Body For The Ogre Head

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Professor420
Greenskin

Post by Professor420 »

As Alexander and others have said, High first, once again. It doesn't come down to personal preference. Hi or lo first comes down to experience and skill. High first is better, 100% of professionals will tell you that, people that have tried it both ways and have been producing top-notch art for years... I don't know why this is so hard for people to accept. The longer people think it is "to each his own" on this issue the longer those people will be fighting against pipeline and producing crappier art than they should be.

High before low, good work flow. Low before High, kiss efficiency good-bye.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

The future: Blender's LOD resolutions. No more high-first or low-first; you do both at the same time! 8)
Jerky
Orc Shaman

Post by Jerky »

Alexander wrote: 3. Retopologize in a program such as topogun
My whole pipeline is/was based on the fact that reversing it is hard to do. I haven't looked into changing it for a while, cause it is working for us. A tool like topogun (which, thanks to you, I just learned about) makes your pipeline totally better. I can't argue what my eyes see. Now the question comes down to the team, what tools it has available, what it wants to do, and what it can do.
Professor420 wrote:As Alexander and others have said, High first, once again. It doesn't come down to personal preference. Hi or lo first comes down to experience and skill. High first is better, 100% of professionals will tell you that, people that have tried it both ways and have been producing top-notch art for years... I don't know why this is so hard for people to accept. The longer people think it is "to each his own" on this issue the longer those people will be fighting against pipeline and producing crappier art than they should be.

High before low, good work flow. Low before High, kiss efficiency good-bye.
As to the part where 100% of the professionals would tell me that, I will have to respectfully disagree. For some, Gnomon sets the standards. I have a video with ZBrush/Maya integration and it specifically says ZBrush for initial, export to create the low poly game model (plus cleaning and UV mapping), then import to go back for detail. Granted this is now a couple years old, but things change. It may not be the most current pipeline, but its not archaic either.

Like I said to Alexander, it depends on the team. Many teams here are not professionals and want to work within the legal limits of software. This means that unless there is a free tool out there, that pipeline is not an option. Now, I also grant that not everyone here is limited to free tools. Like I said to him, yes that pipeline is faster, and gives more freedom, but requires the tools. My team doesn't use pirated software, so either the individual artist buys the tools himself, or we use free software. If that's not possible to do with a tool like that, my pipeline is still completely valid.

Efficiency or not, hobbyist projects can't always compete with the big boys. We make due with whats available. I haven't looked into free alternative to this, since I just started looking into it. If there are some, by all means, point me in the right direction. Until then, I stand my ground :P. IMO, both pipelines are valid given the audience on the Ogre forums. If we were on CGTalk, where there are more professionals, I think we could say mine was the old way.
Erik Briggs (Jerky)
My Blog
Project Wish
DragonSnail
Kobold

Post by DragonSnail »

Thanks for keeping the thread warm for me while I was busy! Heres another update, worked more on the texture, closing in on finished.

Also looked into normal mapping, and if I got time later on will see if I can't manage a higher poly model to normal map this version with. And yes, I'm dressing him... ;)
I couldnt know that, but that seems to explain the "cute" aspect of ogre now :D .
Oh, of course. Everyone knows girls only do cutsie art. Fairies and unicorns and manga girls with huge eyes and such. Why on earth would I do the ogre as anything else than cute? Fat male ogres has always been considered cute.
Chaster
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Chaster »

First, GREAT work!

I suppose it's a bit too late for suggestions? Yes? Well, if you care, I think his upper body (chest & shoulders) seem a bit out of proportion (a little too small) compared to his head and the lower portion of his body.... Just a suggestion though..

Chaster
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

My apologies for deleting your previous post. I was confused by that "bump-like" post... :oops:

It's looking great, by the way! Have you considered using the new Blender sculpture and subdivision level features? That would be a good way to make a killer hi-res model.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

DragonSnail wrote:Fat male ogres has always been considered cute.
I whole heartedly agree! :lol:

Great work! :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
DragonSnail
Kobold

Post by DragonSnail »

Haha Jacmoe, cheers! ;)

Heres a couple of more updates, Im just playing around with different clothing styles at the moment. The skin texture is done, unless I find some glaring errors I previously overlooked, and maybe a bit of finetuning on the head. Also closed the gap in the mouth.

Have you considered using the new Blender sculpture and subdivision level features? That would be a good way to make a killer hi-res model.
Yes, I will most likely try that out, thanks for suggesting it! :)
CaseyB
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by CaseyB »

I REALLY like the vest and pants! Great work!!
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

Aye, with the vest and pants, he no longer looks overly-fat and looks right. The cat-skin has the effect too, but I prefer the vest and pants.

Awesome job!
Jerky
Orc Shaman

Post by Jerky »

Yeah, the vest and pants make me think of a scimitar-carrying seaman....
by the name of Sinbad!

Well done!
Erik Briggs (Jerky)
My Blog
Project Wish
SunSailor
Gnoll

Post by SunSailor »

I would make him a bit thinner around the stomach, really, especially in those great pirate clothings. Even as he looks cute with this big belly, it would be aweful to animate, as it would need to bounce like a gummy ball to be believable. Otherwise it really looks great and has the potential for a great demo character. Just my 0.02€.
JohnJ
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by JohnJ »

Whoa, this really looks good! Nice work! :)
DragonSnail
Kobold

Post by DragonSnail »

Even as he looks cute with this big belly
I dont take it anyone actually realised I was being sarcastic when I wrote I'd make a cute ogre... or do you all consider fat ogres to be cute? :roll: :lol:
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

I love it!
Always had a soft spot for the Morrowind Ogrim! :D
SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by SpannerMan »

Now thats one BIG FAT ASS!! Looking excellant, DragonSnail. I can already see this guys running animation, with bits wobbling about hehe.
ptikaka
Kobold

lol

Post by ptikaka »

Very nice model !
could be nice to use him instead of the classic ogrehead model in the demo

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
the more you know the less you understand
dartsman
Kobold

Post by dartsman »

has there been any talk about animating the final ogre character with a basic set of animations? Such as idle, walk, run, turn left, turn right, punch, kick, yell/roar, jump, swim, fall, etc.

So that noobs like myself could add the ogre into our Ninja Vs Robot awesome fighter project :)
DragonSnail
Kobold

Post by DragonSnail »

has there been any talk about animating the final ogre character with a basic set of animations?
That was the plan. :wink:
Always had a soft spot for the Morrowind Ogrim!
Ok, Jacmoe, you win - those ogrim ARE cute! :lol:
dartsman
Kobold

Post by dartsman »

awesome :D
karnewarrior
Kobold

Post by karnewarrior »

it would be really funny to see him in modern clothing like a t-shirt and jeans :lol:

work on those models!! :D
Nauk
Gnoll

Post by Nauk »

For those that wonder about the progress a short update: Dragonsnail and me are currently moving from Germany to Sweden, once we arrived Snail will continue working on the Ogre :)
SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by SpannerMan »

Fair enough, good luck with the move. We are very much looking forward to this being completed!
jjp
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by jjp »

Just note on the anatomy. I know this is not meant to be realistic but such a large belly would normally mean that the tits have a significant size as well and more fat in other places. Right now this looks like a muscular/athletic character where some parts of the body have been scaled up. My suggestion would be a smaller belly. But of course if this is what you want the ogre to look like; go for it :)
Enough is never enough.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Nauk wrote:For those that wonder about the progress a short update: Dragonsnail and me are currently moving from Germany to Sweden, once we arrived Snail will continue working on the Ogre :)
Cool! Sweden is a good choice! Good luck with it! :)