Ogre can't find Opengl when building v2-1

Discussion area about developing with Ogre-Next (2.1, 2.2 and beyond)

white_waluigi
Goblin

Ogre can't find Opengl when building v2-1

Post by white_waluigi »

I wasn't able to build the rendersystems for Opengl on Linux for v2-1 for a while now, cmake keeps telling me that it can't find opengl:

Code: Select all

Could NOT find OpenGL (missing:  OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY) 
Even though I installed all messa librarys aswell as all glut librarys already.
I am on Linux Mint 64 18.1 and the system is up to date.

Does anyone have any idea why Cmake would not be able to find opengl?

Or does v2-1 have new OPengl requirements?
white_waluigi
Goblin

Re: Ogre can't find Opengl when building v2-1

Post by white_waluigi »

figured it out my replacement GPU (Rip GTx 770) only has opengl 3.0. Seams like I have an excuse to get a new one.
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

That cannot be right. The GTX 770 should easily support OpenGL 4.5

Perhaps your drivers are missconfigured though. Also you could be missing a header package. On Ubuntu I can use:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libfreetype6-dev libfreeimage-dev libzzip-dev libxrandr-dev libxaw7-dev freeglut3-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev doxygen graphviz
to ensure everything I need is installed. However I don't know if these packages maintain their name in Mint
white_waluigi
Goblin

Post by white_waluigi »

You missunderstand, my 770 is dead. I got an old AMD card from a friend for now. I worked fine with the 770.
frostbyte
Orc Shaman

Post by frostbyte »

You missunderstand, my 770 is dead.
is sorry for your lose...it seems that the avarage lifespan of a gpu is about 4 years( 2 for game-devs )
my nvidia-gpu also died while trying to take my laptop with him( i had to shut him down after smelling molted plastic )
now i'm stuck with a quad-core and intel-HD4000 worthless laptop :?
on the bright side, i actually discovered that my integrated card works much-much faster without the Optimus shit
which remind me...some time ago i wanted to try and fix your deferred pipeline to work with intel-HD( reminder: it worked with older version but not in the last one )
but the source code you've put on github or missing some code or is not compatible with the 2.1 branch( did you made changes to ogres code? )
i don't really remember the exact error, i can check if you don't know what i'm bubbling about, so that on your next release you can solve the problem
anyway i think it would be best and easier if you just provide your project as a regular ogre fork
you can also fork ogre on ogres github mirror https://github.com/OGRECave/ogre
cheers.
the woods are lovely dark and deep
but i have promises to keep
and miles to code before i sleep
and miles to code before i sleep..

coolest videos link( two minutes paper )...
https://www.youtube.com/user/keeroyz/videos
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Oh. Sorry to hear that. RIP GTX 770.
white_waluigi
Goblin

Post by white_waluigi »

Yeah I was kinda lazy updating and managing the github mirror, especially since I didn't excpect anyone to touch before it is approaching a release data. I'll make sure to clean that up and get a proper cmake setup before the next alpha release. And I didn't change the ogre library, its probably just an outdated ogre version. And I kind of tested it a bit on my Intel graphics card, and it seamed to run with a few problems. I'll finally sort that out aswell, as soon as I cleaned up the code in general. Thanks a lot for your interest in the project and your condolences.
frostbyte
Orc Shaman

Post by frostbyte »

I kind of tested it a bit on my Intel graphics card, and it seamed to run with a few problems. I'll finally sort that out aswell
i don't know much about linux intelHD drivers but on windows i had a missing textureArray extension error which turned out to be due to a vendor-"locked-in" driver, after updating to a regular intel recent driver this problem was solved
so anyways make sure to update your driver to recent "native" intel driver and not to the vendor provided drivers...
I'll make sure to clean that up and get a proper cmake setup before the next alpha release
yey, alpha :P
the woods are lovely dark and deep
but i have promises to keep
and miles to code before i sleep
and miles to code before i sleep..

coolest videos link( two minutes paper )...
https://www.youtube.com/user/keeroyz/videos
white_waluigi
Goblin

Post by white_waluigi »

Just installed a 970 and it still doesn't work, I think I'll just eventually reinstall linux entirely