The Boost issue (again)

Discussion area about developing or extending OGRE, adding plugins for it or building applications on it. No newbie questions please, use the Help forum for that.
DanielSefton
Ogre Magi

Re: The Boost issue (again)

Post by DanielSefton »

jacmoe wrote:It's easy enough to fish out the parts of Boost you need - I can't remember the name of the tool, but Boost has a tool like that - IIRC that's what Walaber used to make OgreNewt's shaved Boost copy. :wink:
http://www.boostpro.com/download

Yep, no need to compile it yourself :)
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Yes, that's the one to use - but I meant the bcp tool.
It's included in Boost (in Tools folder (D'oh)) and can be used to extract only the headers your project is using.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

I knew about bcp, but not about BoostPro - thanks for that!
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Yes, it's BCP.

edit> Too late! - Didn't see the last page...

By the way, wouldn't there be problems if the user already have a different version of boost in the environnement paths than the one you provide boost sources? Changing the namespace or putting it in the Ogre namespace might help avoid some problems?
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Klaim wrote: By the way, wouldn't there be problems if the user already have a different version of boost in the environnement paths than the one you provide boost sources? Changing the namespace or putting it in the Ogre namespace might help avoid some problems?
If the user already has Boost it's irrelevant, because they can use their own.
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Ok I see.

From you last answers, it feels like you've made your final choice for boost?
ppClarity
Gremlin

Post by ppClarity »

sinbad wrote:If the user already has Boost it's irrelevant, because they can use their own.
That really depends on the version of Boost installed. Ubuntu 8.04 (The current LTS) distributes boost 1.34.1 by default which is ancient and missing several important updates.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Klaim wrote:From you last answers, it feels like you've made your final choice for boost?
It's my personal choice, I'd like to offer wrappers for other libs for people that want to use other things, but I'm very busy and it's just not my priority. Not everyone likes Boost, but if, due to time constraints, you're going to pick a single lib, I think Boost is still more popular than any of the others.

It's still strictly optional, so we're not forcing anyone to use it, it's just enabled by default if detected now and it's our only threading implementation so far. The constructs that are used are macro'd in the majority of cases rather than directly referenced so the option is there to link to alternatives later. I just don't feel strongly enough about it to invest the time wrapping N alternatives right now, Boost works fine for me. Anyone who does feel strongly about it knows where the source is ;)