[2.1] What is the architecture of Ogre 2.1 Sample

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
123iamking
Gremlin

[2.1] What is the architecture of Ogre 2.1 Sample

Post by 123iamking »

I see that the Ogre 2.1 Samples (for example: Sample_AnimationTagPoint) use GraphicsSystem and GameState.

Overview (https://imgur.com/a/9bVVs)

Here is how this architecture control camera (https://imgur.com/a/36TPw)

I don't understand why use this architecture, what is its advantage/ disadvantages? Is this standard architecture? Can I learn more about this architecture (through books, forums,...)?

Thank you.
Hrenli
Halfling

Re: [2.1] What is the architecture of Ogre 2.1 Sample

Post by Hrenli »

I have not seen any overview or high level introduction to this. But I think you should try to follow Tutorial01..Tutorial06 instead of AnimationTagPoint, as the sequence is basically leads you step by step through various ideas behind that architecture.
hyyou
Gremlin

Re: [2.1] What is the architecture of Ogre 2.1 Sample

Post by hyyou »

I am so glad that I am not the only one who struggle about it.

I believe the sample is designed to be just a guide. It seems to be a second-class citizen.
I also drew a graph using Powerpoint.
It is probably because I am not so clever ... but the graph is quite spaghetti at HLMS registering, compositor and Camera.
(dark_synlic, please don't kill me.)

However, it doesn't only work, but also serve very well as a base code for a more complex application (for me).
... and that is the most important thing, and I thank developer to dedicate time to write the samples. :)

I quarantine the spaghetti-ness by put them as "ApplicationSubSystem" and "GraphicsSubSystem" inside my own "OgreGraphicSystem". My system acts like "system" in Entity-Component-System.