[2.1] Pbs detail map as decal

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
Scorg
Gnoblar

[2.1] Pbs detail map as decal

Post by Scorg »

Hello.

I am trying to use detail map as a car lvery/decal with a color behind it. The detail texture has transparent parts through which the color should be seen. I use diffuse as the background color, but the result I get is wrong.
So I looked through the Pbs shaders and found out that material's diffuse color acts as a multiplier, which also differs from behavior of a diffuse texture. My logic is that diffuse color should act as a 'fallback' when a texture is not present, and not as 'master volume' for diffuse.
I have tried to put the detail texture into diffuse at first, but the result was wrong too. I saw Matias mention that detail maps can be used as decals, but unfortunately it seems they can't.
So my question is: why does resulting diffuse color need to be multiplied by material's diffuse value? I am in no way an expert in light theory or PBR/PBS, so I apologise for being so lazy and not researching this stuff myself.

PS. I understand that I can blend my texture with the color manually and supply that as a diffuse texture, but do I really need to do that?
GlowingPotato
Goblin

Re: [2.1] Pbs detail map as decal

Post by GlowingPotato »

I was looking into a solution for this, we need a lot of decals for our game.

So, solution is to modify the PBS shader a little bit.
This color multiplication only happens when using transparent textures (ALPHA).
So, if you gonna do this, my advice is to also modify the shaders so you can pass a roughness textures for decals. Right now you can only pass a color map and normal map for decals.

I made a topic a while ago about this -> http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=88740

You can also use spookyBoo's HLMS editor to help.
Scorg
Gnoblar

Post by Scorg »

Thank you for replying, GlowingPotato!
GlowingPotato wrote:So, solution is to modify the PBS shader a little bit.
Yeah, I thought about doing this, but now that Ogre finally has some pretty graphics to offer I kinda wanted to stick to default ones. As long as possible.
GlowingPotato wrote:This color multiplication only happens when using transparent textures (ALPHA).
Having looked at the PixelShader_ps.hlsl code I believe this is not true. The multiplication is applied to the diffuse with all the textures when there is a diffuse or detail texture present.
GlowingPotato wrote:So, if you gonna do this, my advice is to also modify the shaders so you can pass a roughness textures for decals. Right now you can only pass a color map and normal map for decals.
Do you mean having something like detail_roughness0..3? I haven't thought about that, but that would probably require changes in c++ code.

From what I have gathered, I see applications for having global diffuse multiplier (current behavior), for example: skin tones, but I also think there should be a "paint" color for the background. Would it be reasonable/useful to add another parameter to pbs materials for that? So that we can have the best of both worlds. If needed, I can submit a PR for that when details are clarified.
GlowingPotato
Goblin

Post by GlowingPotato »

GlowingPotato wrote:Having looked at the PixelShader_ps.hlsl code I believe this is not true. The multiplication is applied to the diffuse with all the textures when there is a diffuse or detail texture present.
You are correct, my bad.
GlowingPotato wrote:Do you mean having something like detail_roughness0..3? I haven't thought about that, but that would probably require changes in c++ code.
Yes, that's right. If you check the link I posted, the idea was to create a glass bottle and have a label on it. without a roughness map, the label would have the same roughness of the bottle, a little weird.
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Wow scorg! I've seen your PR.
I'm impressed by your level of understanding of the PBS Hlms implementation.

It's going to take me a little time to merge as I need to review it. There are a few things I may end up modifying. It seems PixelShader.glsl introduces a small regression with two_sided_lighting; and some code you've commented out could just be removed. I also would have to integrate it to the Metal shaders (fortunately they're very similar to HLSL, I'm looking forward in the future to see a way to share code between the too to reduce the level of unnecessary duplication)
decai
Gnoblar

Post by decai »

Good job.