[ANDROID] glDrawElementsInstanced generates kernel error

Discussion area about developing with Ogre-Next (2.1, 2.2 and beyond)

dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: [ANDROID] glDrawElementsInstanced generates kernel error

Post by dark_sylinc »

That's excellent! It's a major issue fixed. Now I think GLES3 is suddenly much more attractive.

PS. And indeed next time I see him (dunno when that will be) I'll buy him a beer!
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

I'm reviving this old thread because after lots of swearing, reflashing the stock rom to my Nexus 7 2013 (just don't ask) I finally managed to run the sample.

Kudos on getting it to run!!!

A few things though:
  1. The sample got stuck on a deadlock inside the driver while compiling a shader. (I'm a bit puzzled, because Nexus 7 & 5 both use Adreno 330 so it should work the same for you and me). My latest Nexus 7 is rom mob30x (Android 6.0.1). Maybe your Nexus 5 has an older version that runs better? Did you install the Adreno user-space drivers?
  2. Disabling the shadows fixed the problem, and I was able to see the PbsMaterials sample. However comparing with the PC version, it didn't look the same.
    The spheres were considerably blueish (I suspect a problem with the ambient lighting)
  3. Removing the two spot lights and ambient light while enabling shadows again didn't deadlock the driver, however shadows were missing, which is clearly wrong.
I have to figure out why any of this is happening. But I'm afraid I've burnt more free time than what I could afford on this. Maybe I'll be able to look at this in a week or more. Nonetheless it was exciting to see the PbsMaterials demo running on my Nexus.

Update: I was able to run GLES3 on X11 (Linux). The blueish tint on the spheres is actually the cubemap being loaded as BGRA instead of RGBA (a common problem with GLES because it supports only one of the swizzled formats, instead of both).
Update 2: Problem seems to be surrounding PSSM, because after disabling PSSM; shadows begin to work (but multiple lights still deadlocks inside the driver).
Hotshot5000
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by Hotshot5000 »

Congrats! Yes it was a PITA getting it to run, almost gave up at 2 points. I also had to disable PSSM from what I remember (or reduce their number from 3 to 2 and reduce the resolution... can't remember if this also worked). I noticed the bluish tint but I had bigger problems. How did you solve this?

If you have some Linux specific code, please make a pull request. I didn't test on Linux since I don't have a distro installed.
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Hotshot5000 wrote:Congrats! Yes it was a PITA getting it to run, almost gave up at 2 points. I also had to disable PSSM from what I remember (or reduce their number from 3 to 2 and reduce the resolution... can't remember if this also worked).
Aha! Thanks! I thought I was going crazy.
Hotshot5000 wrote:I noticed the bluish tint but I had bigger problems. How did you solve this?
I didn't yet, but I did fix it in the past (back when 2.1 was WIP and the Hlms worked first on GLES2... oh the irony).
It was a matter of first detecting if the GPU supported the extension to have GL_ABGR_EXT or something like that.
Or else swapping red and blue channel by hand. Also I think GLES2 RenderSystem didn't properly account for this.

The explanation is simple, just swap Red with Blue channel. The tricky part is ensuring you don't unnecessarily swap R & B too often or in an inefficient way (i.e. doing it on the whole texture when you could tell the API to use ABGR if supported)
Hotshot5000 wrote:If you have some Linux specific code, please make a pull request. I didn't test on Linux since I don't have a distro installed.
Yes, there's fixes and when I tidy up I'll submit PR. These fixes are minor. Mostly you didn't rename GLES2 -> GLES3 in the X11 specific files.