OgreMax Exporter 2.6.3 for 3DS Max and Maya

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
SusanLL
Halfling

Re: OgreMax Scene Exporter 2.3 for 3DS Max, Maya, and Softim

Post by SusanLL »

Thank you for the speedy reply and support, I will relay the message and hopefully they will approve the purchase and then maybe we can revisit the issues.

Thanks again truly appreciate the hard work you've put into your product. :)

-SusanLL
SusanLL
3D Modeler, Models and Simulations
BAE Systems, Inc
susan.littleton@baesystems.com
nedelman
Gnome

Re: OgreMax Scene Exporter 2.3 for 3DS Max, Maya, and Softim

Post by nedelman »

Version 2.3.15 now available.
http://www.ogremax.com - Ogre3D Scene Exporter for 3DS Max, Maya, and Softimage
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dereknedelman - My LinkedIn Profile
videl
Halfling

Re: OgreMax Exporter 2.3.15 for 3DS Max, Maya, and Softimage

Post by videl »

Cool, have to download it

Btw is it possible to set options like "generate tangents" using a mel-script? I usally export my meshes with my own mel-button (for scaling reasons, have to scale the meshes up for our engine), would be great if it wasn't necessary to set the export options by hand in every new scene file. Using a command like "ogreMax exportTangents true" or something like that would accelerate my workflow.
Or can I at least change the default settings for a new scene?
nedelman
Gnome

Post by nedelman »

http://www.ogremax.com/Documents/OgreMa ... cript.html

You can set most things through MaxScript. Just do:
sceneSettings = ogremax.GetSceneSettings()

To see what's available:
showProperties sceneSettings

You'll need to do some experimentation to see which settings in the dialogs correspond to which settings in MaxScript
videl
Halfling

Post by videl »

Thanks for the quick reply

I am using maya, so I don't have max script. Is there a mel interface too?

Edit/ ah i found it, didn't knew about the good online documentation before!
I can now list the settings, but how do I change them?
nedelman
Gnome

Post by nedelman »

setAttr
videl
Halfling

Post by videl »

Yeah it works now.

Mel is just too different from a normal programming language. Didn't knew that ^^

$sceneSettings = OgreMaxGetSceneSettings();
setAttr ($sceneSettings + ".GenerateTangents") 1;

works fine!
nedelman
Gnome

Re: OgreMax Exporter 2.3.16 for 3DS Max, Maya, and Softimage

Post by nedelman »

2.3.16 is up
nedelman
Gnome

Re: OgreMax Exporter 2.3.17 for 3DS Max, Maya, and Softimage

Post by nedelman »

2.3.18 up
nedelman
Gnome

Re: OgreMax Exporter 2.3.18 for 3DS Max, Maya, and Softimage

Post by nedelman »

2.3.19 is up
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Re: OgreMax Exporter 2.3.18 for 3DS Max, Maya, and Softimage

Post by jacmoe »

Just 'up' - no changes? :)

/* curious */
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
nedelman
Gnome

Re: OgreMax Exporter 2.4 for 3DS Max, Maya, and Softimage

Post by nedelman »

OgreMax 2.4 is now available. It incorporates the following changes:

OgreMax Scene Exporter for 3DS Max
-Added support for up to 4 lights in the OgreMax material viewer.
-Added bitmap settings page to the scene settings dialog, composed of settings that used to be on the materials page.
-Added animation settings page to the scene settings dialog.
-Added a scene setting to export everything as a flat list of nodes, rather than a hierarchy.
-Added node animation interpolation settings to the global settings dialog.
-Added scene setting for exporting materials to separate files.
-Added texture unit setting for the "compositor" content type.
-Added orbiting functionality for the OgreMax scene viewports. To use it, select at least one object, hold the right mouse button, and move the mouse.
-Modified the default OgreMax scene viewer camera near clip distance in the global settings, making it smaller. Also added more precision to the global settings spinners to allow smaller values to be entered.
-Modified the texture unit waveform transformation input spinner controls to have smaller ranges, which makes entering useful values easier.
-Modified 'Ignore Hidden Objects' scene setting, changing it to 'Export Hidden Objects'.
-Modified behavior of material exporter so that if all materials are exported to separate files, the main material file is not generated.
-Modified exported node animations so that the node's controller type is no longer used to determine which interpolation modes to use. Interpolation mode is now configured exclusively through the OgreMax global, scene, object, and node animation settings dialogs.

OgreMax Scene Exporter for Maya
-Added bitmap settings page to the scene settings dialog, composed of settings that used to be on the materials page.
-Added a scene setting to export everything as a flat list of nodes, rather than a hierarchy.
-Added orbiting functionality for the OgreMax scene viewports. To use it, select at least one object, hold the right mouse button, and move the mouse.
-Modified the default OgreMax scene viewer camera near clip distance in the global settings, making it smaller. Also added more precision to the global settings spinners to allow smaller values to be entered.
-Modified the texture unit waveform transformation input spinner controls to have smaller ranges, which makes entering useful values easier.
-Modified 'Ignore Hidden Objects' scene setting, changing it to 'Export Hidden Objects'.
-Modified behavior of material exporter so that if all materials are exported to separate files, the main material file is not generated.

OgreMax Scene Exporter for Softimage/XSI
-Fixed a bug with 'prefix node animations with node prefix' scene setting not being read/written properly.
-Fixed issue with OgreMax texture unit reference parameters not being available for editing in Softimage 2010 and up.

OgreMax WinViewer
-Added handling for the escape key, which now deselects the currently selected object.
-Added orbiting functionality. Orbiting is performed by first selecting an object, then holding the right mouse button and dragging the mouse. To rotate the camera, deselect the current selection (by pressing the escape key or clicking on an empty portion of the scene) and then hold the right mouse button and drag the mouse (the same as before).
-Modified panel display logic so that the tree view and property windows don't automatically appear if an object is selected in the 3D view.
-Modified default camera movement speed to work better with the loaded scene, regardless of scaling.
-Modified the default near clip distance to be smaller to allow scenes with smaller scaling to be viewed more easily.
-Fixed a bug with the default camera positioning being incorrect when loading a scene or mesh with the viewer configured to use Z-up.

OgreMax Standard Viewer
-Modified default camera movement speed to work better with the loaded scene, regardless of scaling.
-Modified the default near clip distance to be smaller to allow scenes with smaller scaling to be viewed more easily.
-Fixed a bug with the default camera positioning being incorrect when loading a scene or mesh with the viewer configured to use Z-up.
iblues1976
Gnome

Post by iblues1976 »

I was looking at the source for OgreMax "Common" folder. I notice you use tinyxml. How do you load the scene in ogre. For example, I'm using the dotsceneloader from the wikis to load. However, either I was told or I read somewhere, that it would be better to load the scene when using OgreMax export, with your code.

thanks,
Francisco
shanefarris
Greenskin

Post by shanefarris »

Question on exporting. I can export a model just fine, but if I try to run a simple animation, the mesh gets all contorted like so:

Normal:

After I select an animation in Meshy:

Is there an setting somewhere that I should be looking at that would fix this? Is there something I missed?

Thanks.
Waruck
Goblin

Post by Waruck »

I don't use this exporter, but your images look like the skeleton is not at the correct position. You can show the bones in OgreMeshy to verify whether they are in the right position.
shanefarris
Greenskin

Post by shanefarris »

Waruck wrote:I don't use this exporter, but your images look like the skeleton is not at the correct position. You can show the bones in OgreMeshy to verify whether they are in the right position.
You're right, here are the bones exported:

Any suggestion how to export these bones correctly?
Waruck
Goblin

Post by Waruck »

Not sure about 3ds max, I use blender, but this usually happens if the skeleton and object are moved in the scene and have offsets in rotation or location. Usually the exporter ignores these movements and therefor the exported skeleton and object don't match. I can't see much in your picture but if this is the problem the skeleton should look right in the animations, but just doesn't match the mesh in its rest-state.
Blender has an option to apply scene-movement to the object and skeleton, but I don't know how to do this in 3ds max. Maybe someone experienced in 3ds max can tell you how to do it (or maybe you know how yourself)
nedelman
Gnome

Post by nedelman »

It could be any of the following:
-A combination of translating/scaling the mesh after binding the skeleton - If you need to resize your mesh, you should perform a "Reset XForm" on the mesh before binding the skeleton. This keeps the structure of the scene simpler, and closer to the structure of the exported data.
-Negative scale factors on the mesh - Negative scaling will cause a mesh to flip inside out, and depending on whether you've exported to a .scene or .mesh, will probably cause your skeleton to have some negative scaling too. As mentioned before, you should resize the mesh before binding a skeleton (the "Reset XForm" will get rid of the negative scaling).
-Negative scale factors on the skeleton - This usually happens because you used the standard "Mirror" tool to create the skeleton, which uses a negative scale on one or two axes to achieve the mirroring. Instead you should be using the "Bone Tools" version to create mirrored parts of a skeleton.
nedelman
Gnome

Post by nedelman »

OgreMax 2.4.2 is now available.

3DS Max:
-Added support for 3DS Max 2013.
-Added support for reparenting bones by using the 'Exported Parent' setting.
-Added the 'No Parent' object setting as a complement to the 'Exported Parent', which didn't allow a 'null' parent to be set.
-Added logic to prevent 3DS Max and OgreMax from holding onto unnecessary object settings and material references after some combination of merging of scenes.
-Added support for the Architectural material type.
-Added support for the shininess map on a Standard 3DS Max material. It's exported as a texture unit with additive blending and reflection environment mapping.
-Modified the export of transparency for the Standard material type, introducing a texture unit to more finely control the transparency level. Updated documentation.
-Modified the way 'Filter' and 'Subtractive' transparency in the Standard material type are exported. Previously, these were both exported with a subtractive type of look. However, this has been disabled (and all transparency is now 'additive') since it was confusing to have different results in the 3DS Max viewports and the exported scene.
-Fixed a bug with sky dome size not being scaled by scene scale.
-Fixed a bug with submesh texture coordinate settings being mapped incorrectly to meshes with multi-subobject materials.
-Fixed a bug with the 3DS Max sometimes crashing on close.

Maya:
-Added support for Maya 2013.
-Added the 'No Parent' object setting as a complement to the 'Exported Parent', which didn't allow a 'null' parent to be set.
-Added support for Mental Ray BSDF shaders: architectural, ashikhmin, car paint, lambert, and phong.
-Modified the export of transparency for the standard (phong, blinn, lambert) material type, introducing a texture unit to more finely control the transparency level. Updated documentation.

Softimage:
-Added support for Softimage 2013.
nedelman
Gnome

Post by nedelman »

OgreMax 2.4.4 is now available.

3DS Max:
-Added support for skeleton + morph mesh animation.
-Added support to texture map export for using the mapping channel as the texture unit's texture coordinate set.
-Add some logic to detect whether 3DS Max is being run as a network slave and if so no error dialogs are shown.
-Added settings to enable/disable query and visibility flags in the object settings dialog. This allows a "clear" flag to be exported (by enabling and then leaving the flags text box empty).
-Added render queue settings for subentities. These settings can be found on the Mesh page of the OgreMax object settings dialog.
-Added logic to sort materials by name during export.
-Updated all Ogre3D 1.8.x versions to use the latest Ogre3D 1.8.1 release.
-Modified OgreMax texture unit animated scrolling limit, increasing it to [-10, 10].
-Modified storage of log files and settings files, so that the user's 'AppData' directory is used instead.
-Increased default precision of spinner control when using user data class files.
-Increased the size of the "Bone Include/Exclude" text box.
-Modified installer text to let user know they may need to run as administrator. The message is now displayed after installation if the installer was not run under an administrator account.
-Fixed a bug that allowed some meshes with improper modifier stacks to be exported, sometimes causing 3DS Max to crash.
-Fixed a problem that sometimes occurred when exporting a skeleton-based animation directly to a .mesh file.

Maya:
-Added settings to enable/disable query and visibility flags in the object settings dialog. This allows a "clear" flag to be exported (by enabling and then leaving the flags text box empty).
-Added render queue settings for subentities. These settings can be found on the Mesh page of the OgreMax object settings dialog.
-Added support for pivot points.
-Modified OgreMax texture unit animated scrolling limit, increasing it to [-10, 10].
-Modified storage of log files and settings files, so that the user's 'AppData' directory is used instead.
-Increased default precision of spinner control when using user data class files.
-Modified installer text to let user know they may need to run as administrator. The message is now displayed after installation if the installer was not run under an administrator account.
-Fixed a problem that sometimes occurred when exporting a skeleton-based animation directly to a .mesh file.

Softimage:

Viewers:
-Added 'OutputDirectory' setting, for specifying where any output files are written.
-Added support to OgreMaxScene and OgreMaxModel for handling the way query and visibility flags are now exported.
-Added support to OgreMaxUtilities for handling the additional subentity data that's now exported.
nedelman
Gnome

Post by nedelman »

OgreMax 2.4.5 is now available.

3DS Max, Maya:
-Added support for 3DS Max 2014 and Maya 2014.

3DS Max, Maya, Softimage:
-Added 'Export Format / Ogre Binary Version' setting to the global settings dialog. This allows earlier Ogre3D binary file formats to be generated.
-Added 'Export Format / File Names' setting to the global settings dialog. This setting controls how file names for various resources (.mesh, .skeleton, .material, and .model files) are generated.
-Added 'Submeshes' tab to object settings page and moved the submesh settings from the Mesh page to this page.
-Added the 'Remove Bone Translations' settings in the Mesh Animation dialog. This setting had been removed from a previous release.
-Added logic to prevent materials with the same name from being exported. Additionally, if a duplicate is detected, a message is logged indicating that you should try enabling the 'Include Parent Material in Name' setting on the Materials page of the OgreMax Scene Settings dialog.
-Moved the 'Skeleton' settings from the 'Meshes' page of the scene settings dialog to the 'Animations' page.
-Modified .scene, .model, and user data exporting to include an XML declaration at the beginning of the file.
-Updated the XML format for exported meshes to follow the format used by the XML converter tools in Ogre3D 1.8.x.
-Updated the mesh merging feature to work with the submesh custom render queue settings.
-Fixed a bug with the the subentity 'renderQueue' setting not being exported if it's set to 'Main'.
-Fixed a bug with the subentity render queue/priority always being written to main/0 even if not customized.
-Fixed a bug with the query and visibility settings not being set for all objects when launching the OgreMax object settings dialog with multiple objects.

Viewer:
-Added near/far clip settings to the scene tree item. This controls the speed of the camera.
-Modified the way the default camera speed is calculated.
-Modified the default near/far camera clip distances to be more sensible.
nedelman
Gnome

Post by nedelman »

OgreMax 2.5

The main feature of this release is a completely new viewer application, available for the Windows desktop, Android (phones, tablets, and Ouya), as well as iPhone and iPad. A link to the Android app will be available soon on the OgreMax web site, and a link to the iPhone/iPad will be available by the end of November.

The newest release incorporates the following changes:

Exporter:
-Modified the precision of the scene scale 'divided by' setting, increasing its precision.
-Removed the 'OgreMax WinViewer' option from the global settings dialog, since this viewer has been discontinued.
-(3DS Max): Fixed bug that caused 3DS Max 2014 to crash when using enhanced menus in conjunction with the OgreMax menu.
-Fixed a bug with the compiled help files not being included with the installer.

Viewer:
-Added a completely new OgreMax Viewer, available for Windows, Android, iPad, iPhone, and Ouya.
-Added OgreMaxRuntimeCallback callback class for use with the OgreMaxScene loader.
-Added logic to update viewer window when it isn't active.
-Modified OgreMaxScene to store .scene file resource locations in a list to maintain their order.
-Modified behavior of 'keep log file' command-line parameter. If not specified, no log file will be generated.
-Fixed inconsistent movement/rotation behavior when using mouse, keyboard, and/or gamepad controls.
-Removed resources file command-line parameter.
-Removed plugins file command-line parameter.
-Removed support for external plugins.
-Removed support writing external controls file.
-Removed support for specifying a startup dialog.
-Removed 'lock camera' command-line parameter.
-Removed keyboard, mouse, and gamepad functionality from Lua script support.
-Removed the following methods from Lua script support: scene.LockViewCamera, scene.DefaultCameraChangeControlsEnabled, scene.DefaultCameraMotionControlsEnabled, scene.ViewerCamera, scene.SetCurrentCamera, scene.SetPreviousOrNextCamera, scene.GetCamera, scene.CameraCount, scene.CameraMoveSpeed.
-Removed the old OgreMax 'WinViewer' viewer.
DJL
Gnoblar

Re: OgreMax Exporter 2.5 for 3DS Max, Maya, and Softimage

Post by DJL »

Is there an exporter for Maya on Mac OS X? If not, will this work under Parallels?
nedelman
Gnome

Post by nedelman »

The exporter is Windows-only. I have no idea if it will work when running through a VM.
nedelman
Gnome

Post by nedelman »

OgreMax 2.5.1 is now available.

Exporters:
-Unchanged

Viewers:
-Added OS X viewer.
-Modified layout, improving the appearance of the UI.
-Fixed a bug with buttons capturing mouse 'up' events, causing the scene camera to spin unexpectedly.