3D Model Import into Ogre?

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
3DModel
Gnoblar

3D Model Import into Ogre?

Post by 3DModel »

Please let me know the procedure to import a 3D model into Ogre, and if this is possible for a newly designed mesh that Ogre previously does not have. What program should I download? I have tried Google Sketchup, Blender, and other programs. Also, what is the cost for 3D model download programs? Thanks.
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: 3D Model Import into Ogre?

Post by spacegaier »

There is a big collection of exporters for all the commonly used 3D modelling tools here in the wiki. I personally use Blender as it is really fully featured and doesn't cost a single penny.

So you can basically use every tool for which as exporter exists (or write your own ;) ) and creates your models / worlds there and then export to the format Ogre uses: .mesh. It's as easy as that...
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
3DModel
Gnoblar

Post by 3DModel »

I have already tried using Blender to export directly to Ogre. Could you please tell me the procedure to follow? Are there certain types of files that Blender can use to export to a mesh file?
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

Download the exporter (http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Blender_Exporter) and put the OgreBlenderExporter sricpt (a python script) in the script folder of Blender. If this is done correctly, the Ogre export sricpt should be available under File > Export > Ogre Meshes.

Then you should also download the OgreCommandLineTools to get the OgreXMLConverter. You have to specify the path this converter lies in, in the blender export process.

So just create an object in Blender (e.g. take the standard cube that is there when you start up Blender), select it and choose the export srcipt (File > Export > Ogre Mesh). Type in the path to the OgreXMLConverter in the tab "Preferences" and choose the path were to export the new Ogre mesh and hit Export. Also make sure that the button "OgreXMLConverter" is pressed.

This export procedure will create three files: A .mesh, an XML file and a material file.
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
3DModel
Gnoblar

Post by 3DModel »

Thank you very much for your help! It works.
mira
Gnoblar

Post by mira »

Hello,

I'm a beginner and I'm trying to import a model into Ogre3D with Maya via OgreMax Exporter, and Ogre Exporter for Maya . I try to do it, I get a mesh file as a result, but when I try to import it in the code, I get an empty viewport. Can you help ?