CMakelists.txt not found in ogredeps folder

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
shome
Halfling

CMakelists.txt not found in ogredeps folder

Post by shome »

I am trying to install ogre 1-8-1 on ubunbtu14.04. In the link ogre downloadsi found the Dependencies Source Repository with CMake build system.i followed the instructions in readme and built it. Folder ogredeps is created. ogredeps is supposed to be copied to ogre source folder. i presume this is the folder i get when i untar the downloaded ogre 1-8-1.

excerpt from CMake/Dependencies.cmake

Code: Select all

# now see if we have a buildable Dependencies package in the source tree. If so, include that, and it will take care of
# setting everything up, including overriding any of the above findings.
set(OGREDEPS_RUNTIME_OUTPUT ${OGRE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT})
if (EXISTS "${OGRE_SOURCE_DIR}/Dependencies/CMakeLists.txt")
  add_subdirectory(Dependencies)
elseif (EXISTS "${OGRE_SOURCE_DIR}/ogredeps/CMakeLists.txt")
  add_subdirectory(ogredeps)
endif ()
so it is looking for a Cmakelists.txt in ogredeps folder. but i couldnt find any cmakelists.txt in the ogredeps folder created as in the above paragraph.

when i try to build OGRE 1-8-1 it doesnt pick any thing from ogredeps folder.

my source folder structure:

===============================
$tree -d -L 1
|-- build
|-- CMake
|-- Components
|-- Docs
|-- ogredeps
|-- OgreMain
|-- Other
|-- PlugIns
|-- RenderSystems
|-- Samples
|-- Scripts
|-- SDK
|-- Tests
`-- Tools

what mistake am i making? how can i make it choose the libs from ogredeps folder?
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: CMakelists.txt not found in ogredeps folder

Post by spacegaier »

If that file does not exist, than you don't have the complete OgreDeps repository cloned or downloaded. You can see that it is present here: https://bitbucket.org/cabalistic/ogredeps/src (direct: https://bitbucket.org/cabalistic/ogrede ... ew-default)
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
Gaiha
Gnoblar

Post by Gaiha »

shome wrote:I am trying to install ogre 1-8-1 on ubunbtu14.04.
what mistake am i making? how can i make it choose the libs from ogredeps folder?
spacegaier wrote:If that file does not exist, than you don't have the complete OgreDeps repository cloned or downloaded. You can see that it is present here: https://bitbucket.org/cabalistic/ogredeps/src (direct: https://bitbucket.org/cabalistic/ogrede ... ew-default)
To add a little more, and to ask specifically... which version of Cmake are you using? The Ubuntu 14.04 package repositores are sadly out of date, showing only version 2.8 ... I ran into this myself, even after an initial upgrade to Cmake v3.2 until I did a direct source upgrade of Cmake from Kitware. You may want to try upgrading your Cmake installation to v3.5.0-rc1.

I hope this helps.
I may not be perfect... but parts of me are Excellent!
shome
Halfling

Post by shome »

@space galer:
indeed the ogredep folder at bitbucket has the cmakelists.txt. but as per instruction, i have to do the following steps to create an ogredeps folder inside build and copy it to the OGRE source directory

Excerpt from the readme in ogredeps

COMPILATION
=============

> cd /path/to/ogredeps
> mkdir build
> cd build
> cmake ..
> make
> make install

USAGE
=======

When compilation was successful and the install target was built, you should find a new directory 'ogredeps' in your build path. This contains the final include and lib files needed. Copy it to your Ogre source or build directory, then rerun CMake for your Ogre build. It should pick up the dependencies automatically.

=====================================

i had followed the steps above and then the ogredeps folder was created inside build. it had lib and include folders. isnt the ogredeps folder(created by make install process) that i am supposed to copy to OGRE source folder? this folder has no cmakelists.txt

I am using cmake 2.8.12, but i dont understand how upgrading the version of the cmake will make cmaklists.txt available along with lib and include. also i dont understand the use of cmakelists.txt once the libs have been built
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

I see what you mean. I think we need to extend the ReadMe. The easiest usage is to just copy the source (!) version of OgreDeps into the Ogre source folder without actually making/building it. It will then get picked up by the regular Ogre CMake files (the part you copied in your original post) and will automatically get built with Ogre itself.

However, it should also be possible to build the dependencies manually upfront and just copy the build result to Ogre source folder without the CMakeList. For some advanced features this is even required.

Do you get an error when you try that?
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

There's 2 ways to build the deps. First way is to drop in the source unbuilt, and let the Ogre project build it as a subproject. If you do that, there will be a CMakeLists.txt and ogre will know it needs to be built, because it is not yet built. That's what the section of Ogre's CMakeLists.txt you are looking at is doing.

The second way is to build the deps on their own, and make sure to build the install target which creates an ogredeps folder with the necessary headers and libs in it. Rename that folder "Dependencies" and drop it into the ogre source directory, or alternatively use the OGRE_DEPENDENCIES_DIR variable to specify the the path to the built dependencies. There will be no CMakeLists.txt in the deps this way, so Ogre will not try to add it as a subproject, which is fine. It will just include and link against what is already built. That's how I build, but I've seen plenty of people build using the first method I mentioned as well.

I don't think CMake version is an issue here. 1.8.1 is a bit old now ... CMake 3.0 wasn't even a release candidate when that was tagged, IIRC