How to fit normals and UVs in R2VB? (Ogre 1.9, CG Shader)

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
Nomk
Gnoblar

How to fit normals and UVs in R2VB? (Ogre 1.9, CG Shader)

Post by Nomk »

Hi (this is my first post so greetings to all),
I am currently trying to change the RenderToVertexBuffer sample
from being a particle-system to a GPU-sided mesh-deformation.

The mesh holds position, normal and texture-coordinates for each vertex.
(I use a modified version of the manual sphere generation method from http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/ManualSphereMeshes for that.)

Code: Select all

manual->position( x0, y0, z0); // position
manual->textureCoord((float) seg / (float) nSegments, (float) ring / (float) nRings); // actual texture-coordinates (uv)
Ogre::Vector3 normal = Vector3(x0, y0, z0).normalisedCopy();
manual->textureCoord(normal.x, normal.y, normal.z); // normal
Note that everything apart from the position is declared as texture-coordinates (semantic: VES_TEXTURE_COORDINATES)!

Current vertex-declaration for the R2VB-object:

Ogre::VertexDeclaration* vertexDecl = r2vbObject->getVertexDeclaration();
std::size_t offset = 0;
offset += vertexDecl->addElement(0, offset, Ogre::VET_FLOAT3, Ogre::VES_POSITION).getSize(); // position
offset += vertexDecl->addElement(0, offset, Ogre::VET_FLOAT2, Ogre::VES_TEXTURE_COORDINATES,0).getSize(); // actual texture-coordinates (uv)
offset += vertexDecl->addElement(0, offset, Ogre::VET_FLOAT3, Ogre::VES_TEXTURE_COORDINATES,1).getSize(); // normal
CG vertex-shader (that pushes every vertex out of the given bounding-volumes; normals and UVs are currently untouched):

void deform_vs(
    inout float3 pos : POSITION,
    inout float2 uv : TEXCOORD0,
    inout float3 normal : TEXCOORD1,
    uniform float4 bvspheres[2]
    )
{
    for (int i=0; i<bvspheres.length; ++i)
    {
        pos = push_vertex(pos, bvspheres[i]);
    }
}
QUESTION: Is there a way to let Ogre do the rendering (texturing, shading, shadows, etc (all that fancy built-in stuff)) for the R2VB-object while still
being able to make changes to the vertex data via my deformation-shader or do I have to write everything mentioned above myself?

Currently, normals (VES_NORMAL) don't seem to be supported as a semantic in the R2VB-implementation and the ParticleGS-sample does rendering itself. (be it very simple, its just particles)
The only way I see it working is, if the semantics of my vertex-declaration are what they actually represent, and not just texture-coordinates that Ogre doesn't understand.

Any ideas?