[2.1] VS 2015 Profiling (Debug builds blank screen)

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
Aiden
Halfling

[2.1] VS 2015 Profiling (Debug builds blank screen)

Post by Aiden »

Hello,
I managed to get Ogre 2.1 up and running, i'm now porting my code over to it as we speak.
The main problem I'm now is my debug builds aren't displaying anything on the screen.
The samples also won't run. However compilation was successfull if not for the /bigopt error fix when building debug.
I managed to profile my app with visualstuion, I here are the results. It seems the all my rendering ends up in

Code: Select all

Ogre::RenderQueue::render

Ogre::SceneManager::fireRenderQueueStarted
I know it will be hard working without the debug builds working.
I'm on dx11

Intel G41

and

Any help to solve this will be greatly appreciated.
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: [2.1] VS 2015 Profiling (Debug builds blank screen)

Post by dark_sylinc »

Aiden wrote:Hello,
I managed to get Ogre 2.1 up and running, i'm now porting my code over to it as we speak.
The main problem I'm now is my debug builds aren't displaying anything on the screen.
The samples also won't run. However compilation was successfull if not for the /bigopt error fix when building debug.
You're saying the samples from OGRE_BUILD_SAMPLES2 are also showing a blank screen? Could you post a picture? What's the Ogre.log? Where are you running the samples from?
Aiden wrote:I'm on dx11 Intel G41
That card is old. Have you downloaded the latest available drivers for it? What OS is this?
Aiden
Halfling

Post by Aiden »

dark_sylinc wrote: You're saying the samples from OGRE_BUILD_SAMPLES2 are also showing a blank screen? Could you post a picture? What's the Ogre.log? Where are you running the samples from?
I Also checked the log for my app, both for release and debug, there was no difference.
The above screenshots were me trying to determine if any rendering was taking place.

Those that run displays a blank blue screen I think this one alone, and my app which has nothing on the scene but the framestats(which also displays blank screen in debug), the above screenshot shows what function is running(also uses much cpu at this)
dark_sylinc wrote: That card is old. Have you downloaded the latest available drivers for it? What OS is this?
I have dx11 drivers on Windows 7 , which I recently updated (Why do all the release builds run!!!), the same issue was however experienced in the 1.10 (Ogrecave)branch it appears it's dx11 related.

Here is a screenshot of what I get when running a debug sample.

And lastly the log
DEBUG

01:38:06: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource SaintPetersBasilica.dds in resource group Autodetect or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at E:\programming\ogre\OgreMain\src\OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 790)
01:38:06: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource SaintPetersBasilica.dds in resource group Autodetect or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at E:\programming\ogre\OgreMain\src\OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 790)
01:38:06: Texture: loading SaintPetersBasilica.dds as SaintPetersBasilica.dds
01:38:06: Texture: loading SaintPetersBasilica.dds as SaintPetersBasilica.dds
01:38:08: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): D3D11 device cannot set rasterizer state
Error Description: ID3D11DeviceContext::DrawIndexedInstanced: The Shader Resource View dimension declared in the shader code (TEXTURECUBE) does not match the view type bound to slot 2 of the Pixel Shader unit (TEXTURE2DARRAY).  This mismatch is invalid if the shader actually uses the view (e.g. it is not skipped due to shader code branching).
 in D3D11RenderSystem::_setHlmsMacroblock at E:\programming\ogre\RenderSystems\Direct3D11\src\OgreD3D11RenderSystem.cpp (line 2970)

VS
RELEASE

01:51:32: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource SaintPetersBasilica.dds in resource group Autodetect or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at E:\programming\ogre\OgreMain\src\OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 790)
01:51:32: Texture: loading SaintPetersBasilica.dds as SaintPetersBasilica.dds
01:51:32: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource SaintPetersBasilica.dds in resource group Autodetect or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at E:\programming\ogre\OgreMain\src\OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 790)
01:51:34: Font DebugFont using texture size 512x256
01:51:34: Info: Freetype returned null for character 160 in font DebugFont
01:51:34: Texture: DebugFontTexture: Loading 1 faces(PF_RG8,512x256x1) with 0 generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_RG8,512x256x1.
01:51:36: Unregistering ResourceManager for type Font
01:51:36: DefaultWorkQueue('Root') shutting down on thread main.
01:51:36: *-*-* OGRE Shutdown
01:51:36: Unregistering ResourceManager for type OldSkeleton
01:51:36: Unregistering ResourceManager for type Mesh2
01:51:36: Unregistering ResourceManager for type Mesh
01:51:36: Unregistering ResourceManager for type Material
01:51:36: Unregistering ResourceManager for type HighLevelGpuProgram
01:51:36: Uninstalling plugin: ParticleFX
01:51:36: Plugin successfully uninstalled
01:51:36: Unloading library .\Plugin_ParticleFX
01:51:36: Uninstalling plugin: D3D11 RenderSystem
01:51:37: D3D11 : Shutting down cleanly.
01:51:37: Unregistering ResourceManager for type Texture
01:51:37: Unregistering ResourceManager for type GpuProgram
01:51:37: D3D11 : Direct3D11 Rendering Subsystem destroyed.
01:51:37: Plugin successfully uninstalled
01:51:37: Unloading library .\RenderSystem_Direct3D11
Last edited by Aiden on Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aiden
Halfling

Post by Aiden »

In short if any debug build runs and it's a dx11 it's a blank(blue on 2.1 branch) screen. The above is blue I think because of how 2.1(tutorials) initializes graphics system with default background of blue.(Hahaha, took me a while to find the code that does this had to disable it)
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Hi

Do not attempt to run the demos after running the "INSTALL" script from CMake (the one that generates the SDK).
The demos should've also been generated at ogrerepo\build\Debug\bin; run it from there.
Aiden
Halfling

Post by Aiden »

I built the project to the build_21 as a target folder

ogre\build_21\sdk\bin\debug
build_21\sdk\bin\debug
My ogre sources is in the ogre dir
I run the code within the debug directory, I had to fix the resources.cfg files. They are exactly the same for release and debug.
Last edited by Aiden on Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

There should be executables at

build_21\bin\debug
Don't use the ones at:

build_21\sdk\bin\debug
Aiden
Halfling

Post by Aiden »

hahhaha, sorry I regret deleting them.
I cleaned them out, I relealize I will also need symbols from the object files.
But I'll rebuild and try them out later.
Aiden
Halfling

Post by Aiden »

dark_sylinc wrote:

build_21\bin\debug
From there everything is working right. Thanks for your help.
I think it's a config file issue which should be fixed from the repo.