mSceneMgr->createItem for PT_SPHERE

Discussion area about developing with Ogre-Next (2.1, 2.2 and beyond)

Aiden
Halfling

mSceneMgr->createItem for PT_SPHERE

Post by Aiden »

Hi,
Considering that createItem is much more efficient than createEntity, will this become possilbe in 2.1 ?
I think creating a sphere should've been the first thing to become available in 2.1 as this should be an inbuilt object.

Code: Select all

mSceneMgr->createItem( Ogre::SceneManager::PT_SPHERE);
Now I have to create an Entity to get a sphere.
Hrenli
Halfling

Re: mSceneMgr->createItem for PT_SPHERE

Post by Hrenli »

It's less about difference between item and entity but more about difference between v1 and v2 mesh managers. I.e. what you should do (I think) is not create entity but create a v1 mesh, import it as v2 mesh and create an item based on it. Alternative solution - load a .mesh file which contains a sphere (takes seconds to create in any 3D modeling tool).

Still, in a perfect world it would be nice if v2 MeshManager could generate a sphere directly as a v2 mesh. But, honestly, I don't think it's anywhere important... Just my opinion though. :)
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Hrenli wrote:But, honestly, I don't think it's anywhere important... Just my opinion though. :)
I agree. Maintaining these built-ins has a hidden cost, and users don't agree how a sphere should be generated (UV Sphere vs icosphere, how the UVs should be mapped, being able to choose number of vertices, whether it should have tangents, etc).

There is a "Sphere1000.mesh" file bundled in DebugPack.zip to address the trivial needs. It's a UV sphere with 1000 vertices. Likewise there's a "Cube_d.mesh" bundled there too.
Aiden
Halfling

Post by Aiden »

Hrenli wrote:Alternative solution - load a .mesh file which contains a sphere (takes seconds to create in any 3D modeling tool).
Found one mesh in the media folder, I suppose the devs thought of this too.
Aiden
Halfling

Post by Aiden »

I converted some of the oldmeshes, it seems the converted meshes have issues and am better of just using the inbuilt v1 importer.
I tried placing a v1 to v2 converted mesh at 0,0,0 as an item but it's not visible, however Stickman mesh shows up.
Hrenli
Halfling

Post by Hrenli »

Aiden wrote:I tried placing a v1 to v2 converted mesh at 0,0,0 as an item
V2Mesh sample does just that and works fine. Check what is different between your code and the sample.
Aiden
Halfling

Post by Aiden »

I'm using Empty_project as the base of my app.
I'm using default emptyproject in 2.1 samples dir.Some of the meshes that came with 2.1 display correctly. While my converted ones don't.