SOLVED Ogre 1.10.8 New Instancing sample crashes with D3D11

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
Radagast
Kobold

SOLVED Ogre 1.10.8 New Instancing sample crashes with D3D11

Post by Radagast »

Hi!

I've just build Ogre 1.10.8 without any tweaking and tried to run New Instancing sample from SampleBrowser but it crashes with message Unable to set D3D11 vertex declaration in D3D11VertexDeclaration::getILayoutByShader. The only solution I found in forum is in this topic: http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73955 but I do not know how to use it.

So far I digged a bit into Ogre source and found cause of the problem, it is that in D3D11VertexDeclaration::getD3DVertexDeclaration function in this cycle

Code: Select all

for (i = mElementList.begin(); i != iend; ++i)
{
    LPCSTR semanticName         = D3D11Mappings::get(i->getSemantic());
    UINT semanticIndex          = i->getIndex();
    if(
        strcmp(semanticName, inputDesc.SemanticName) == 0
        && semanticIndex == inputDesc.SemanticIndex
        )
    {
        found = true;
        break;
    }
}
something with semantic name "TANGENT" is never found. All names that are in mElementList are "POSITION", "NORMAL", "BLEND_INDICES", "BLEND_WEIGHTS" and "TEXTURE_COORDINATES".

Is there any workaround?

Thanks,
Radagast
Last edited by Radagast on Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tod
Troll

Re: Ogre 1.10.8 New Instancing sample crashes with D3D11

Post by tod »

It seems that the sample is broken. I would guess that some model doesn't have tangents on it. It seems like a lot of trouble for you to just fix the sample... unless you really want to use that sample for something.
Radagast
Kobold

Re: Ogre 1.10.8 New Instancing sample crashes with D3D11

Post by Radagast »

Tod,

Thanks for reply,

I'm trying to run this sample because I need instancing in my application. Looks like with OpenGL it works just fine, so I can use it that way. If that problem is really just a problem of sample and not of D3D11 rendering in general then I think it's OK.