Animation for Color?

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
Eddie00
Gnoblar

Animation for Color?

Post by Eddie00 »

I want to change the color gradually through Animation(0.5,0,1)->(1,0,0,1). Is it possible?
Or I have to change the color in FrameListener via material.
Is there any better way to achieve my goal?
Thanks in advance
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Animation for Color?

Post by spacegaier »

I think Ogre::Animation is meant for position movements along some predefined tracks/paths.

To animate the color of an object (SubEntity), I spontaneously see at least three possible options:

1. Use a FrameListener / rendering loop, where you can update the color directly in your application as needed.

2. Use a texture that has the different colors blended into different areas and animate/rotate/scroll that texture over the object via the material.

3. Use a shader where you can either directly change the color in the shader by taking the old color value and changing it or computing a color value in your application and passing that as a parameter into the shader.
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
Eddie00
Gnoblar

Post by Eddie00 »

spacegaier wrote:I think Ogre::Animation is meant for position movements along some predefined tracks/paths.

To animate the color of an object (SubEntity), I spontaneously see at least three possible options:

1. Use a FrameListener / rendering loop, where you can update the color directly in your application as needed.

2. Use a texture that has the different colors blended into different areas and animate/rotate/scroll that texture over the object via the material.

3. Use a shader where you can either directly change the color in the shader by taking the old color value and changing it or computing a color value in your application and passing that as a parameter into the shader.
Thank you for your answer, I only think of first option.
So I guess it's impossible to use Ogre::Animation to animate color change.
I think I'll go for option 1.
Will it be inefficient to do the following in FrameListener?

Code: Select all

Ogre::SubEntity* sub = mEntity->getSubEntity(0);
sub->setCustomParameter(1,color);
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

Instead of setting a custom parameter on the SubEntity (that you would need to react to somewhere), you could directly manipulate its material instead.
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...