3D painting on Ogre format meshes?

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
simedj
Goblin

3D painting on Ogre format meshes?

Post by simedj »

Does anyone know of any tools which do 3D painting (painting textures or vertex colors on the 3D model directly) and load .mesh/.scene files directly?

If there isn't such a tool, would it be of any use as a possible open-source project? Or would everybody just get their artists to do this in 3DS/Maya/etc?
Looking to find experienced Ogre & shader developers/artists. PM me with a contact email address if interested.
c6burns
Beholder

Re: 3D painting on Ogre format meshes?

Post by c6burns »

I have used Mudbox for this. I have a .obj loader as part of our backend for dumping terrain out to Mudbox for paint/sculpt. Mudbox also has integration to Max that can pull out objects right from an open Max scene (and push them back). That might seem convoluted unless max->mudbox->max is already part of your standard workflow, which for me it is ... for characters for example, they get modelled in max, finishing sculpt + paint + map export in mudbox -> brought back to max for animation, etc.

PS - just wait till you get someone who wants to work in motionbuilder after that ... max->mudbox->max->motionbuilder->max->ogre export lol :D