[2.1] Ogre mesh tutorial?

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
123iamking
Gremlin

[2.1] Ogre mesh tutorial?

Post by 123iamking »

I have read several topic about getting Ogre Mesh from Fbx
Best FBX to Ogre solution?
OgreAssimpConverter
FBX Exporter For Ogre 2.1
... .
And I know that:
The FBX SDK is closed source and proprietary.... We will not support it directly.
- by dark_sylinc from this post
2. Ogre mesh is the only choice for Ogre3d (self-assumption)

So Ogre mesh is the must-have to use Ogre (I think). But how to have the Ogre mesh? - I have read several topics and I'm lost now :cry:
I think there should be a tutorial/manual page for this.
Like this
OgreMesh (main page) ---- Maya 2012 (sub-page): Add-in & how to
----Maya 2017 (sub-page): Add-in & how to
----Blender (sub-page): Add-in & how to
----convert from fbx (sub-page): Tool & how to
If these information is on forum's topics, it will get outdated soon and it's very inconvenient to read it all and finally give up.

Please share your experience.

(currently, fbx is one of the most popular format, so convert from fbx to mesh should be the best. the add-in for Maya, 3ds Max is very limited - I think - because the version of these product - it just keep getting outdated)
IndieGuy11
Halfling

Re: [2.1] Ogre mesh tutorial?

Post by IndieGuy11 »

AFAIK the only exporters to *.mesh are for V1 meshes and they are for Blender (I could be wrong). Also the 2.1 branch can convert V1 Meshes into V2.

Your workflow could be something like this: Export to *.fbx, import to Blender, export to *.mesh (using the Blender2Ogre plugin)

This is not a turn key solution, you either have to live being handicapped by this system using blender and doing it manually(or with script), or create your own exporters.

Creating your own exporter is a great idea, I dont know if there is any format outline that is well explained so youll have to dig into the engine source and work out how it all works. And I doubt anyone is going to post free public code.

This engine requires a lot of effort from the end-user, so if your not prepared to reverse the engine and figure out exactly how it works, youll be dissapointed.
devxkh
Halfling

Post by devxkh »

Hi!
create ogre mesh assets is a PITA since i've started using ogre.
There wer're always outdated, not updated, dead exporters not ready to use out of the box without horrible problems/ bugs.
The best solution for 2.1 from my point of view (sparetime ogre user) , is the fxogreFBX converter.
https://bitbucket.org/oc3/fxogrefbx/overview
I'm using it for skeleton meshes without greater problems (and load v1 to v2). You can easily replace the fbx sdk to make it fit your fbx version.

Since there's no realy out of the box solution and everything is just a huge mess ... I've decided to start a gltf loader.
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 98#p538598
Theorecticaly it could replace the ogre mesh and pbs materials files.

spookyboo is working on a gltf loader, too:
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 97#p538640
My little OGRE engine -> FrankE WIP
123iamking
Gremlin

Post by 123iamking »

According to frostbyte's post
Ogre doesn't need another format support( .mesh is perfectly tailored )
I think mesh is still pretty promising. If Assimp -> Ogre adaptor works and becomes the standard official tool for Ogre, we can import various popular formats to mesh - it would be great.
Anyway, can't really predict the future of OpenGEX vs glTF, only time can tell. But I really expect Ogre support these (maybe one of these - can't be so greedy) formats, and one day, no conversion needed.

Thank IndieGuy11 for informing blender2ogre, frostbyte did make a point about convert mesh with blender
converters may come and go, but blender stays,
Thank devxkh for informing fxogreFBX converter and the great topic about OpenGEX & glTF.
123iamking
Gremlin

Post by 123iamking »

If you have 3ds Max, Easy Ogre Exporter can be a solution!