The Ogre COLLADA plugin

Discussion area about developing or extending OGRE, adding plugins for it or building applications on it. No newbie questions please, use the Help forum for that.
Chr
Gnoblar

Post by Chr »

is collada 1.4 support planned?
nfz
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by nfz »

yes, its being worked on right now.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Awesome work nfz, glad you've weighed in on this.

I've rather rashly agreed to go along to the Collada BOF at Siggraph as an OGRE representative, and to have the plugin running on a demo table. I'm trying to manage expectations given a lack of time, but it's mostly informal and social anyway so it should be fine no matter what. If in the meantime between you and Fup you flesh things out even more, that's superb. Will try to keep up with things here over the next few weeks.
nfz
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by nfz »

As of a few days ago I'm unemployed again so I have some time to catch up on the projects(Collada, Materials, GLSL) I was working on that had to be put on hold due to work and other issues. Eventually I'll have to look at another source of income but for the summer I'm going to relax and code (Summer of Code :lol: ) and get some sailing in.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

nfz wrote:for the summer I'm going to relax and code (Summer of Code :lol: )
:lol:
Vectrex
Ogre Magi

Post by Vectrex »

nfz wrote:As of a few days ago I'm unemployed again so I have some time to catch up on the projects(Collada, Materials, GLSL)
That's great! um... I mean that's bad! ;)
grizzley90
Gnome

Post by grizzley90 »

Hey, is it possible to know the state of the current collada plugin. Its been 1 month and more since the last post. Im interrested to see what has happened so far. Unfortunately, I dont have access to cvs so I can't see for my self. :(
nfz
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by nfz »

It hasn't changed. On Jul 12 I got a job doing construction work 10 hours a day/6 days a week so I haven't done any coding since then. I had planned to take the summer off and finish some programming projects but the pay was to good to pass up. The job is supposed to last till end of October so my contributions to the plugin will be minimal for the next few months. I think Fup is busy with work too.

So another developer that has the time and desire is in need for the COLLADA plugin to continue development at a faster pace.
grizzley90
Gnome

Post by grizzley90 »

Where did you guys stop exactly ? And is the latest version in cvs? If its just tinyxml programming ill see what i can do because im in need of it. :?
Fup
Gnoblar

Post by Fup »

nfz wrote:... I think Fup is busy with work too.
That's right, currently I work 50hs a week.
grizzley90 wrote:Where did you guys stop exactly?
The functionality of the plugin is almost the same, geometry, light, material, camera, ... I think it would be best to check out nfz's demo.
And is the latest version in cvs?
Yes, the demo too.
If its just tinyxml programming ...
No, this plugin uses libxml.
pix
Kobold

Post by pix »

hi, just thought i'd mention that i just submitted a patch to sourceforge that adds an autotools build system to the ColladaPlugin, so that it can be built on linux.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=302997

i was thinking towards the end of making this, that it doesn't really make sense for this to be a plugin in the strict ogre sense. it's not like the other plugins which are accessed though some ogre-supplied api, so any program using it still needs to link directly against the library. making it look like a plugin seems to be unnecessary work.

any thoughts?
Artba
Gnoblar

Post by Artba »

Hi! Has anyone gathered some experience with different collada files ?
I seem to have the problem that loading of files work but actually nothing appears in my resulting node. It apparently works with the original files, but as soon as I try to load my own files from say sketchup or maya it does not.
<edit>
The current exporters for eg. Maya do not seem to have an option to choose an older format than 1.4 for collada export. Is it possible to make those files loadable ? </edit>

thanks, Andreas
nfz
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by nfz »

The Collada plugin in Ogre addons is a very basic importer of the older 1.3.1 format only. It only works for scene, geometry, camera, light, and simple material elements.

I decided to take a different route after two unsuccessful attempts at building a COLLADA importer from scratch. I now use the COLLADA DOM which made things a lot easier and is compatible with the 1.4.0 and 1.4.1 format. The COLLADA DOM uses libxml2, same as the plugin. So I have a new plugin now that is much smaller in code size but supports a much larger feature set since all the grunt work is taken care of by the COLLADA DOM dll. The nice thing about the COLLADA DOM is that it also takes care of exporting to .dae but I haven't written any code to take advantage of that yet.
hmoraldo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by hmoraldo »

Wouldn't be the best to convert Collada to .scene?
H. Hernan Moraldo
Personal website
airscape
Gnoblar

Post by airscape »

nfz: What is you current state of using Collada DOM ?
nowhere
Kobold

Post by nowhere »

Hi folks,

I'm currently writing a Collada to MD3 and Cal3D converter for WorldForge. I'd be interested in converting to mesh.xml, too, unless there's some tool for that already. I only found tools that'd allow Ogre to load Collada files directly, or did I miss anything?

Cheers,
Kai
caskater4
Gnoblar

Post by caskater4 »

I'm working on building a game engine using various components. I'm using Ogre3D, FMOD, PhysX, and SDL (for input). Right now I need an easy format to be able to generate all my content (pimarily in Maya) and have physics applied so I was looking at Collada since it seems to be a perfect format to hold all the game data I need. I have tried compiling ColladaPlugin using VC8 but am getting a C2440 error for OgreColladaGeometry.cpp line 380. I was wondering if anyone else has been experiencing this issue. Also, if the current ColladaPlugin won't work for what I need, do you know of what tools/plugins I should be using to accomplish what I need to? Thanks.
DraKKaR
Gnoblar

Post by DraKKaR »

Is there available an Ogre plugin for Collada 1.4? I don't mind it doesn't support all Collada 1.4 features beacuse I just want to load geometry (2 texture channels) with textures. I downloaded the current collada plugin implementation from the CVS but it only supports Collada 1.3.

Is a very simple (but working) version for collada 1.4 available right now?

Thanks in advance.
Srekel
Halfling

Post by Srekel »

I'd like to know if there's any news on this?
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

Given that nfz no longer actively develops, and the date of the most recent post before yours, I'd say "no".
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
tony
Gnoblar

Post by tony »

Someone has a demo, with the latest OGRE and Collada, to see how this works, to revive this post that I am staying in oblivion ...
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »