[Please vote] Knowledge, Usage and Future of Ogre's RTSS

News, announcements and important global threads from the Ogre3D Team.

Are you aware of Ogre's RTSS and do you use it in your projects? If not, shy?

I use / have used it.
15%
I know how to use Ogre's RTSS, but haven't utilized it so far because ...
9%
I am aware of Ogre's RTSS, but don't know how to use it.
54%
Never heard of Ogre's RTSS so far.
22%

Total votes: 291

syedhs
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Re: [Please vote] Knowledge, Usage and Future of Ogre's RTSS

Post by syedhs »

Having shaders pregenerated for certain number of lights may not for many cases as number of light will always change - unless if there is only one directional light (sun). Suppose there is a scene script which introduces light on demand to the scene, then shaders will still need to be generated and compiled.
A willow deeply scarred, somebody's broken heart
And a washed-out dream
They follow the pattern of the wind, ya' see
Cause they got no place to be
That's why I'm starting with me
scratchyrice
Gnome

Post by scratchyrice »

I know how to use Ogre's RTSS, but haven't utilized it so far because ...

Well... Actually I did utilize it a while back but found it to be far to cumbersome. It seems like it would be a great system for rapid prototyping, but its just to "over-weight" for making purpose build game engines.

Btw, Does anyone know how I can get my old scratchyrice account back? My email address attached to it was taken somehow so I can't retrieve my password and I've forgotten it. I've tried PMing an ogre moderator but no reply?

Thanks.
Trioxin
Halfling

Post by Trioxin »

I am aware of Ogre's RTSS, but don't know how to use it because...

I've seen no inclination to do so.
Generally when I want a shader I just write it myself, as it'll do something specific. I also like to know exactly what my shaders are doing as much as possible to ensure they aren't overburdened with unnecessary features.

As such, I'm not entirely sure what the RTSS is, what it does, or what's available within it. Certainly if there's a specific technique I go looking for, the RTSS never crops up in any shader tutorials or snippets for what I need.
JordanWeber
Gnoblar

Post by JordanWeber »

I have used it (very very roughly) but don't understand it too well.
It looks useful, but can't wrap my head around it to easily implement/mix the shaders I need.

I would love to see it improved and easier to use, however cannot provide any recommendations how exactly.
BTW, this post is almost a year old, any updates on what will happen with RTSS in the future? :)
phobossion
Halfling

Post by phobossion »

I know how to use it (at least in theory) but I am not using it because...

I have my own material editor/system in place based on the uber-shader technology. I looked at it in the beginning but found it trying to be too general, making it cumbersome for streamlined rendering pipelines such as the mine. Didn't use it so I cannot tell if it does get better when you actually get used to it.
EnergyIQ
Gnoblar

Post by EnergyIQ »

Ran the demo and played with the settings for 5 mins, voted option b) because my game is in pre-production, I expect I would use it because it could ease some workload issues with lighting and materials, at least until I have a complete prototype/alpha or playable demo of the game.
SufferinPup
Greenskin

Post by SufferinPup »

The RTSS is basically a requirement on iOS/Android because GLES2 doesn't support fixed function+shaders together. If there was no RTSS then you'd have to manually write shaders for every single thing in your game! It is much nicer to be able to use Ogre's material system for most things and only write custom shaders as required.
dspnerd
Gnoblar

Post by dspnerd »

Quoth Sufferinpup: The RTSS is basically a requirement on iOS/Android because GLES2 doesn't support fixed function+shaders together. If there was no RTSS then you'd have to manually write shaders for every single thing in your game! It is much nicer to be able to use Ogre's material system for most things and only write custom shaders as required

As long as there are a good number of shaders available, that's all I care about.
Also, +1, it's about time for a pure shader based engine. G3D is having a similar problem where it's GUI system can't be used.

Why consider getting rid of shaders. I vote get rid of fixed function and move to an entirely shader based approach. The engine would be a lot more efficient. (I have this engine, it IS more efficient... I just don't have the finished one. XD)