hartsantler the main author and maintainer has very little time nowadays to keep working on the addon. I'm from Adminotech Ltd. and we work on the realXtend Tundra project. Tundra uses Ogre as its rendering engine so we needed a nice plugin from blender to ogre. We have sponsored (paid) for some of the features we need to hartsantler as I guess you could see from the "Sponsors Adminotech Ltd." in the README.txt. Anyways, we want to continue doing work on this plugin.
I have made a new 0.5.8 release that fixes several issue with the addon since the 2.63 update (0.5.7-preview.rar). I've also checked the issue tracker and fixed what I could, mainly things that people attached source code fixes to. Quite many of my fixes target the .txml export in particular as it had the most bugs, and our artists use it most. However there are other nice things like .exe installer that has auto update checks and ships with the OgreXmlConverter (1. tool and the script picks it up from there, no need to configure anything (except if you want to use the optional dependencies: OgreMeshy, texture tools etc.). The .exe installer also copies the main .py script into the correct path in Blender if it Blender install location can be detected, this is done via the registry so it should work quite well if you have used the windows installers for Blender, instead of building from sources or using some .zip archive. The addon .py script is also removed from Blender when you install blender2ogre.
I'd be happy if people could help out testing the new plugin. Also if you encounter problems please use the issue tracker to report problems, if it is something related to the 3D manipulations from blender objects to Ogre form please provide source code how to fix the issue I'm not an expert on Blender nor Ogre internals, someone just needed to pick up the development, but I'll do my best.
- Added silent auto update checks if blender2ogre was installed using the .exe installer. This will keep people up to date when new versions are out.
- Fix tracker issue 48: Needs to check if outputting to /tmp or ~/.wine/drive_c/tmp on Linux. Thanks to vax456 for providing the patch, added him to contributors. Preview mesh's are now placed under /tmp on Linux systems if the OgreMeshy executable ends with .exe
- Fix tracker issue 46: add operationtype to <submesh>
- Implement a modal dialog that reports if material names have invalid characters and cant be saved on disk. This small popup will show until user presses left or right mouse (anywhere).
- Fix tracker issue 44: XML Attributes not properly escaped in .scene file
- Implemented reading OgreXmlConverter path from windows registry. The .exe installer will ship with certain tools so we can stop guessing and making the user install tools separately and setting up paths.
- Fix bug that .mesh files were not generated while doing a .txml export. This was result of the late 2.63 mods that forgot to update object facecount before determining if mesh should be exported.
- Fix bug that changed settings in the export dialog were forgotten when you re-exported without closing blender. Now settings should persist always from the last export. They are also stored to disk so the same settings are in use when if you restart Blender.
- Fix bug that once you did a export, the next time the export location was forgotten. Now on sequential exports, the last export path is remembered in the export dialog.
- Remove all local:// from asset refs and make them relative in .txml export. Having relative refs is the best for local preview and importing the txml to existing scenes.
- Make .material generate what version of this plugins was used to generate the material file. Will be helpful in production to catch things. Added pretty printing line endings so the raw .material data is easier to read.
- Improve console logging for the export stages. Run Blender from cmd prompt to see this information.
- Clean/fix documentation in code for future development
- Add todo to code for future development
- Restructure/move code for easier readability
- Remove extra white spaces and convert tabs to space
Release commit http://code.google.com/p/blender2ogre/source/detail?r=0193c36dbcd38c6f325d3412830a22922a13cf2d
P.S. Unfortunately I cant edit the first post of this thread so there will be some old links, if there are any admins that could help out with that I'd appreciate it