Unity 4. Even nintendo, who are sometimes quite slow to adopt new Unity versions, adopted Unity 5 within weeks of its release. You don't need to spend any money to develop in a team using Unity. Where in the license does it say that?

Anyway not like it's my job to convince you to use Unity haha
DagothVemyn
Gnoblar

Post by DagothVemyn »

What you think about Free basic and wrapping irrlicht? I think its bad idea.

Maby write engine bad too.

*No. If I develop game in unity with team by personal license need pay 1500$ if no be trouble
(You speak russia? )
xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by xrgo »

ow yes... be aware that making your own engine is VERY HARD, I personally have no regrets at all, I've learned a lot, our engine is fully personalized to our needs, great performance thanks to Ogre 2.1... but it is indeed hard. So maybe if you're an artist you might want to look at Unity or similar so you can just start making games. Sadly unity uses C# so you're not going to learn C++ that way :P
If you go for Ogre feel free to ask any question you want here in the forums! and enjoy! :D
DagothVemyn
Gnoblar

Post by DagothVemyn »

Yea. Need ask team about ogre. But maby no :))
I too try so many engine. Most have defect or very pay. Best its a unity, unreal, cry. I want unity. But license. My friend want too. But without me he don't do game and I too without he. This problem.

Thank for all. And if we use ogre I comeback soon :) Goodluck!
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, and because this fact doesn't seem to have sunk in for you yet ... YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT UNITY LICENSING!!!!!
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

The Unity license for the free personal edition says you (or your team) can't earn more than $100000us per year.
There's no restriction on number of people you work with.
The licensing page does say that Personal doesn't have Team Licensing. But they aren't talking about allowing teams, it's a package that adds Perforce, Plastic SCM and Unity Cache Server. It's included with the pro license. You don't need it, it just makes team asset sharing easier.
http://unity3d.com/unity/collaboration

I don't like Unity (not a C# fan), but it's quite easy to get a game going.

Some other ones to consider:
OpenSceneGraph (apparently works with android 2.2) (Just a renderer like Ogre)
JMonkey (android 2.3) (Full game engine, uses Java)

With Irrlicht you are in the same situation as Ogre, it's just a renderer, not a game engine.
(Irrlicht is still actively developed, although it's not as advanced as Ogre 2.1)