ogre emscipten performance question....

Discussion area about developing or extending OGRE, adding plugins for it or building applications on it. No newbie questions please, use the Help forum for that.
frostbyte
Orc Shaman

ogre emscipten performance question....

Post by frostbyte »

anyone knows how does ogre/webgl compares to other engines performance wise...( javaScript based engines and c++ emscripted engines )
is it ready/optimized to run games on the web-browser or am i just limited to presenting a few rotation models?
any info/experience is welcomed...
the woods are lovely dark and deep
but i have promises to keep
and miles to code before i sleep
and miles to code before i sleep..

coolest videos link( two minutes paper )...
https://www.youtube.com/user/keeroyz/videos
Wolfmanfx
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: ogre emscipten performance question....

Post by Wolfmanfx »

Main problem with all c++ engines is the heavy load to the VM for mobiles it means battery drain.
Performance wise (rendering) it comes down to the scene complexity but again i guess a real game
Will be cpu bound first.

Try out the unreal / unity demos their tech is much complexer than ogres so you can see the
Workload.
frostbyte
Orc Shaman

Post by frostbyte »

thanks i already tried just about any browser based demo of game engines....just not ogre (-:
my concern is that performance problems with 1.x sceneManager running large scene( cpu bounded ) will be magnified when converting to javaScript
making ogre unusable for webgl experiance...i'm not conserned about battery life...just performance/user experiance...

unreal4 demo work real good on my browser but as i understand they work closely with mozila on this- so maybe they super-optimized it
unity also works good but the demo is less complex and i suspect they optimized the scene by other methods( umbra etc... )

overall impression is that native javaScript based engines perform better than c++ ported with emscripten...but it's very hard/near imposible to compare engines....

Wolfmanfx
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Wolfmanfx »

Ähm sure the 1.x scenemanger is not fast when many post effects are used but there are plenty of games
Which used them in the past in real games...but 2.x will in the future also work in the browser
As for worked directly with mozilla I also had contact to them and firefox is pretty good the bigger engines have much
More to port than just rendering.
And none of them have solved it until now.
frostbyte
Orc Shaman

Post by frostbyte »

thanks for the info...
glad to hear ogre 2.x will reach browsers....
i checked webgl2( es3.0 ) status and i see that you're in sync with estimated adoptation time...now i understand adoptation time-line better...
webgll1 is not ready for serious browser gameing anyway, so i'll just drop my ogre1.10 webgl porting plans/concerns and start focus on porting to 2.1
i did'nt check webgl status for a long time. not so long ago i revisited webgl experiments https://www.chromeexperiments.com/webgl
and was amazed on the progress/demos people make...it's definitely the future of the web...
thanks for relaxing my concerns and helping me build a better work time-line strategy (-: