[SOLVED] Add transparency channel

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
iblues1976
Gnome

[SOLVED] Add transparency channel

Post by iblues1976 »

Hello,

I have a jpg that I'm using as texture. How can I add a transparency channel? It is a sphere and I want the people to be able to see from outside the sphere (see a bit) what is inside...

here is the link to the jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i2yx43c1imbs ... 7EAntMzhMa

I'm not an artist. I wonder how is this done (assuming that is possible)

Thanks
Last edited by iblues1976 on Sun May 18, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c6burns
Beholder

Re: Add transparency channel

Post by c6burns »

jpg don't have a channel for transparency, so you'll need to switch to another format like png. I've been using photoshop lately, which has a channel rollout in the same panel as layers. I assume gimp has something equally simple, but it's been a while since I used it.
iblues1976
Gnome

Post by iblues1976 »

I have photoshop in my mac. I can do it when I get home.

So switch format... and how do I do the transparency roll out in photoshop? Is that simple? just that?

Thanks
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

In the windows version of CS6 ... its Window->Layers or F7. Then you can swap to the channels tab and work specifically on a transparency channel (or any combination of channels in your current image mode). Also you can just use a tool that supports transparency (like eraser or magic eraser) and create transparent sections that way, but you will need to save into a format that supports transparency at the end.