OGRE 2.1 and Multiple "Tabs" (TDI)

A place for users of OGRE to discuss ideas and experiences of utilitising OGRE in their games / demos / applications.
hydexon
Gremlin

OGRE 2.1 and Multiple "Tabs" (TDI)

Post by hydexon »

So, i heard the case of this thread: http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=85502 and when i was writing my OGRE editor i had some concerns, when i was coding my game editor, my editor itself has an Chrome-like TDI (Tabbed Document Interface) to do multiple things and able to detaching and reattaching tabs which is very useful for us, but when OGRE gets involved i have shivers.

From that thread and some others i saw there's some complications trying to use OGRE in multiple windows and different scenes. My editor requirement is each tab can be an map/scene editor with a completely populated scene, plus material editors, and other editors which may requires OGRE previews.

I don't know if i should use an scene manager for each Map or Scene, using "isolated" RenderQueues could not helpful (i.e i opened many maps at once then OGRE ran-out of assignable of RenderQueue IDs) or the user explictly specified certain renderable is going to X RenderQueue ID in a map, and maps could have their own set of compositor workspaces, and how huge resource consumption could be.

what things i have to take care and they recommend to use OGRE in an Tabbed Document Interface (i.e Multiple Windows) which every map or scene are completely different?
crancran
Greenskin

Re: OGRE 2.1 and Multiple "Tabs" (TDI)

Post by crancran »

It really boils down to the platform of choice in most cases.

For example, I've lately been trying to get multiple render windows under 2.1 to work in a Linux environment with the OpenGL Mesa implementation. The solution that seems to work is that users will need to specify specific parameters to child windows in order for them to re-use the existing OpenGL context. For other render systems like DX11 or even GL3+ on differing platforms or drivers, the solution will likely vary.
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: OGRE 2.1 and Multiple "Tabs" (TDI)

Post by dark_sylinc »

hydexon wrote:So, i heard the case of this thread: http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=85502 and when i was writing my OGRE editor i had some concerns, when i was coding my game editor, my editor itself has an Chrome-like TDI (Tabbed Document Interface) to do multiple things and able to detaching and reattaching tabs which is very useful for us, but when OGRE gets involved i have shivers.
That post is old. IIRC the problem wasn't because he was using multiple SceneManager, but rather it boiled down to not using the same context for multiple windows in OpenGL. There might have been other bugs, but they were fixed.

As a general precaution, always ensure you have an active RenderWindow at all times to prevent Ogre from shutting down (you can have a disabled, hidden 1x1 RenderWindow to forget about the problem at all)

As crancran says, the only real issue right now is when using multipler RenderWindows with Mesa drivers in Linux, which is not working as it should at the moment.