Unable to actually use Ogre 1.10 code!

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
Jamie_Edwards
Gnoblar

Unable to actually use Ogre 1.10 code!

Post by Jamie_Edwards »

So I've run into a very big issue while trying to learn Ogre using the tutorials found on the main site.

When trying to use the framework code I have loads of errors thrown up about the provided Ogre Headers.

If I do nothing with the headers, I get only this error:

Code: Select all

fatal error: OgreOverlay.h: No such file or directory
which is located here:

Code: Select all

line 31, external location: /usr/local/include/OGRE/SdkTrays.h
However, if I then start trying to sort out the issue, I then get more and more errors in the code.

My question is... Why has this happened? Why haven't the developers sorted out this before releasing the code (Yes I'm aware I'm probably using experimental development code)?

My main question right now is, how do I get the 2.1 code or even better the 1.9 code as 1.10 seems a little broken?

Thanks guys!

Jamie.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Re: Unable to actually use Ogre 1.10 code!

Post by mkultra333 »

I'm using 1.10, I updated from 1.8. I had some problems with Ogre Overlay, something changed between 1.8 and 1.10. But I didn't really need overlays so I just got rid of anything overlay related. Don't think I use SDK tray either.

1.10 seems pretty stable and reliable to me, I use it because of the better dx11 support, and I already had a well developed 1.8 project. But perhaps if you're starting from scratch you might be better going with a 2.1 project. I hear that's where the cool kids hang out.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
Jamie_Edwards
Gnoblar

Post by Jamie_Edwards »

mkultra333 wrote:I'm using 1.10, I updated from 1.8. I had some problems with Ogre Overlay, something changed between 1.8 and 1.10. But I didn't really need overlays so I just got rid of anything overlay related. Don't think I use SDK tray either.

1.10 seems pretty stable and reliable to me, I use it because of the better dx11 support, and I already had a well developed 1.8 project. But perhaps if you're starting from scratch you might be better going with a 2.1 project. I hear that's where the cool kids hang out.
OK, well the problem I have is that if I clone the repository I get 1.10 only :L
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

I'm not an expert on this kind of thing, either 2.1 or using tortoiseHG, but my guess is you need to switch to the 2.1 branch when downloading, somehow or other.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

Jamie_Edwards wrote:OK, well the problem I have is that if I clone the repository I get 1.10 only :L
If you clone a repository, you always get the whole history and all branches. So if you cloned the Ogre BitBucket repository, you also have v2-1 in your clone. By default the "default" branch is the one that your clone goes to as its current state, but you can tell it to switch to v1-9, v2-1, etc. See this SO.SE answer on how to update/switch to a branch: http://stackoverflow.com/a/2338185/1947205

If you use TortoiseHg, use the "Update" option, which gives you a list of possible branches to switch to.

And BTW: Ogre 1.10 is not broken to my knowledge. Everything works fine for me and we had no reports otherwise.
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...