New Ogre logo proposal :)

Discussion area about developing or extending OGRE, adding plugins for it or building applications on it. No newbie questions please, use the Help forum for that.
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Re: New Ogre logo proposal :)

Post by spookyboo »

I agree with spacegaier. I don't really like the new proposal (please don't be offended). Perhaps some tweaks are needed on the old logo to indicate the renewal of Ogre when 2.1 is officially out (eg. platinum look of the word 'OGRE' or whatever). Maybe even a new site and forum and make a fresh start (with a reference to the old site, of course). Ogre3d is dead. Long live the new Ogre3d.
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

I'm normally against these minimalist designs, but got to admit; that new logo looks nice!

My only issue with the new one is this:
The old one is easily recognizable and stands out
kariem2k wrote:Maybe a PB-Rendered looking Ogre. Instead of a Cell Shaded one.
I always wanted something like that, but it's kinda hard to beat's Warcraft III's Ogre:
Which is what we're going to be compared against.
xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by xrgo »

spacegaier wrote:The old one is easily recognizable and stands out
mmmm... I think the idea here is to invite more people to use Ogre, modernizing the logo its a good idea to that purpose

its in our to do list to make a really cool Sinbad with pbs materials =D! we have very good artists here... but no ETA
EricB
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by EricB »

xrgo wrote:
spacegaier wrote:The old one is easily recognizable and stands out
mmmm... I think the idea here is to invite more people to use Ogre, modernizing the logo its a good idea to that purpose
I don't think people start using a programming lib because a logo change. (Specially moderately advance programming libs.)
So I don't think you'll get a whole bunch of new people because you have a radically new logo. A new logo will probably be overlooked as wannabe rendering engines/game engines come out everyday. However, a slight modification to the existing logo, (example: change Sinbad's head, throw in a 2 keep the font/colors) will be recognizable to those who have seen/used Ogre before, they'll see the 2 and say to themselves "Ogre had a rewrite? I wonder if it's still *whatever*"

It may be me, but whenever a company has a complete logo redesign or a marketing refresh, what they're really saying is "Our current or previous product has failed so we are reinventing ourselves so that people think we're a different company/product!"
xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by xrgo »

bronzebeard wrote: I don't think people start using a programming lib because a logo change.
yeah I know xD.. I meant things like this:
bronzebeard wrote:they'll see the 2 and say to themselves "Ogre had a rewrite? I wonder if it's still *whatever*"
..... or has the new *whatever* implemented.
and to prevent things like: "I need a rendering lib... lets see the options... Ogre? this one looks very old/outdated, i'll pass"
when in reality its very modern and stateoftheart-ish =)
bronzebeard wrote:(example: change Sinbad's head, throw in a 2 keep the font/colors)
I'll definitely keep the color, but I also think a logo design must fits well with monocolor or b/w, and the current one its not so good for that. and I'll definitely change the font xD I've always found it very ugly.
bronzebeard wrote: It may be me, but whenever a company has a complete logo redesign or a marketing refresh, what they're really saying is "Our current or previous product has failed so we are reinventing ourselves so that people think we're a different company/product!"
I don't feel the same in most cases.

Sadly I also think the logo is just one thing to revamp, it should come with a new site and reorganized wiki focused in the new version, and that's a lot of work :P
natewardawg
Gnoblar

Post by natewardawg »

First time post, long time follower of Ogre. I'm absolutely on board with Ogre having a proper logo design. The first one is more clever. The second one is more recognizable. I don't think in the long term it matters one way or the other.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Some logos of other 3d engines for comparison:
Thyrion
Goblin

Post by Thyrion »

I like the old logo (could need a sharper, highquality version)
and somehow this logo, too

But compared with the old one, i would stay with the old.
The black logo looks a bit too cheap (clean but cheap).
Maybe it's just the used font ...
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Thyrion wrote:I like the old logo (could need a sharper, highquality version)
The SVG for the logo is in the ogre source repository in the "other" directory. The file is ogre_logo.svg
The extra bits can be removed for the simple logo.
(Hmm, looking at it, it's still got 1.8 on it)

The black and white one reminds me of the demons from the South Park movie:
:)
miki3d
Halfling

Post by miki3d »

Hi all and thanks for your feedbacks!

After my proposal I think we're half and half on the new and the old so I think it's better to propose something else starting from the old one and trying to refresh it :)
I started designing the new one mainly because I don't like the old font used and I really don't like cell shading (in general ^_^)

I liked the idea of kariem2k to have a 3d PBR ogre head render, but I think we also need to change the font a bit and why not, have 3d text or a 3d effect on it (like warcraft).

Remember that most of the logos have two styles, usually one coloured with some effects and one flat (black or white) usually for overlay on screenshots etc...

...but starting from the first one it's easy to get the flat one.

When I have time (lol) I'll put my hands on the 3d ogre head, could be really good to have a sculped one to bake a normal map on the lowpoly version.
Co-Founder and Design Director at VaeVictis
Current project Racecraft
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by paroj »

how about ironing the current one plus some fresh colors?
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

One thing that's always bothered me is that the Ogre head we use for the logo is not actually ours, and not even an ogre!
It's a sample model called Olaf The Troll that came with Character Studio many years ago. Here he is (with body) from 1998: http://www.satoripaint.com/Tutorials/TutorialDigit2.htm

(also, it's got triangle manifold issues along the mouth, his tusks are behind the centre of his head and curved inwards (making them anatomically useless), giant lip and three side by side chins)
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Kojack wrote:One thing that's always bothered me is that the Ogre head we use for the logo is not actually ours, and not even an ogre!
It's a sample model called Olaf The Troll that came with Character Studio many years ago. Here he is (with body) from 1998
WHAATT?? My whole life is a lie!!!
xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by xrgo »

dark_sylinc wrote:
Kojack wrote:One thing that's always bothered me is that the Ogre head we use for the logo is not actually ours, and not even an ogre!
It's a sample model called Olaf The Troll that came with Character Studio many years ago. Here he is (with body) from 1998
WHAATT?? My whole life is a lie!!!
I am so "wtf" right now
miki3d
Halfling

Post by miki3d »

Oh well, I was just going to ask the source of the model.

SO, WHAT NOW
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by paroj »

lets use a real Ogre then..
shrek.png
shrek.png (120.3 KiB) Viewed 7672 times
miki3d
Halfling

Post by miki3d »

Or this :D

Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I like the sinbad model style. It's low poly/texture detail, but it's unique to ogre. I'm sure somebody around here could make a higher detail version.

Remember that dancing baby 3d model that spread around the world years ago? Both it and Olaf came with Character Studio. (Ogre could have had a very different mascot!)

Olaf used to be sold by Digimation as a rigged model, for only $695. :)

(Not to be confused with Olaf the Troll from Buffy The Vampire Slayer)
duststorm
Minaton

Post by duststorm »

We could also create a newer head from the Ogre3D mascot, Sinbad.
The idea of having a two-tone simplified silhouette logo and a more colorful one carrying the orange-green colors we all recognize sounds good to me.
Developer @ MakeHuman.org
xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by xrgo »

How about something like this:
or maybe just those colours on miki's first logo?
I am going to try some other fonts now :S
xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by xrgo »

some more fonts in the same direction as miki proposed:
I like the 12 for example... the R if feel is better and I like thats a little more bold..
EricB
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by EricB »

Here is my half assed proposal (Of course a finalized logo would be much better done.)

Simply OGRE2 using the existing fonts. If you ~must~ have an ogre in it. Use Sinbad pushing the 2 into the OGRE. You could even make a mini logo video of this. (But personally I don't think we need an Ogre in the logo... But if we do, something that is video would be nice...)

My humble opinion, it's a better route to go than Retro Squares (We're not all working with voxels or Ataris here...) or Spacey/Digital looking fonts.
I still hold my opinion that successful companies maintain their logos (maybe some minor modification) http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/Jeep At the very least they keep their fonts: http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/IBM http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/Intel
Where as failing companies always have major logo redesigns to "reinvent" themselves: http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/Outlook.com http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/Dodge http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/Yahoo!

Anyhoo, I voiced my opinions enough in this thread. So I'll shut up now and ya'll decide! :)
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Thyrion
Goblin

Post by Thyrion »

miki3d
Halfling

Post by miki3d »

Here is another test restoring the full text and adding the coloured logo on the left, it can be used in different positions, also for icons

salival
Gnoblar

Post by salival »

miki3d wrote:Here is another test restoring the full text and adding the coloured logo on the left, it can be used in different positions, also for icons

I must say that your proposal looks really good. And I also understand the creators who want to maintain their legacy, but the truth is that it must modernize to survive. I just think that that applies to all types of products.