Possible bug in nVidia driver?

Discussion area about developing with Ogre-Next (2.1, 2.2 and beyond)

Hotshot5000
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Possible bug in nVidia driver?

Post by Hotshot5000 »

Up until now I have been developing my Android game on a laptop with an Intel HD Graphics 4600 and a dedicated geforce 770m. Initially I was testing on the Android device directly, but since uploading the executable to the device every single time took, well, time, I have decided to use the GL3Plus backend and run the game directly on the laptop. Since it's not a graphics super intensive game, I was using the integrated graphics and everything was working well, with no rendering errors on neither the Nexus 5 device and neither the laptop.

But then, my laptop broke down and I bought a new one. This one has a geforce 1070 with GSync which means the integrated graphics are disabled (and can't be enabled back from what I see). So now I was rendering using the 1070 and started having these very weird graphical issues when using the HlmsUnlit to render some text on the screen (I've kind of ported the GorillaGUI on the 2.1 Ogre but it's a mix of C++ and Java for now).

For example: http://imgur.com/CCKxlzv

What should be seen is on the first row the word Hotshot and the second one New Game. This is with the latest geforce driver.

After this, I thought, let's run the executable on the older broken down laptop (it still works in certain circumstances but it's no longer reliable) using the 770m that I never used in order to test the game. This laptop had an older graphics driver (382.xx instead of the current 384.94) and tadaaa I had the exact same issue. The green upper right part with the black horizontal lines, everything was the same.

Another thing that I noticed is that changing some letter inside the words would change the issue that I had. Initially, I had a full menu that looked like this: http://imgur.com/2sPmAUR

If I remove the last 2 lines I get the same rendering error but if I write Opt instead of Options everything is rendered correctly.

Basically, depending on words and number of lines I get a different rendering error, or, in some cases, everything is rendered correctly.

Could this be a driver bug? It's working fine on Android and on Intel HD Graphics, but I am getting the same rendering errors in 2 drivers versions with 2 geforce cards.

Or is it most likely that I am doing something wrong and the Android and Intel's graphics drivers are more forgiving?

EDIT: I must mention I am on a 6 months old version of Ogre 2.1. Haven't merged since the commit: d107f1283887 - Merged in vaevictis/ogre/feature/zip (pull request #741) Export ZipArchiveFactory and ZipDataStream symbols to OgreMain library
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Possible bug in nVidia driver?

Post by dark_sylinc »

• It's possible it was an Ogre bug that got fixed, because as you've said it is an old version.
  • It's possible you did something wrong.
  • Lately (last 6 months) NVIDIA GL driver quality has decayed a lot, so it's also possible it's a driver bug as well.
  • Intel GL Windows drivers tend to suck, which further increases the chance it's an NV bug. But Linux GL drivers it's another story (they're much better)
  • Another good way to test is to use D3D11 instead. Sometimes D3D11 will directly complaint against what you're doing wrong, and point it out. Or it's broken as well, further increasing the chance you did something wrong
  • If you've got Linux, trying against Mesa (if you don't have Intel & AMD to use Mesa, you can use Mesa in software mode, or force it via LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE environment variable)
Try to take a RenderDoc capture and analyze what goes wrong. Also try taking a snapshot (using RenderDoc) of the game running in your Intel hardware, and playing it back in your NVIDIA hardware.
Normally a source of these type of texture bugs is GL_UNPACK_* family of functions.

Cheers
Matias
Hotshot5000
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by Hotshot5000 »

Completely forgot that we had D3D11 :). Tried it now and have no rendering errors. Incredible... wasted 2 days on this. I thought that nVidia had the best graphics drivers out there...
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Hotshot5000 wrote:Completely forgot that we had D3D11 :). Tried it now and have no rendering errors. Incredible... wasted 2 days on this. I thought that nVidia had the best graphics drivers out there...
Eric Lengyel's been very angry about it.